Head Scratchers and Jaw Droppers, Chapter Cuatro

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
Things are starting to settle in - or settle down - in Week Four. I'm not seeing any huge upsets like there is in the first couple of weeks. But with that said - there are a few notable games that should be noted. Obviously I'm probably going to leave your favorite game off, so please include it here.

Head Scratcher of Week 4 is the Hermleigh v. Motley County. D-1 Hermleigh up by 10 late in the 3rd with D-2 MC on the move, scoring 14 unanswered points - then the lightning comes. This game begs for a proper ending.

The weather in the panhandle gets an honorable mention head scratch. But then again, scratching one's head is pretty much the standard reaction to weather in the panhandle.

Jaw Dropper of the week: Abbott over Blum. Blum came in as an almost 30-point favorite, and leave the field with a 6-point loss. Is there some backstory to this score fest?

Prayers go out to Coach Riley of Fort Elliott. Here's hoping you're back to screaming at officials ASAP.

I am very surprised by the Milford/Oakwood score. Milford was a huge favorite and lost by 10. Either credit to Oakwood or what happened to Milford...

Congrats to the teams that won. Others... hope it goes the other way next week.

Milford had a couple players out...they are still a good team..Oakwood had a good game defensively. I know you say Milford scored 44 points how was a good defensive game. Stops, Oakwood was lucky enough to get some key stops and a pick six for 75 yards. The final straw was an onside kick return for a TD for Oakwood. Milford will make some noise when they are healthy. Oakwood got a break in a rebuilding year to get a win against a very good quality opponent. I am very proud of my Oakwood guys for not bowing out like I have been told they tend to do. We fought tooth and nail till the end. I have been coaching 15 years now(rookie by some accounts) but last night was a great football game. Great job by BOTH teams.

When you get to see 150 points put up by both teams, that should automatically qualify as a Jaw Dropper. There were at least 6 such games that caught my eye:

1. Anton vs. Water Valley - 180 total points and the margin of victory for Anton was 8 points. (94-86)

2. Bellville Faith vs. Lake Jackson Brazosport Christian - 157 total points and Bellville won by a single point. (79-78)

3. Marshall Christian Academy vs. Leverett's Chapel - I wasn't there, but 191 total points has to be one of the most exciting games ever to end by the 45-point rule. (119-72)

4. Read Oak Ovilla Christian vs. Richardson Canyon Creek Christian - 159 total points makes the list, too (92-67)

5. Strawn vs. Granbury Cornerstone - 168 total points. Another 8-point game. (88-80)

6. Willow Park Trinity vs. Lucas Christian - 151 total points is just good enough to make it into the 150 point club (87-64)

Not your heavyweights, but this hits the 150 point target.
Evant 80, Cedar Park Summit 74
Both undefeated going in and Evant came back from a 38-48 halftime deficit on the road.

What a week of amazing football games.
Lots of close games.
Lots of high scoring games.
At least 3 games ending early, for other than 45 reasons - Thunderstorm, Power Outage & Coach Joe Riley from Ft. Elliot having a heart attack on the sideline (prayers going up).
Upsets
Games that we expected to be close that ended up not being close.
How about the Jonesboro vs Zephyr game. That made me scratch my head.
By the way - What comes up on your spellcheck for Jonesboro. It may have something to do with what they do with opponents this year. That is kind of a jaw dropper. If your spell check does the same as mine anyway.

Texman301":yh0b9cmi said:
Milford had a couple players out...they are still a good team..Oakwood had a good game defensively. I know you say Milford scored 44 points how was a good defensive game. Stops, Oakwood was lucky enough to get some key stops and a pick six for 75 yards. The final straw was an onside kick return for a TD for Oakwood. Milford will make some noise when they are healthy. Oakwood got a break in a rebuilding year to get a win against a very good quality opponent. I am very proud of my Oakwood guys for not bowing out like I have been told they tend to do. We fought tooth and nail till the end. I have been coaching 15 years now(rookie by some accounts) but last night was a great football game. Great job by BOTH teams.

So congrats to Oakwood. Sounds like we missed a good one.

Jonesboro looks to be the REAL deal. They'll go into that 2nd round playoff match up undefeated playing a 1 loss (crowell) calvert team.
I just believe this is Jonesboro's year. They let the calvert game last slip away in OT last yr.
Jonesboro beats calvert by 22, beats Richland Springs by 16 and they go onto win the state title.

If J-Bird would have had their pass defense together in the first quarter it would have been a mercy rule! props to Zephyr though, they played ball all the way to the end of the game.

Kramer":13agmhm6 said:
Jonesboro looks to be the REAL deal. They'll go into that 2nd round playoff match up undefeated playing a 1 loss (crowell) calvert team.
I just believe this is Jonesboro's year. They let the calvert game last slip away in OT last yr.
Jonesboro beats calvert by 22, beats Richland Springs by 16 and they go onto win the state title.

I hear crow does not taste very good!

Well if you go below the 150 range Gorman over Stephenville Faith 52-50 sounds like a helluva game. A new team to sixman against a repeat state champion.
Zephyr did take JB the whole game.
Balmorea took RS the whole game. Last game for the soph',s freshmen to get experience in both cases?
Did Rochelle make another statement?
Ira didn't dominate.
To quote another poster, "I guess Abbott woke up."
Gordon 42, Rising Star28, guess Mackey and Jorgenson are still injured?
The Anton - Water Valley begs for completion also, 94-86 when a transformer blew with 1:22 left.
Hermlieg MC does also beg for conclusion, they dominated early, could they have finished?
This is the last week of finalizing starters for district for may teams and giving much varsity experience to younger players for others. The next two are getting ready for district if you have a chance of competing.
IMHO, as a non Coach.

Anyone assuming Crowell will trump Calvert may be laying their neck on the proverbial chopping block, or is making reference to 2014.
In 2015 all the beasts but one are in Division II East.

"Balmorhea took RS the whole game. Last game for the soph',s freshmen to get experience in both cases?"
RS will continue to play fresh & sophs......... Not much choice judging from the program. Balmorhea has a good team with speed........

smokeyjoe53":24s8suy7 said:
"Balmorhea took RS the whole game. Last game for the soph',s freshmen to get experience in both cases?"
RS will continue to play fresh & sophs......... Not much choice judging from the program. Balmorhea has a good team with speed........

Yes sir (I think your a little older than I), Testimony to Coach Burkhart and the Community on their ability to produce consistent Winners with younger players. Hard to believe I'm posting this on a thread started by RJ.

texas man":27adpu9n said:
Jorgenson played according to this article
http://www.mineralwellsindex.com/sports ... d15a9.html
Mackey even played a few snaps

I'll say hes back. 170 + yards on 17 carries, a passing TD. 14-14 at the half. 22-22 end of the third. RS scoring with a little over a minute left to make it a one score game before Gordon put it away. Sounds like a heck of a game. I'm guilty of not giving RS enough credit. Mackey might have blown it open if healthy.

51eleven":338c9vcy said:
texas man":338c9vcy said:
Jorgenson played according to this article

I'll say hes back. 170 + yards on 17 carries, a passing TD. 14-14 at the half. 22-22 end of the third. RS scoring with a little over a minute left to make it a one score game before Gordon put it away. Sounds like a heck of a game. I'm guilty of not giving RS enough credit. Mackey might have blown it open if healthy.

Jorgy played both ways most of the game. His burst up the middle for a long TD run to seal the game late was as good as it gets. Mackey played a few snaps early and looked to be moving well then showed signs of an obvious limp. His night was over before it got started. Stockstill is my surprise through the first four weeks. Really good receiving threat and an outstanding pass defender. Brown is the defensive star through the first four weeks. Makes plays at the line of scrimmage and short pass drops into coverage,
Boucher for Rising Star is a highly regarded spread back but he never got untracked, his receivers didn't give him much help. Gordon defense had a lot to do with that. He had a couple of nice runs, but mostly there were no lanes to tuck the ball and run.

Back