Head Scratchers and Jaw Droppers, Pt. Deux

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
Seems as though things settled down a bit this week after a pretty wild week one. Here's my list of 'Oh wow!' and 'Really?' games for week 2

1. The no. 1 Blum whatever-they-ares (Tigers?) - they're in the East, so I won't be bothered with proper mascots - had a much closer outcome than I had imagined over private school, Rockwall Heritage. More of a mild head scratcher simply because they are #1 right now.

2. Ira over Grady - no huge shock to me other than Ira went in as like a 5-10 point dog. I'm just not used to seeing Ira ranked so low.

3. McLean over Groom. This was a shock. I think they meet again in district play, so maybe this was a sandbag game. But nonetheless, It was a bit of a jaw dropper upon reading the final score.

4. Probably the biggest head scratcher continues to be Water Valley. An 0-2 start just doesn't sound right.

And one game that really has nothing to do with rankings or traditional expectations is the Silverton Owls and they're 2-0 start. It is a bit of a jaw dropper for me.

The only head scratching and jaw dropping here is for the Strawn Greyhounds. I'm sure that they scratched their head all the way back home just wondering what in the heck did they run into. That's what happens when the Hornets are on the sting!

Heard a rumor that on the last play from scrimmage Rockwall Heritage scored but ref called him down on half yard line. If they did cross the goal line, and score was 42-52, is Blum down this year? Or is Rockwall Heritage up this year? Gonna be fun to see how it all plays out!

Johnny South":1id22k25 said:
The only head scratching and jaw dropping here is for the Strawn Greyhounds. I'm sure that they scratched their head all the way back home just wondering what in the heck did they run into. That's what happens when the Hornets are on the sting!

My bad. I totally missed the Strawn - Rochelle score. No offense to Rochelle, but that particular score should shock everyone. Pretty sure there are even some Rochelle faithful wondering exactly how that happened.

RocketMan4":1kpguws1 said:
Heard a rumor that on the last play from scrimmage Rockwall Heritage scored but ref called him down on half yard line. If they did cross the goal line, and score was 42-52, is Blum down this year? Or is Rockwall Heritage up this year? Gonna be fun to see how it all plays out!

My bet would be it was someone from about 90 yards away saying someone scored and the ref got it wrong. But I may be a little biased.

Here is another head scratcher, Loraine's 0-2 start. I am definitely scratching my head trying to figure-out what is going on there.....???? Thing is their loses aren't even close.

RainnyJack you probally need to stay in the west cause no one in the east is too shocked by Rochelle. They were young last year and played a brutal schedule and showed promise. They returned everyone and have a legit stud so I expected them to be a contender this year.

I pretty much never post or comment on here unless it's in the "Games Needed" section, but I wanted to respond to this. To suggest one possible reason HCA played us close is because "Blum is down" wouldn't be fair to them. Sure, maybe we're down, it's only week 2 and time will tell, but Heritage has a very good football team and I have no doubt they'll have a successful season. We knew coming into it they would give us all we wanted and more, and they did just that. Not real sure where 42-52 came from, but in regards to the last play, the ball carrier wasn't called down at the half yard line, he was deemed to of fumbled the ball through the endzone before crossing the goal line. It was a great atmosphere and a fun game to be a part of, and I wish nothing but the best to Rockwall the rest of the season!

truthhurts04":2p4r90cl said:
RainnyJack you probally need to stay in the west cause no one in the east is too shocked by Rochelle. They were young last year and played a brutal schedule and showed promise. They returned everyone and have a legit stud so I expected them to be a contender this year.

I make no bones about my love for the west, or my ambivalence towards the east. I just don't want it to offend anyone. LOL, what am I saying? I want everything I say to offend.

CoachMcFarlin":d8trca2z said:

I pretty much never post or comment on here unless it's in the "Games Needed" section, but I wanted to respond to this. To suggest one possible reason HCA played us close is because "Blum is down" wouldn't be fair to them. Sure, maybe we're down, it's only week 2 and time will tell, but Heritage has a very good football team and I have no doubt they'll have a successful season. We knew coming into it they would give us all we wanted and more, and they did just that. Not real sure where 42-52 came from, but in regards to the last play, the ball carrier wasn't called down at the half yard line, he was deemed to of fumbled the ball through the endzone before crossing the goal line. It was a great atmosphere and a fun game to be a part of, and I wish nothing but the best to Rockwall the rest of the season!

Thanks for the update! Good luck to Blum and Rockwall Heritage!

Blum bobcats, rainjack, bobcats. They are not quite at the level of play that they were last year when they beat Abbott for the second time. They have two or three really good players right now and I have no doubt that their Coach will bring the level of play up on some others before they hit district.

Strawn, Rochelle game did not surprise me at all. I had seen both play earlier this year and kind of expected it. Coach Lee has two experienced players, all others have a way to go before they will be playoff ready.

Rainjack, do you have a prediction this week on Valley and Happy?

rainjacktx":2b6ywsbe said:
Johnny South":2b6ywsbe said:

My bad. I totally missed the Strawn - Rochelle score. No offense to Rochelle, but that particular score should shock everyone. Pretty sure there are even some Rochelle faithful wondering exactly how that happened.

Sorry, R.Jack, but nobody is shocked around here. All ofthe Rochelle faithful know exactly how it happened. Rochelle is Good, and Strawn isn't.

Blue Bird":31ka768h said:
Rainjack, do you have a prediction this week on Valley and Happy?

Other than it is, hands-down, the game of the week - no.

I've seen Happy. I've not seen Valley. Happy is as good as I thought they were. Valley has shocked me with their domination this early.

I'll take the fall-back position and say it will come down to execution. The really sad thing is this will likely be a prequel to the second round of the playoffs. If either team were in the east, they would easily be playing in Abilene on the last week of the season.

IMO, the Blum-Strawn matchup Week 1 featured 2 teams that are down this year compared to the past few years.
Strawn is not that great this year. They get whipped by a Blum team that returns very few players from last years team and get 45's by Rochelle.
Blum only beats Rockwall Heritage by 2-3 scores. Both are overrated at this point.

Back