Greatest Six Man Fan

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
No offense, but we have a "greatest 6-man player of all time" thread starting, or being resurrected, every season. I mean how many times can you read the lists without committing at least 7 players names to memory?

And really - how important is ranking the top ten players of all-time anyway? The kids show up, play for 4 years, then disappear.

What's the one constant in just about any 6-man community?

The players? nope. Like I said, they're 4 and out at best.
The coaches? lol. In most cases, they don't last as long as the players.
The cheeleaders? They last as long as the players.

The one constant is the fan. The superfan. The person who makes a name for them self because of their blind, militant, year-in-year-out support of their team. The fan who lives and dies on every play. The fan that makes every game, regardless of record, and regardless of distance.

Who are your top superfans?

My list is short and a little out-dated.

1. The football uniform guy from Happy. He's retired now, but he wore a full football uniform and rattled the crap out of a propane bottle full of rocks for so many years that the irritating sound still echos in my head to this day.

2. Guy Young from Valley. He's semi-retired but still announces the home games. Playing in Valley Air America Tire Center Nail Salon and Football Stadium (aka the sticker patch) as a visitor was made that much worse when Guy fired up the microphone. In a strange twist of Karmic fate, he quickly became the greatest home announcer in all of 6-man in 2011. Regardless, he loves his Patriots with a passion that has fueled hours of conversation in his office.

3. Cowboy P from Aquilla. Anyone that sports a colored mohawk is a superfan in my book, especially for a team that isn't all that famous for playing football in late November or early December. He's quickly transcending superfan status, and attempting to claw up to the ranks of Granger, Oneday, the late Don Hardin, among a few others.

I don't know that many six man fans, but just from their contributions to this board I would add Old Bearkat, Leman Saunders and fajitapete. Actually Pete for all the miles he has driven and the (bad) frito pies he has endured.

I would have to say Don Hardin #1. And a close second would have to be Leman, especially for all the work he has done for our game outside of this site. It's an honor to call him my friend. I would also have to say fajitapete and rainjack. Rainjack has helped out with canam bowls and we have to endure him on this site! ;)

Fajitapete, hornkeeper, and well, me!
Don will rank #1 until someone else is willing to drive 8,000+ miles in a season to watch various teams.

There would be two different categories here. The first, being the fan of the game. That category includes at #1 all time über-fan Don Hardin, cowboy, Leman, etc.

The second would be the ultimate hometown fan. The guy from Knox City, the megaphone lady from Richland Springs, cowboy, and Rainjack.

The fan, the 7th man, the backers are such a big part of the game, as ultimately, the game itself is entertainment, and the entertainees are the fan.

rainjacktx":2yhan0a4 said:
No offense, but we have a "greatest 6-man player of all time" thread starting, or being resurrected, every season. I mean how many times can you read the lists without committing at least 7 players names to memory?

And really - how important is ranking the top ten players of all-time anyway? The kids show up, play for 4 years, then disappear.

The one constant is the fan. The superfan. The person who makes a name for them self because of their blind, militant, year-in-year-out support of their team. The fan who lives and dies on every play. The fan that makes every game, regardless of record, and regardless of distance.

1. The football uniform guy from Happy. He's retired now, but he wore a full football uniform and rattled the crap out of a propane bottle full of rocks for so many years that the irritating sound still echos in my head to this day.

2. Guy Young from Valley. He's semi-retired but still announces the home games. Playing in Valley Air America Tire Center Nail Salon and Football Stadium (aka the sticker patch) as a visitor was made that much worse when Guy fired up the microphone. In a strange twist of Karmic fate, he quickly became the greatest home announcer in all of 6-man in 2011. Regardless, he loves his Patriots with a passion that has fueled hours of conversation in his office.

3. Cowboy P from Aquilla. Anyone that sports a colored mohawk is a superfan in my book, especially for a team that isn't all that famous for playing football in late November or early December. He's quickly transcending superfan status, and attempting to claw up to the ranks of Granger, Oneday, the late Don Hardin, among a few others.

The guy from Happy should be in there. He was the cause of many a parent rumble.

I would have to say a gentleman from Miami. I dont know his name. However, he knows me, knows my kids and I am not even from Miami. He is at every football game, every basketball game, every track meet, and I think I even saw him at the district tennis meet last year. He doesnt have all the colorful things like the Happy Cowboy or Cowboy P but he is always there. On top of that, at track meets, he cheers for everyone regardless of where they are from.

The gentleman from Miami's name is Bill. This guy even shows up at our track meet 3 or 4 hours early so he can get the best parking spot.

rainjacktx":2nuclups said:

I remember your #1 from our first sixman playoff game. I figured he would give out before the half but he kept it up till the game was over.

#3 ranks pretty high on my list!! ;-)

Back