Will Thursday and Saturday games become commonplace in six-man football?

jamwash

Six-man fan
Now that we're a little over 24 hours from the new season, I have been recently thinking about the referee shortage. I don't know how much it affects the six-man games compared to the 11 man variety, but I feel like Thursday and Saturday games will happen more often in the near future unless there is a quick fix to the issue. The reason why I'm asking this is that I feel conflicted if I want it to happen or not. Of course I love the Friday night lights and the community aspect of the games, but at the same time I would be nice to be able to listen and watch games on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Also, knowing that neutral sited games happens more often in six-man, it would be nice to see double and maybe triple headers of non district games at places like Robert Lee and Hermleigh so fans go see multiple games in one day, similar to the Jayton classic.

With all that being said, I'm just glad that football is back.

My expectations is within the next 5 years small school Friday night lights will be replaced with Thursday games, between the red shortage and schools pivoting to 4 day school weeks.

I can't speak for others, but I do know we (Loraine ISD) already have this problem. The Permian Basin Chapter has been able to work it out for us to play all our home games on Fridays this year. However, in the past we have had to move multiple games to Thursdays, or flip the game to our opponents venue to keep games on Friday. I'm sure this will be a continuing issue that will affect more schools moving forward. Especially, those districts that are on the outer edges of coverage for the officials chapters. The chapters we have dealt with have done their best, but when you are the farthest school they cover, you will obviously be the 1st call when they don't have enough crews to cover Friday night games.

I know you guys hate to here the term "back in the day" or "when I played", but when I played all Jr. High game were on Tuesday and most varsity games were on Thursday. With the increasing prevalence of four day weeks, I think that those playing dates will make a comeback.

I know you guys hate to here the term "back in the day" or "when I played", but when I played all Jr. High game were on Tuesday and most varsity games were on Thursday. With the increasing prevalence of four day weeks, I think that those playing dates will make a comeback.
My question is, will schools who decide to have 4 day weeks decide on having Friday classes and taking Mondays off?

Alot of schools could use Volunteers for officiating JV games too. When Varsity games happen on Thursdays and Saturdays alot of JV games need help with officials because crews are having to do Varsity games instead.

My question is, will schools who decide to have 4 day weeks decide on having Friday classes and taking Mondays off?
Strawn went to a four day week last year and had Mondays off. Gordon also goes four days a week but they have Fridays off (unless that has changed this year). Also heard Ranger will be going to four days a week but not sure what day they will take off. I’m sure there will be a mixed bag of schools with different days off as more decide to move to the four day week. As of now from what I’ve in our area be it a 1A school or bigger, the norm is to take Fridays off as Strawn is the only town I know of that takes off Mondays.

I've heard of schools that do Mondays off before winter/Christmas break and Fridays off afterwards. That might be a good compromise for schools not wanting to be out of school on football Friday.

Strawn went to a four day week last year and had Mondays off. Gordon also goes four days a week but they have Fridays off (unless that has changed this year). Also heard Ranger will be going to four days a week but not sure what day they will take off. I’m sure there will be a mixed bag of schools with different days off as more decide to move to the four day week. As of now from what I’ve in our area be it a 1A school or bigger, the norm is to take Fridays off as Strawn is the only town I know of that takes off Mondays.
I do know that there are schools that have early dismissal on game days. I do believe that schools have to fulfill a certain of days instead of hours (from what I remember). I wonder if those days are considered half days or whole days.

Coaches need to encourage our sixman graduates to get certified to officiate while in college and only call sixman games. I’ve seen the checks these guys are getting for one game. You pull good money on a weekend. Seems like a good gig for a college kid.

Coaches need to encourage our sixman graduates to get certified to officiate while in college and only call sixman games. I’ve seen the checks these guys are getting for one game. You pull good money on a weekend. Seems like a good gig for a college kid.
That is what I would like to see. The main question is does officiating chapters allow that?

The problem I see with the ref shortage is most kids that are graduating and going to college today are too soft and they don't like to be yelled at or chewed out by coaches or fans. I am not putting our new generation down but I work with a lot of younger folks and I see it all the time.

The problem I see with the ref shortage is most kids that are graduating and going to college today are too soft and they don't like to be yelled at or chewed out by coaches or fans. I am not putting our new generation down but I work with a lot of younger folks and I see it all the time.
I agree with you but why don't we try to be better about yelling at officials. Fans and coaches treat them so poorly, why would anyone want to sign up for that?

I totally agree with you coach! I think that it is going to have to get better or referee crews will become non-existent. I just hope it happens sooner than later.

Back