Will Thursday and Saturday games become commonplace in six-man football?

The problem I see with the ref shortage is most kids that are graduating and going to college today are too soft and they don't like to be yelled at or chewed out by coaches or fans. I am not putting our new generation down but I work with a lot of younger folks and I see it all the time.
It's not not even the "softness" of this generation. They go to the games and see the example that's displayed by their parents. They see what happens to referees and are deciding that won't be them until they otherwise see improvement.

I agree with you but why don't we try to be better about yelling at officials. Fans and coaches treat them so poorly, why would anyone want to sign up for that?
Exactly. Unless we're all cool on having Thursday and Saturday games and non district double and triple headers at a neutral sited location (which I believe the majority doesn't want)

I totally agree with you coach! I think that it is going to have to get better or referee crews will become non-existent. I just hope it happens sooner than later.
We know what the solution is to fix the referee shortage for the short and long term. The question is how do you implement it?

The problem I see with the ref shortage is most kids that are graduating and going to college today are too soft and they don't like to be yelled at or chewed out by coaches or fans. I am not putting our new generation down but I work with a lot of younger folks and I see it all the time.
I have officiated all 3 main sports for over 25 yrs. The younger generation don't quit because of coaches, it's because of how parents act. Most the time anyways

I have officiated all 3 main sports for over 25 yrs. The younger generation don't quit because of coaches, it's because of how parents act. Most the time anyways
so how do we fix this? because I believe parent behavior will not change anytime soon

so how do we fix this? because I believe parent behavior will not change anytime soon
I wish I knew but I don't have a solution. 2 of my grown kids still officiate and 2 of my others quit. It's going to end up school employees start officiating non varsity games.

wait what?
An incident happened in the Marfa/Sanderson game a few years ago, maybe four years ago?

Scuffle broke out, Sanderson coach stepped in to break it up. Pulled a Marfa kid off the pile then stuff kinda got out of hand from there on.

Coaches need to encourage our sixman graduates to get certified to officiate while in college and only call sixman games. I’ve seen the checks these guys are getting for one game. You pull good money on a weekend. Seems like a good gig for a college kid.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but officials aren't getting rich off of this avocation, and especially not calling six man.

Current pay structure is based off the gross gate fee, plus travel, depending on how far you have to drive from your chapter's location. If the gross gate is $150-4,000, then the pay is $95. The vast majority of six-man games fall into this range. Travel is $20 if the drive is 1-30 miles, $35 if you drive 31-60 miles, and $50 if you drive 61-90 miles )above that, it's the IRS mileage rate). So at best, for a six-man game, I'll pull in $145. Plus gas. Plus grabbing something to eat (in my experience, if the home team loses, you're on your own; if they win, you might get a burger.) Plus time. If I'm the furthest band, that adds on average 1.25 - 1.5 hours of windshield time, each way.

And for a 7pm kickoff, I'm potentially leaving my house at 4:30, the game ends at 9, 30 min to get cleaned up, then drive home, and arrive around 11 pm if not later. That's potentially 7 hours of time. Not to mention time spent studying, cost of uniforms, attending meetings, etc.

As a side note - you can see what officials make in each sport for the next 10 years here, negotiated between TASO and UIL: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/Sports_Officials_10_Year_Fee_Schedule.pdf

I am not a fan of this, because of what others have said - it locks us in, for a super low rate, forever. We no longer have leverage to use increased pay as a mechanism to attract more officials. So yeah, what's coming, will be Thur-Sat games for six-man, and subvarsity games will likely be covered by school staff or parents. It is what it is.

Second side note - officials pay being based off gross gate receipts is one of the two most corrupt practices in all of sports. It's incredibly common to have schools - 5 and 6a - pay the lowest band. They aren't required to provide proof of the gate receipts. I've worked one single game where I made more than the bare minimum and that was a playoff game. Only way to challenge it, is for officials to file a FOIA request to the school to see what was actually made. And when that happens, it's a given that the school/coaches are going to scratch you from future assignments... which leads into the second most corrupt practice - allowing coaches to pick officials. That's a whole other conversation, but there's literally no other level of sports, at any level, that allows coaches to pick who officiates their games. It is a corrupt practice and leads to officials soliciting, and coaches happily choosing the crews that give them calls so they get picked in the future. I've had a six-man coach tell me if I make a particular call against his team again, that he would make sure I didn't get selected for any playoff games. I did, because they did it again, and he did too. But, again, that's a topic for a different day.

Third side note - Outside what I mentioned above, I've rarely had problems with varsity or sub-varsity coaches or parents, except those that coach youth football. I've tossed at least 3 in the last three years, including one yesterday. I used to coach, even when my kid wasn't playing, and was always respectful to refs, even when I didn't get a call I wanted. Every year I help out with youth ball thinking it will be better this go around, and every year is exactly the same if not worse. So, if your kid is playing youth ball and you have to get on the field because officials refuse to work them, sorry not sorry.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but officials aren't getting rich off of this avocation, and especially not calling six man.

Current pay structure is based off the gross gate fee, plus travel, depending on how far you have to drive from your chapter's location. If the gross gate is $150-4,000, then the pay is $95. The vast majority of six-man games fall into this range. Travel is $20 if the drive is 1-30 miles, $35 if you drive 31-60 miles, and $50 if you drive 61-90 miles )above that, it's the IRS mileage rate). So at best, for a six-man game, I'll pull in $145. Plus gas. Plus grabbing something to eat (in my experience, if the home team loses, you're on your own; if they win, you might get a burger.) Plus time. If I'm the furthest band, that adds on average 1.25 - 1.5 hours of windshield time, each way.

And for a 7pm kickoff, I'm potentially leaving my house at 4:30, the game ends at 9, 30 min to get cleaned up, then drive home, and arrive around 11 pm if not later. That's potentially 7 hours of time. Not to mention time spent studying, cost of uniforms, attending meetings, etc.

As a side note - you can see what officials make in each sport for the next 10 years here, negotiated between TASO and UIL: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/Sports_Officials_10_Year_Fee_Schedule.pdf

I am not a fan of this, because of what others have said - it locks us in, for a super low rate, forever. We no longer have leverage to use increased pay as a mechanism to attract more officials. So yeah, what's coming, will be Thur-Sat games for six-man, and subvarsity games will likely be covered by school staff or parents. It is what it is.

Second side note - officials pay being based off gross gate receipts is one of the two most corrupt practices in all of sports. It's incredibly common to have schools - 5 and 6a - pay the lowest band. They aren't required to provide proof of the gate receipts. I've worked one single game where I made more than the bare minimum and that was a playoff game. Only way to challenge it, is for officials to file a FOIA request to the school to see what was actually made. And when that happens, it's a given that the school/coaches are going to scratch you from future assignments... which leads into the second most corrupt practice - allowing coaches to pick officials. That's a whole other conversation, but there's literally no other level of sports, at any level, that allows coaches to pick who officiates their games. It is a corrupt practice and leads to officials soliciting, and coaches happily choosing the crews that give them calls so they get picked in the future. I've had a six-man coach tell me if I make a particular call against his team again, that he would make sure I didn't get selected for any playoff games. I did, because they did it again, and he did too. But, again, that's a topic for a different day.

Third side note - Outside what I mentioned above, I've rarely had problems with varsity or sub-varsity coaches or parents, except those that coach youth football. I've tossed at least 3 in the last three years, including one yesterday. I used to coach, even when my kid wasn't playing, and was always respectful to refs, even when I didn't get a call I wanted. Every year I help out with youth ball thinking it will be better this go around, and every year is exactly the same if not worse. So, if your kid is playing youth ball and you have to get on the field because officials refuse to work them, sorry not sorry.
First off, thank you for being a referee.
Second, this is very, very eye opening. I didn’t know the process and amount referees were getting paid. Knowing the that some schools don’t feed officials is wrong in my opinion.
Third, I do remember the PA announcers saying “The officials have be mutual agreed upon…”. Honestly, I don’t believe officials would hold grudges against the coach as the other way around.
Fourth, knowing the pay of officials, unless the first job is bringing in a lot of money (which would actually disincentivize becoming an official), the amount of money paid to an official will not bring people in my generation.

So, after learning all of this, we will end up having Thursday Friday and Saturday games even if fan behavior changes.

knowing the pay of officials, unless the first job is bringing in a lot of money (which would actually disincentivize becoming an official), the amount of money paid to an official will not bring people in my generation.

So, after learning all of this, we will end up having Thursday Friday and Saturday games even if fan behavior changes.

I may be wrong, but I've never known officials to do it because of the money. Most do it because they love football and it's a fun way to get to watch some games. I understand the issue to not be about the money but to be more about parents/coaches taking the fun out of it for the referees.

That said, I'm not a referee so I could be totally off-base. I've just had a lot of friends who have done it in the past and they all talked about how much fun it is. I've never heard any of them talk about how much money they make.

I may be wrong, but I've never known officials to do it because of the money. Most do it because they love football and it's a fun way to get to watch some games. I understand the issue to not be about the money but to be more about parents/coaches taking the fun out of it for the referees.

That said, I'm not a referee so I could be totally off-base. I've just had a lot of friends who have done it in the past and they all talked about how much fun it is. I've never heard any of them talk about how much money they make.
It's very similar to being a coach IMO. We all don't do it for the money, but the reality is that we still have bills to pay and families to support. Therefore, it does have to be somewhat about the money, especially in today's expensive economy. Times are different, sadly. Unless you are a retired with a healthy pension, or just a millionaire, these ref's have other jobs. The juice has to be worth the squeeze for these guys to clock out of their full time jobs, travel miles to a game up to 4 nights a week, get screamed at for 3-4 hours, not eat anything for supper unless you grab some fast food and pay for it yourself, and then get home late after your family is all asleep. Factor all of that in, of course there has to be more of an incentive than just the love of the game. I love coaching football more than anything on this earth other than my love for Christ and my family, but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't pay the bills. I think you can draw a similar line with the teacher shortage as well. How are they fixing the teacher shortage, paying teachers more, well...paying 1st year teachers more. With that said, I don't think ref's are trying to get rich at all. I feel like they want their services to be valued with the times of today, not 1980.

I have no issue in paying ref's more at all. None. They are a valued part of the game and we wouldn't have a game without them. I wouldn't blame them at all for banding together and asking for more money.

It's very similar to being a coach IMO. We all don't do it for the money, but the reality is that we still have bills to pay and families to support. Therefore, it does have to be somewhat about the money, especially in today's expensive economy. Times are different, sadly. Unless you are a retired with a healthy pension, or just a millionaire, these ref's have other jobs. The juice has to be worth the squeeze for these guys to clock out of their full time jobs, travel miles to a game up to 4 nights a week, get screamed at for 3-4 hours, not eat anything for supper unless you grab some fast food and pay for it yourself, and then get home late after your family is all asleep. Factor all of that in, of course there has to be more of an incentive than just the love of the game. I love coaching football more than anything on this earth other than my love for Christ and my family, but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't pay the bills. I think you can draw a similar line with the teacher shortage as well. How are they fixing the teacher shortage, paying teachers more, well...paying 1st year teachers more. With that said, I don't think ref's are trying to get rich at all. I feel like they want their services to be valued with the times of today, not 1980.

I have no issue in paying ref's more at all. None. They are a valued part of the game and we wouldn't have a game without them. I wouldn't blame them at all for banding together and asking for more money.
So I’m guessing the answer partially is with Fans and Coaches with behavior and partially UIL and TASO to change some of the monetary rules to make the ‘job’ more enticing to keep current officials and bring in future officials.

Back