Grayson Rigdon

Status
Not open for further replies.
GR…best 6 man player in the past 30 years? Probably. Best ever? If not, definitely in top 3.
But let’s be realistic. It’s sixman. Those that say it’s football and it’s still just running and tackling really don’t understand the massive difference in 11 man and 6. The best sixman player before GR was TE and TE didn’t even start at ultra tiny Sul Ross and quit the team his freshman year. It’s unrealistic that a serious offer would be made at a college level much less D1. Seriously….I’m not dogging GR. He’s fantastic at the sixman level. No good is going to come from feeding his ego to the extent people do on this site.
Not sure what a billionaire donor to Tech knowing who GR is has to do with anything. Also not sure what someone’s grandparents living down the road from someone associated with Tech has to do with anything either lol.
Offers come in many forms. What was the offer to Lubock AF? Do we know?
AGAIN…GR is the goat IMO.
But in watching game films of his I cringe. Sure the reversing the field and cutting back giving up yardage to ultimately gain more works great in 6 man. But he’ll get killed doing that in 11 man, much less at the college level. For all he knows about sixman, where his extrordinary talents serve him well, it’ll be a detriment in 11 man. He’ll have to learn a lot and unlearn even more if he plans on staying healthy. A young man like him needs people to help build his confidence, sure he does. But he also needs people to help him be realistic about expectations. For now…let him enjoy his fame as a jr at Benj.

Come on @BearPaw. Give the young man at least the benefit of a doubt that he can make in 11 man at the D1 level. Comparing GR to TE sounds very accurate. However, football at the next level may not be for everyone. The mindset, dedication, and the level of competition to compete with day in and day out maybe more than TE wanted to deal with. Just because it didn't work out for TE at Sul Ross, don't put GR in a specific box with the same ending. GR received an official offer from the Air Force Academy (see page 1 of post) so he has some talent that is applicable at D1 level.
Reversing the field and cutting back is done in 11 man the same as in six man. Field of vision, instincts, and athleticism allow for reversing the field and cutting back to be done well, and GR can do them all well. For you to infer that he isn't skilled (physical and mental) to adapt to his sport and level of competition, is pretty asinine considering you say "GR is the goat IMO". Good thing he has you, @BearPaw , to reel him in about expectations he should have for himself.

Screenshot_20240217-123402.png

GR…best 6 man player in the past 30 years? Probably. Best ever? If not, definitely in top 3.
But let’s be realistic. It’s sixman. Those that say it’s football and it’s still just running and tackling really don’t understand the massive difference in 11 man and 6. The best sixman player before GR was TE and TE didn’t even start at ultra tiny Sul Ross and quit the team his freshman year. It’s unrealistic that a serious offer would be made at a college level much less D1. Seriously….I’m not dogging GR. He’s fantastic at the sixman level. No good is going to come from feeding his ego to the extent people do on this site.
Not sure what a billionaire donor to Tech knowing who GR is has to do with anything. Also not sure what someone’s grandparents living down the road from someone associated with Tech has to do with anything either lol.
But in watching game films of his I cringe. Sure the reversing the field and cutting back giving up yardage to ultimately gain more works great in 6 man. But he’ll get killed doing that in 11 man, much less at the college level. For all he knows about sixman, where his extrordinary talents serve him well, it’ll be a detriment in 11 man. He’ll have to learn a lot and unlearn even more if he plans on staying healthy. A young man like him needs people to help build his confidence, sure he does. But he also needs people to help him be realistic about expectations. For now…let him enjoy his fame as a jr at Benj.

Why would someone that thinks the way you do be on this forum?

Because if we all agreed, this would be boring. May not agree with a thought but welcome @BearPaw opinion as viewed through his eyes.
Seems like a waist of time to get on a sixman site when you believe sixman is not football? I didn’t realize living in a small populated town determined weather or not you were capable of playing real !! Football?

I agree with all the above posts. It wasnt my attempt to run him down. Perhaps I failed in that. I wish him continued success.

Seems like a waist of time to get on a sixman site when you believe sixman is not football? I didn’t realize living in a small populated town determined weather or not you were capable of playing real !! Football?
GR is not new to 11man. Hes already played it and dominated. Hes been to D1 camps and have again "torched" the LBs and DBs. Kid doesn't drop a ball either. Wes Welker clone

Most of us on this site are filling time and missing the sport we thoroughly enjoy, so why not make it interesting with different points of view on topics within Sixman Football. GR's skills and future endeavors are the most intriguing thing going right now.

GR has verbally said he wants to be a Red Raider. Closer to his family plus he's been in contact with Joey a lot. Also Cody Campbell grew up down the street from my grandparents in Canyon, TX. Just in case you were
Sounds like your part of the family then you must know . Congrats to the kid either way . Just wish he would choose a good football program and not settle on tech . I do not care where Cody Campbell lives and didn’t ask lol in case you was wondering

I'll share my two cents. GR is in my mind a D1 athlete. Air Force and UTEP think so. Tech was an official visit and with the new Big 12 (16?), Tech is in a great position right now under Joey Mcguire. He is bringing in some serious talent. This could help or hurt GR receiving an official offer but I believe he will receive one if there are spots open. Tech has given full rides to walk-ons that work their tails off in the classroom and on the field. I can name plenty of them.

The phrase settle on Tech, while I hate hearing it, and that may be yalls perception, but I can see him getting an official offer and if his grades are legit, possible early enrollee? Then redshirt.after a year of learning how D1 athletics works, I think he will be ready and will contribute at Tech. It's simply just a matter of time, but I agree there are plenty of intangibles.

Sounds like your part of the family then you must know . Congrats to the kid either way . Just wish he would choose a good football program and not settle on tech . I do not care where Cody Campbell lives and didn’t ask lol in case you was wondering
"Settle" lol. GR has plenty of interest from multiple D1 schools. Most like to wait until after spring and summer workouts to get transfers in/out and seniors graduate. Just so you know Techs stadium is called Jones AT&T stadium. The field is called Cody Campbell field. I am not a part of their family, just stating what I know. Hes also received interest from okie st, Houston, tcu, and west Virginia.

Come on now @Hornet78, let's play nice. Cody Campbell could play a role with him being an alumni, donor of Matador Club ($25 million with field named after), and west texas native. Plus, it's also fun to learn about where people are from and who you know because it's a small world after all.
@Roach, I too am not a fan of "settle for Tech". Have you seen what they are building out there @Hornet78 ? Those facilities are first class and second to none. Next, the head coach is a former texas high school football coach (This makes me a fan) who would know how to find a true diamond in a coal pile. Tech has always found a way to find unfinished diamonds and make them shine.
I believe GR is an unfinished diamond at the D1 level, but given time, could become something special that came from six man football. Some may not be a fan of the stats he puts up, how easy he makes this game look, or the spotlight he gets being good, bad, or indifferent, but you gotta pull for this young man to live the dream we for so long believe six man players can achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back