Early discussion on D1 Rankings

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
So looking through the changes to D1, especially based on the new district alignments and comparing last year's rankings, there really isn't much of a change near the top. What I mean by this is that no highly-ranked D2 teams moved up. Bynum is the highest-ranked D2 school to move to D1.

The biggest question marks will those former independent schools:
Baird, Irion County, Claude, Campbell, and Roby

And those new to six-man:
Springlake Earth, Van Horn, Midland Texas Leadership Charter, Arlington Texas Leadership Charter

The defending state finalists, McLean and Blum, both graduate a bunch of experience... that being said, who is in your top-5 right now?

I did not realize that Van Horn went 6-6 last year in 11-man and had a fairly high comparative ranking in Jerry Forrest's system to be in the 6-man top-5. Springlake Earth was closer to the 20th, with Baird not too far behind.

I would agree with Rankin as #1. I miss the stats and the grades of the ones making those stats. Makes it harder to make a reasonable guess. Sterling City should be in the top five. Probably should not discount BC too much. Jonesboro had a freshman RB that impressed me against leakey. He gained good yardage in the first half and then didn't touch the ball again until Jonesboro needed a first down to seal game. He came through with flying colors. If you include GC, it would almost assure you that all that you pick would not finish the year in the top five.

granger":3tif0r6l said:
I did not realize that Van Horn went 6-6 last year in 11-man and had a fairly high comparative ranking in Jerry Forrest's system to be in the 6-man top-5. Springlake Earth was closer to the 20th, with Baird not too far behind.

Didnt know that about Van Horn. Might swap them for SE. Do you know if Van Horns 11man coaching staff will still be with them or will they be bringing in some 6man experience?. I have heard Springlakes Head Coach will be staying, not sure about his staff. Baird will be better depending on how much they lost.
I think Saint Jo should be mentioned in this conversation since they gave Blum a heck of a game. Just depends on who's returning/leaving.

I think Jonesboro belongs in the conversation. They're graduating a couple key players, but are well coached and have several players returning from a deep playoff run.

D1 West - (in no particular order) Borden County, Rankin, Sterling City, Paducah, Ira.

D1 East- (in no particular order) St.Jo, Jonesboro, Milford, May, Union Hill.

Yes, I am online a bit today. Just got back driving through west texas from Colorado where I was in seclusion for a few days since we couldn't ski.

Bumping this topic up since I am going through my early, early predictions.

The cream will always rise to the top. The best coaches with average players will be up there. The best players with average coaches will be up there. When you have the best coaches with the best players, something catastrophic has to happen for that team not to make it to the championship.
Actually, you can just rank the coaches and be really close at the end of the season.

Back