District

Thanks HCA dad. Always good to be informed by someone who was at the game. You are correct box score doesn't always tell the story. The basis for my early statement about Harvest struggling against middle of the road teams. I saw the Harvest DC game. In my opinion Harvest was lucky to escape with a win. Not saying who was the better team but either team could have won that game and DC has but one win all season. Midland had very little trouble with DC. Not sure I would agree with you about Rockwall being over rated. If you are a HCA dad there is rumor that #6 is injured is that true can you help? He is a fun player to watch. You guys have a few exciting players. Lots of team speed not sure what I expect out of your team but I've never seen them quit so be proud.

Comments on Midland:
Well coached
Running game has precision and hits the line of scrimmage at full speed
Passing game was average at best
Strong team defense with good athletes.
Good at kicking the 2 point PAT (they add up)
Best team we played all year, by far

dbsmith, just saw your post.
Yes, I agree on the DC game. It should have been easier but as many have said here, these are good teams no matter what the record. Abilene and DC played us tough and that is a credit to their history and their players. They came to play no matter what their record was. They are good football teams. I give them credit for their success in the past and they played hard this year. That being said, the game at DC was played in the daytime and the temperature on the artificial turf was over 100 degrees. As you 6 man fans know, it is a long game for the players. Most of our players were near heat exhaustion at the end of the game. Again, I was there. We were up by three touchdowns (approx.) in the fourth quarter and through a fumble and other events, DC took the lead with 2:00 to go. After the kickoff, on the first play from scrimmage, Watauga ran it into the end zone and won the game. Yes, should not have been that hard, but they showed heart and resilience. Long hot day on the home turf at DC. They need to get some lights.

I say that Boerne is the team to beat. Midland can give them a game worth watching for sure. No idea about Baytown but the have earned my respect the are undefeated. Top 3 teams for sure. What is the word on #6 is he injured?

I've been a fan of the website for a while but this is my first post. I like all the banter and all the opinions. I even like the hot sports opinion. There are a bunch of good teams and good players at this level. Wish they would get some well deserved recognition. The players are probably some of the best conditioned athletes around.

As far as asking for news or reports on injuries I'm not sure that is something that should be discussed in an open forum. Best of luck to all the players and teams.

I have to agree with HCADad. We (Ovilla) were never in the game. They did a great job of making sure #1 never really got to the outside. They forced him to rely strictly on his passing game which is not his strength. The silver lining for me as an Ovilla fan was that Watauga's focus on #1 (Jr.) allowed #32 (Sr.) to have a pretty nice game for his final football game. In the end I will be rooting for any team from our district to come out on top.

I agree with Ovilla dad that #32 had a great game last week. I thought he was their star of the game. #1 just never got going. Both players had great speed and were explosive.
I will not be giving injury reports on an open thread. We will line up our team on Saturday and play with what we have. I agree with other opinions that there are good teams and great athletes in this division. I am looking forward to seeing how we stack up against the rest of the state.

I just got an email that our game on Saturday is a 5:00 pm kickoff.

This team has heart and is plenty deep. We may not have 25 like Midland but I will take the ones we have.

Baytown is in our bracket. If Rockwall gets by the first round, and they should, then they play Baytown. Baytown is the #1 seed on our side of the bracket. Does anyone know anything about them?

All I know is they must have a solid team... Scored 650 points thus far and only given up 278 with that 10-0 record and their district was tough.. look at how many teams came out of that district. Katy, Emery, Baytown, Sugarland, and Pasadena! How come nobody has any info on these guys?

That all you guys can come up with on Baytown? Just a score....?
Either they are highly overrated (nobody concerned) or just nobody on here from the south

THEQB":spdg34eb said:
All I know is they must have a solid team... Scored 650 points thus far and only given up 278 with that 10-0 record and their district was tough.. look at how many teams came out of that district. Katy, Emery, Baytown, Sugarland, and Pasadena! How come nobody has any info on these guys?

Having played two of these teams, and watched film on the others I can offer some insight.

We played Logos week 1 in Houston, and beat them pretty good. They have a large team, in numbers and size (im sure many on this board will be very impressed). MaxPreps shows them with 27 boys, and 7 seniors. It was early in the year, and I am not sure they really had an identity yet. We managed to put up quite a few points on them spreading it out and getting our playmakers in one-on-ones with their big guys. Things kind of snowballed on them in the game, and I think they got away from what they really wanted to do (pound it on us). Their only two scores came against our freshmen on the last play before half, and early in the third. I've viewed quite a bit of film on them from recently, and they look like a different team. They moved a couple guys around, and seemed to embrace their size. Their speedster back #4 is now running behind a 220+ pound fullback in tight sets (variations of the I). They have been able to pound most teams later in the season, yet still have the ability to spread it out if need be. I cant speak to their injury situation, but they seem to be at full strength.

We played Waco week 8 at home, and beat them soundly. They only have 15 boys, but nearly half of them are seniors. Their starters had good size.. We made our hay on the ground in this game, rarely coming out of tight sets. They had difficulty getting off our blocks, and their aggressiveness hurt them in several situations. Their best offensive player leading up to our game imo was #3. He left our game early with an injury. They had another back #8 who very good, he shouldered the load for them when #3 left the game. They have a pretty good wr #23 that suited up but didn't play vs us. They went spread the majority of the game, but couldn't get things going with the personnel they had out there. Both of their scores came late in the second quarter when our freshmen were in the game. I think they were pretty banged up coming into our game, with #24 not playing, and #3 getting knocked out, they were a little shell shocked. Throw in the long drive from Waco (took them 5+hrs with traffic), and it was a recipe for disaster. Hopefully they will be back at full strength for the playoffs. Their staff has alot of fire, if their players play with that same intensity, and they are put in the right position, they could make some noise.

I have seen some Katy film, and they are a tough one to evaluate. They are are over the place... impressive wins vs some teams, then dropping games to teams they shouldn't in others. I am not sure what their injury situation is, that would be my first guess as to why they have been inconsistent. I can tell you that 13 of their 17 players are seniors, which ive never seen before. It will be interesting to see how they do vs Round Rock. I have only seen one game of Pasadena, their loss to Baytown. Baytown did pretty much whatever they wanted out of tight on them. They ran some good plays, but didnt seem like they had the horses to hang with them.

VanguardVikings":3ckv1s3d said:
Thanks for putting it kindly Coach Arrufat.

Looking forward to our teams first playoff game in school history against Logos.

Best of luck Saturday. We know the feeling of playing your first playoff game... we were there 4 years ago.

Back