Coming to Sixman???

We hear all the time how Sixman is not really football or how the kids are not as good or whatever reason they come up with. I played 11 man and have been following 6 man for about 15 years. I have the chance to talk with athletes and some have played both. The ones that have played both say 6 man is more enjoyable because of the pace of the game. I believe the 6 man players are better because they have fewer blockers can think on the fly and are in better condition overall. 6 man is the true IRON-MAN football because most players play both sides of the ball and the special teams! Let them stay where they are and never give the kids the chance to become what they have the ability to become because six man is not real football! When ignorance stands in the way of progress you might as well un-hook the mule from the cart.

sinfonian":xatvhdqj said:
I wish someone would convince Eula to start playing football. It's the one reason I'm hesitant to send my son there.

You know, what probably needs to be done in towns like that is something like this.

People who want to bring in six-man football, especially to towns like Eula which play no football is to get some folks to come in and speak to civic clubs, perhaps there's a Lions Club or Rotary or something that meets every couple weeks. Bring in a well-respected six-man coach to speak to the locals about the game.

Before you do that, get a few of the pro-sixman local folks to sit down and try and identify the resources they have and are willing to bring to the table.

Once, I was told of a non-football school whose administrators said it would cost them $1 million to start up a six-man program with construction and such (and they had an excellent facility which could be easily re-purposed with existing lights; I told my friend to have the supt. give me a contract for $950,000 and we'd split the profit).

You don't have to start with Jerry's World. Lawn chair stadium with portable lights (or no lights, you can play on Saturday afternoon if you have to) can do for awhile. Maybe the local bank or the Coke bottler can donate a couple grand for a scoreboard and some other local fundraising can reduce the cost to the local school district. Yeah, they may have to deal with some of the personnel costs and such, but there's no law that says that the good people of Last Chance ISD can't raise $20 or $50 thousand dollars to buy equipment and get things started.

A number of local school districts here have "educational foundations" that raise money and give grants to teachers for special projects from technology in the classroom to conferences or some extracurricular activities. Nothing to stop you from raising money to start up a program (which is what most of us in private schools do).

There's a bunch of us in the six-man community who would help a local group identify what needs to be done and help a local campaign to start up six-man football in some of those commie-pinko non-football schools.

exxonmobile":wa8m0yoc said:
Union Hill will play 6 man next year

You got some inside info on that, friend? I heard they were going six-man a couple years ago, but it was a false alarm.

All my sources say that the school admin. hangs up on anyone calling asking if they plan to play six-man quicker than you would on a time-share telemarketer calling at the dinner hour.

That should be a good addition. I hope that it comes about. Savoy went through the whirlwind of talk and conjecture about sixman and whether it was real football. In the last two seasons, we sure have a lot of converts. Any of the schools that have been or are on the bubble, come on in the schools, fans, and the game are great.

wonder how that superintendent got talked into it...she was so strong against it even when kids and parents wanted to play six-man in the past...it didn't matter to her her quote on it was "as long as I'm here we won't play six-man"

If she had a change of heart that's a wonderful thing! Means there's hope for others!

Old Bearkat":2zoo7166 said:
Maybe she's leaving soon......

Things like that have happened...
I do think the board should really look at the majority of parents, students, administration and vote accordingly. But there may have been reasons that she didn't want to go sixman. That's between her and the good Lord.

Leman Saunders":34h0ajcg said:
wonder how that superintendent got talked into it...she was so strong against it even when kids and parents wanted to play six-man in the past...it didn't matter to her her quote on it was "as long as I'm here we won't play six-man"

If she had a change of heart that's a wonderful thing! Means there's hope for others!
Was your reply "So instead of trying to talk you into 6-man, we need to talk your school board into getting rid of you"?

Medina has a children's home, right? Do the attend public or are they on their own campus. I contribute to the home but just don't know ........

Leman Saunders":2lbxg5t1 said:
if I was a parent in the district I would reply that way....but no, I'm very cordial
As you get older you will lose some of that civility.......... You don't care who you PO.......... Doggy must be ancient.......

NOTICE REGULAR MEETING
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
UNION HILL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
NOVEMBER 14, 2013
6:00 P.M.
A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Union Hill I.S.D. will be held on Thursday,
November 14, 2013, beginning at 6:00 p.m., in the Board Room of the Union Hill I.S.D. Gilmer, TX.
AGENDA
The subjects to be "discussed" or "considered", or upon which any formal action may be taken, are as
follows: (Items do not have to be taken in the same order as shown on this meeting notice).

1. Discuss Athletic Concerns/UIL Re-Classification System – Coach Carter/Coach Jones

I'm sure the previous post I made had to do with this...

Gilmer Union Hill
2006: 9-3
2007: 2-8
2008: 3-7
2009: 1-9
2010: 3-7
2011: 1-9
2012: 0-10
2013: 0-7 (Forfeited 3 games)... So could/should be ) 0-10

You figure the towns-people and kids would eventually get tired of this......
Hopefully the town will try a new path.
One that may lead to a little bit of success

hornkeeper12":2ue7nij1 said:
Leman Saunders":2ue7nij1 said:

Was your reply "So instead of trying to talk you into 6-man, we need to talk your school board into getting rid of you"?

Maybe she went and actually WATCHED a sixman game. That, in and of itself, might make someone a convert.

Back