Why some sixman teams can't compete.

B6MF

Six-man fan
In my opinion at least some of the six man schools have potential to have really good teams, but fail because of school board/administration issues. I won't throw any schools under the bus, but for example I know of a school that has three other schools within 30 miles of it, that have powerhouse football teams. Two of those teams played in state championships this past year, and the other lost in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. These three football teams obviously have a lot of talent, but the school that has administration problems won less than three games. I used to live around the area and I would have to say there are plenty of athletes, however this school cannot bring in any new students. The school is ruining itself, and its a sad sight to see.

Now B6MF, since I am not very good at solving riddles, can you be just a little bit more specific as to where and who these schools are? At least give me some better hints so I can make a good guess.

It helps to have consistency in the staff and that is heavily dictated by board/admin. You don't have to name schools. If the coach left, then...

No it is between Temple, Rockdale, and Cameron. Buckholts is in search of a head football/AD, Temple and Cameron Yoe were in the state championship, Rockdale got beat by Yoe in the quarters.

Too many of the supe's at the small schools have too big of an ego. Alot of them don't like being overshadowed by the H/C and it hurts their pride. They like to flex their authority and like being the "big boss". And if they have Dr. in front of their name, forget it, they are the smartest person in the room. Most of them feel coaches are overpaid and believe they can get just about anyone to do their job. What they need to realize, everything around the school year revolves around football. If you have a bad football year, more than likely you are going to have a bad school year. Good football year, good school year. That is just the mentality in Texas and especially in small towns. Here in Central Texas their is so many parents wanting to get their kids out of the bigger schools, and the quickest way to get those kids is to have a winning football program. That takes away the big problem every small school has which is money. Just my opinion

Not just anyone can coach sixman football. It is a totally different game than 11 man football. My first year of coaching sixman we went 0-4-1. I was frustrated and at a complete loss of words or understanding of why. I learned sixman football by having my behind handed to me basically. I learned what to do and not to do by what the other teams did to us. I have coached four more seasons since that first season, and my record is 23-12. My sixman record overall is 23-16-1, which is not bad for having NO formal sixman football training. If I were given an opportunity to coach and stay in an established program, public or private, I believe I'd be very successful. I've learned a lot over the years. One of the main things I've learned is that the affect you have on your student athletes or the impact you make on their life is what counts the most.

Coach Cyr

Darkace08":1bidm2li said:
No it is between Temple, Rockdale, and Cameron. Buckholts is in search of a head football/AD, Temple and Cameron Yoe were in the state championship, Rockdale got beat by Yoe in the quarters.
you're right, but also don't forget Rogers who is also a powerhouse team! This school has so much potential, if only someone could get in there and turn it around. It would take very hard work, but it is possible.

I know several of the old family names (20s/80s) in Buckholts either no longer have kids in school or they have moved them to Rogers for one reason or another.

IMO, the only thing keeping them afloat is that the school board still has some of the older family names left in it.

I think the only reason schools can't compete is they lack the "want to" in order to be competitive. They don't want to hire quality coaches, they don't want to have an athletic period, they don't want to upgrade facilities, or they don't want to put in the work to make themselves or their players competitive. It's just not admin's; I've met plenty of coaches who get into a situation where they coast because their are no expectations and they are just collecting the paycheck.

In my observations, bad coaches that are given free range by the supe and school board are the most damaging thing that can happen to a football program

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":27pjtvwe said:
In my observations, bad coaches that are given free range by the supe and school board are the most damaging thing that can happen to a football program

Have to agree with that.

Im waiting for someone with some roots to return home, maybe when they are ready to retire;). I know alot of the parents in their 30s were hoping for it too. Maybe some of those kids going to Rogers would come back. haha

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":27g7e2ai said:

"bad coaches", yes. But micro-managing by the supe and school board on a "good coach" is just as damaging to a football program.

If you want to run one off really quick, just start double-checking and questioning every little thing that he does.

CT6MFL":3pua7q56 said:

Im waiting for someone with some roots to return home, maybe when they are ready to retire;). I know alot of the parents in their 30s were hoping for it too. Maybe some of those kids going to Rogers would come back. haha

What Buckholts needs is a super and administration that enforces the rules and disciple. Instead they have someone who cares more about telling everyone how he has the school running in the black financially. His concern is more with money and less with the students learning experience. The school once again has high turnover in multiple teaching jobs and now has a warning label from the TEA. Once those problems are solved then you can start work on finding a coach who can help build the talent.

They probably need to stop looking at outsiders then or for someone with common interest in a small town:)

Interests other than drawing a paycheck and padding is portfolio.

His concern is more with money and less with the students learning experience. The school once again has high turnover in multiple teaching jobs and now has a warning label from the TEA. Once those problems are solved then you can start work on finding a coach who can help build the talent.[/quote]

I agree, but sometimes coaches play a big part in grades, especially in smaller schools. I can honestly say that, my coaches are the biggest reason I went to college, and had a 3.7 collegiate GPA. They taught me that hard work, makes a big difference. I went to Buckholts, and while I was there I believe there might have been only 5 or 6 boys in the entire school that didn't play football. The coach that was there at the time made a big difference(now he is off making a gigantic difference somewhere else), he alone helped the school in many ways. In my opinion he was turning the entire school into a better school, and I know the only reason he is gone is because of opportunities for his family. A great coach makes a world of difference in the school, and the lives of the students he coaches. I know my coach sure helped me turn my life in the right direction.

P.S.- Mount. Calm has a great coach.

Not his fault at all, but now we need one with some deeper roots and hopefully some longevity.

I'm not 100% sure but i dont think any coach has stayed at Buckholts for more than 3 years since the early 90's. Maybe Kyle but i wasn't in the area in 94 to follow him.

They Call Me Coach":1f043kcl said:
CT6MFL":1f043kcl said:

What Buckholts needs is a super and administration that enforces the rules and disciple. Instead they have someone who cares more about telling everyone how he has the school running in the black financially. His concern is more with money and less with the students learning experience. The school once again has high turnover in multiple teaching jobs and now has a warning label from the TEA. Once those problems are solved then you can start work on finding a coach who can help build the talent.
What does warning label mean?

I agree, but sometimes coaches play a big part in grades, especially in smaller schools. I can honestly say that, my coaches are the biggest reason I went to college, and had a 3.7 collegiate GPA. They taught me that hard work, makes a big difference. I went to Buckholts, and while I was there I believe there might have been only 5 or 6 boys in the entire school that didn't play football. The coach that was there at the time made a big difference(now he is off making a gigantic difference somewhere else), he alone helped the school in many ways. In my opinion he was turning the entire school into a better school, and I know the only reason he is gone is because of opportunities for his family. A great coach makes a world of difference in the school, and the lives of the students he coaches. I know my coach sure helped me turn my life in the right direction.

P.S.- Mount. Calm has a great coach.[/quote]

Yes a coach is definitely needed to effect change, however you need a strong administration that knows when to stop saying look at us and what we are doing. When they get someone up top who understands that are cares more about their staff and kids than themselves things will start to change. There is a reason Mt Calm has such a great coach and will have him for years to come.

Back