Coming to Sixman???

What about 8 man ball. I have only seen a few games and it seemed a smaller version of 11 man but still not the quality of a good ol 6 man game. That might help some of the towns not feal so bad about having to drop down or drop football all together.

Did you say "dropping down" to six-man? lol Eight-man never had a very strong hold in Texas and I can't see a valid reason or enough interest for its return. Six-man won out over eight-man for some reason. The fact is that these schools do not want to break from their tradition, from traditional football to play a stripped down version of the game. That is a 100% acceptible reason to me. I am not one of those that thinks we need to be recruiting schools to play. When it becomes a priority in their community it will happen as it happened for most of the schools that play six-man today.

nowhereman":2d44asls said:
What about 8 man ball. I have only seen a few games and it seemed a smaller version of 11 man but still not the quality of a good ol 6 man game. That might help some of the towns not feal so bad about having to drop down or drop football all together.
Oh Lordy . Don't let the ancient Bearkat hear you bad mouthing 8-man........ The flys will be buzzing.......

smokeyjoe53":2lqoc2wa said:
Oh Lordy . Don't let the ancient Bearkat hear you bad mouthing 8-man........ The flys will be buzzing.......

You got that right! OBK is the last bastion of hope for 8-man football.

LeeMac":m41ao12g said:
Oh lordy Im going to have a heart attach if people keep saying "DROPPING DOWN" to 6-man. Its moving up.
Actually,
I could even accept
"switchin' over to".
But,
the other's plain heresy.
jus sayin'.

Look I played sixman football I loved it and I get mad when people try to bad mouth it. But I don't get mad when people say dropping down I mean that's what it's called.Your school gets smaller you lose enrollment to play in a certain classification you drop down to the next. The same goes for any classification 5As drop to 4A and so on. No need to have a heart attack about

SixFan19":10ptj1xb said:
Did you say "dropping down" to six-man? lol Eight-man never had a very strong hold in Texas and I can't see a valid reason or enough interest for its return. Six-man won out over eight-man for some reason. The fact is that these schools do not want to break from their tradition, from traditional football to play a stripped down version of the game. That is a 100% acceptible reason to me. I am not one of those that thinks we need to be recruiting schools to play. When it becomes a priority in their community it will happen as it happened for most of the schools that play six-man today.

The interesting thing about the 8 man era was that it was tried in a central Texas district first in 1957. That district, which had Pflugerville, Hutto, Prairie Lea, Kyle Smiley, Nordheim, and Liberty Hill, played 8 man in all district games and a few non-district ones, but went back to 6 man for the playoffs. The next year these guys all went 8 man, along with an East Texas District (New Wvaverly, High Island, Sabine Pass, et al), North Central Texas (Oklaunion, Harrold, Lindsay, Gunter, Prosper, Caddo Mills, Pickton, etc. and most of the West Texas 6 man districts went 8, except for the extreme western ones (Marathon, Ft. Davis, Toyah, Barstow, Pyote, etc) and the northernmost Panhandle district (Miami, Cotton Center, Nazareth, Three Way, Morse, Mobeetie, etc).

1957-1959 was also when a LOT of former 6 man teams in East Texas moved to 11 man, and many used 8 man as a stepping stone, Like Pflugerville, Hutto and Jayton. Some declining 11 man schools went 8 man, like Whitharral and Follett. but most of the small schools stuck with 6 man, and most of the declining enrollment former 11 man schools like Gordon, Strawn, Walnut Springs, Iredell, Lueders, and Moran went to 6 man and stuck with it.

WV Backer":19773kjj said:
smokeyjoe53":19773kjj said:

You got that right! OBK is the last bastion of hope for 8-man football.

There are a few others, but I have no hope of ever seeing it played again in Texas.

My freshman year at Rochelle (1972), we played some area JV teams in 11-man football, played Knippa in an 8-man football and played our district games in 6-man football... anyone else play all three in the same year...???

SavannahSixManFan":2kdyelji said:
My freshman year at Rochelle (1972), we played some area JV teams in 11-man football, played Knippa in an 8-man football and played our district games in 6-man football... anyone else play all three in the same year...???

In 1967 Sterling City played Wall in 11 man game and Miles in a 6 man game when they were 8 man.

I've been involved in a Top of Texas Youth Football league in North Central Texas for years before my started JH at a tapps school with six man. They have maintained 14-16 teams. Crowell once played in the league as an 11 man team. Beginning this year, there is an extremely high number of 1a towns having to play with 11-14 players on their peewee teams that are 2nd - 4th grade and fear of having to drop it.. It could be a sign of a change in 6-8 years. We'll see.

i thought starting this year all sixman schools were gonna be classified as 1A, and last years 1A teams classified 2A and so on all the way to 6A. am i wrong?

quentin70":3t2ky3tm said:
i thought starting this year all sixman schools were gonna be classified as 1A, and last years 1A teams classified 2A and so on all the way to 6A. am i wrong?
You are not wrong, just a year off. Starts next year with the new alignment period.

Back