Coming to Sixman???

Old Bearkat":qw8h7ymv said:
The kid from Comstock lived. They dedicated their very last football game to him and he was there.

I used to call on Dr. Cartall when he was practicing in Del Rio back in the early to mid 80s. A nice gentleman, your friendly country doctor ... used to have an office across the street from the hospital.

I still say you're more likely to get seriously hurt driving to a game.

Old Bearkat":9foli4yi said:
Mr.Blue Sky":9foli4yi said:
What about the schools who don't play football what would it take to get them to start up teams? Towns like Channing Adrian Texline Hartley and Lipan? I'm sure there's more I just can't think of them.

All of them except Lipan and Hartley played 6 man up until the early 1960's. When the last 6 man district in the panhandle went 8 man, they dropped due to a lack of numbers.

Texline was still playing six man in the early '80s.

Those teams not having enough to field a team that's a lie we played Adrian in basketball they had 20 kids on the team! That's enough for a varsity and jv team.

oldfat&bald":sfj5nos6 said:
Old Bearkat":sfj5nos6 said:
Mr.Blue Sky":sfj5nos6 said:
What about the schools who don't play football what would it take to get them to start up teams? Towns like Channing Adrian Texline Hartley and Lipan? I'm sure there's more I just can't think of them.

All of them except Lipan and Hartley played 6 man up until the early 1960's. When the last 6 man district in the panhandle went 8 man, they dropped due to a lack of numbers.

Texline was still playing six man in the early '80s.

They went from 11 man to 6 man in 1980 and dropped football in 1989.

yes...I was just stating a relevant six-man factoid about Texline

One of their coaches in 1937 was trying to get a six-man league going up there and it didn't pan out but he did get 2 games scheduled with Grenville, NM a game at each's home field...I only found the score for the one game and not sure if the 2nd game was played

Here's my question? Why would you knowingly get destroyed for many years at the eleven level when you could have sucess at the six man level? I grew up a part of a very sucessful 6-man football program. No state titles but something like 25 district titles. But married an eleven man girl. I watched the school that she attended get destroyed in 11-man every year for at least 10 years straight. I had always asked why don't they go to six-man? They could have had multiple power-house years in six man but chose to continue to get destroyed. So enrollment dropped way down and they bring up the issue of moving to six man. Had a couple of town meetings even I think. I ask my father-in-law what his view of the issue is and his exact words were, "Going to six man is like shutting the school down." I really wanted to say some bad stuff but held my tongue. After getting more involved with this said school, you could tell that the losing majorly affected these kids attitude. I am proud to say that they did switch to real football and is starting to put some decent seasons together.

Thats exactly what I'm saying why stay 11-man when you can have success in 6-man? A lot of these towns that have doubt in 6-man say the weirdest things to keep from joining 6-man! Like the town would get smaller and the school would shut down. Also they think its going to keep their kids from getting a scholarship. Well let me tell you this towns don't get smaller because of 6-man that comes from not having jobs in town to keep people living there. Schools don't shut down because you join 6-man, as long as you have kids attending school it'll stay open. And for kids getting scholarship if your good colleges will find you no matter what size school you attend!

Its a mindset. Before I spent 5 years coaching 6-man, I considered myself an 11-man coach only and couldn't understand the six-man game. Once I got into it and open my mind to it and embraced it, I fell in love with the game. The problem is too many people are narrowed minded to change and live too much in the past. Living in the past gets you killed every week.

The people who don't want to drop to 6man are the same type of people who look at a 50-75 year old, run down, school building and say, "If it was good enough for me, then it's still good enough for them." Times change and so do the needs. Kids deserve the best they can get and the chance to be winners in the class and on the field. When success does come again by having some success, the naysayers will be joining the bandwagon. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what success does for the attitude and good of the kids, school, and community.

According to the TAPPS realignment, Lubbock Trinity Christian will be playing an independent six-man schedule (their enrollment, like Houston Emery Weiner is above the caps for boys enrollment).

Back