Can someone explain what the heck happened in the Calvert-BC

BC3":3dbvcqqs said:
RogueEconomist":3dbvcqqs said:
I was at the game and BC had superior team in almost every area, but they were in poor condition for the long haul. You could see them slowing down as the game progressed. I doubt that they have a XC program or this wouldn’t of happened. If they had run three miles before practice once a week, they would have 45ed Calvert, which they almost did before running out of gas. In a tough game that goes the distance conditioning matters.

Calvert does not have a cross country program either so I do not believe that's the problem.

Cross Country my arss. You don't improve football endurance putting your team thru CC workouts like Fartliks and miles of slow running around the field or on the track.
But as your possible opponent guys like me hope you are coaching like that.

Teams whose coaches spend the time and energy sending their players on 30 minute runs have simply run out of good ideas of how to get their team better; Or they are victims of the old school thinking popularized by their own coaches who learned their trade going through army and marine boot camps.
Long haul running builds good long distance runners, not quick, high impact twitch muscle reflexes and the sort of endurance necessary to feel capable of giving 100 per cent in the fourth quarter of a football game.
There are ways to increase football endurance infinitely better than CC training.
If we had our kids for two and three workouts everyday like the colleges and pros do, some longer distance sprinting could be beneficial. But we don't. And we shouldn't be given that much time with our student-athletes.

If you need ideas for improving player endurance and cardio, get in touch with some of the perennial playoff teams who have been doing it for a while.

Oh sure, if you have a Tyler Earl, Denim Reeves, Mitchell Parsley, Lyle Campbell or Jaquan Thompson on your team you will be successful no matter how you coach, even employing CC running. With our 2004 - 2007 RS teams we would have won many games deep into the playoffs rolling the ball out and putting them thru long distance runs, but I doubt we would have earned three championships during that time. Our kids were conditioned using game-like workouts almost every day of the week beginning the first or second practice of two-a-days. If we ran suicides or yo-yos, occasionally a Longhorn it was to build mental toughness, or it was punishment for lackluster practicing. Our kids built strong endurance and strength running pass patterns and play repetition versus the best scout team we could assemble. Anything else is wasting valuable time and energy.

Regular use of Cross Country training is neglecting proper football preparation. If your relying on it for your football and roundball conditioning, the AD should put you on a growth plan.

BC does have a cross country program. I agree that is not where conditioning for football comes from. In my opinion I think that it was a combination of the humidity and conditioning. Jaquan Thompson is an excellent player. He has a lot of heart and a lot of Talent and proved it in the second half of the football game. BC pounded him in the first two quarters. And he just proved in the second half why you never give up.

Sometimes a win is because one team is better than the other. Plus, a team makes it own breaks at opportune times. Injuries become a factor when depth is thin. I think Coach Richie knows what he is doing and second guessing his program is ridiculous. Those second guessing him are probably not in his league of coaching and wish they could attain what he has. Just another opinion.

I'm not second guessing Coach Richie's program at all. Just stating my opinion of what looked like could have been the factors of loosing and winning. BC has plenty of depth in talent and the few injuries that were on the sideline before the game had no affect in the second half. Do I think that Calvert had a better team. No not all.

BE":25g6ol5i said:
Cross Country my arss. You don't improve football endurance putting your team thru CC workouts like Fartliks and miles of slow running around the field or on the track.
But as your possible opponent guys like me hope you are coaching like that.

Teams whose coaches spend the time and energy sending their players on 30 minute runs have simply run out of good ideas of how to get their team better; Or they are victims of the old school thinking popularized by their own coaches who were veterans of the second world war and perhaps even Vietnam.
Long haul running builds good long distance runners, not quick, high impact twitch muscle reflexes and the sort of endurance necessary to feel capable of giving 100 per cent in the fourth quarter of a football game.
There are ways to increase football endurance infinitely better than CC training.
If we had our kids for two and three workouts everyday like the colleges and pros do, some longer distance sprinting could be beneficial. But we don't. And we shouldn't be given that much time with our student-athletes.

If you need ideas for improving player endurance and cardio, get in touch with some of the perennial playoff teams who have been doing it for a while.

Oh sure, if you have a Tyler Earl, Denim Reeves, Mitchell Parsley, Lyle Campbell or Jaquan Thompson on your team you will be successful employing Drill Sergeant CC running. With our 2004 - 2007 RS teams we would have won many games deep into the playoffs rolling the ball out and putting them thru long distance runs, but I doubt we would have earned three championships during that time. Our kids were conditioned using game-like workouts almost every day of the week and beginning the first or second practice of two-a-days. If we ran suicides or yo-yos, occasionally a Longhorn it was to build mental toughness, or it was punishment for lackluster practicing. Our kids built strong endurance and strength running pass patterns and play repetition versus the best scout team we could assemble. Anything else is wasting valuable time and energy.

Regular use of Cross Country training is neglecting proper football preparation. If your relying on it for your football and roundball conditioning the AD should put you on a growth plan.
That's what Ive been saying for years. Amen!

ol' gus":3q0nmp3e said:
FCSA football":3q0nmp3e said:
Did anyone stop and think that Calvert has a new and very dedicated and talented coach?

Yeah, but he's only won a couple of State Championships with Home Schoolers and the community doesn't support the team from what I saw last Friday night.

JaQuan Thompson, Coylin Grimes and others persevered under duress in the quarter I saw them despite a outstanding onslaught by BC. I wish I'd stayed to see the rest. I wish Coach Cherry and the Trojans the best of luck.

Just saying.....[/quote
They had a good coach last yr too.

Not sure what any of these last few mean.

Jonesboro looking like a lock these days.

RS/Calvert could be interesting but last weekend did nothing to make me think Calvert could finish the job against RS

angryGranger":3cvdm20a said:
Not sure what any of these last few mean.

Jonesboro looking like a lock these days.

RS/Calvert could be interesting but last weekend did nothing to make me think Calvert could finish the job against RS

There are no locks, these days or any others.
Like anybody else they have to Prove it week by week.

The best team won the game... You are only as weak as your weakest link, So even if your starters go down there are backups that are still apart of the TEAM. This game proved that th "Next man up" should be used more often... Stop making excuses for Borden County. BC lost to Calvert, way to hang tough calvert and never stop, GREAT coaching by the young Coach Cherry... And with Mr.Thompson still back there at spreadback anything is possible for calvert this year.

I am sure both teams learned very valuable lessons that will help them in the post season. Coach Cherry has invested in these kids on so many levels, and they worked hard for him until the last whistle blew. Teams come back from large deficits all the time, thats why they play them.

Sounds like it was a heck of a game, and I wish I could have been there.

Back 40 years ago in 11 man we started every practice running 2 miles which took less than 15 min to increase endurance in big games. Being a little tired better showed weaknesses that could be worked on. This wasn't the only kind of conditioning that we did by far, but an important part. I played both ways and never ran out of gas. BC simply ran out of gas, they were more skilled overall than Calvert and should have won. It is true Calvert has no XC program, but their kids will go play a couple of hours of full court BB after practice, they did not run out of gas. Six man requires endurance more so than 11 man. I see a good number of 6M games that are lost due to poor endurance conditioning. How can running a couple of miles at the start of practice be a bad thing ?

RogueEconomist":11ppln39 said:
Back 40 years ago in 11 man we started every practice running 2 miles which took less than 15 min to increase endurance in big games. Being a little tired better showed weaknesses that could be worked on. This wasn't the only kind of conditioning that we did by far, but an important part. I played both ways and never ran out of gas. BC simply ran out of gas, they were more skilled overall than Calvert and should have won. It is true Calvert has no XC program, but their kids will go play a couple of hours of full court BB after practice, they did not run out of gas. Six man requires endurance more so than 11 man. I see a good number of 6M games that are lost due to poor endurance conditioning. How can running a couple of miles at the start of practice be a bad thing ?
You could say the same for running 100 30 yd. sprints at full effort. Not a bad thing at all.
The jury is still out regarding how effective running 2 miles at a very slow pace is, especially in 6man? I think the science supports sprinting over LSD. But, If a kid wanted to do it over the summer I sure wouldn't tell him no. There are as many different training styles, I suppose, as there are coaches/trainers.

ol' gus":2cumzn3q said:
RogueEconomist":2cumzn3q said:
You could say the same for running 100 30 yd. sprints at full effort. Not a bad thing at all.
The jury is still out regarding how effective running 2 miles at a very slow pace is, especially in 6man? I think the science supports sprinting over LSD. But, If a kid wanted to do it over the summer I sure wouldn't tell him no. There are as many different training styles, I suppose, as there are coaches/trainers.

Back when I played 8 man at GC, we had a head coach who came to us from the 6 man ranks (Bob James) who believed in conditioning. We were not the best team, in fact were mediocre, but one thing for sure, we NEVER ran out of gas in ANY game, even as we were getting clobbered by better teams. Pre -season conditioning practices were topped off by doing anywhere from 3500 to 4000 yards of sprints, depending upon how hard we hustled and listened (and how sadistic Coach James felt that day) (jk). He usually started us with 10 sprints at 40 yards, followed by 10 at 30 yds, 10 at 20 yds, and 10 at 10 yards, then working back up the ladder in 10 yard increments at 10 each to 40 yards again. The finishing touch was a killer where we ran 10 yards, then back, then 20 and back, then 30 and back and then 40 and back, and again finishing by repeating the sequence in 10 yard less increments.

He would relent after the first month and cut it back to 2500 to 3000 yards of sprints on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday practices.

There were a lot of Technicolor yawns those first few days in August......

Smokey Joe, you are going to make me have nighmares tonight remembering those days of hay hauling in the summer. Bearkat, I haven't heard Bob James name in a long, long time. Did he become a salesman from Athletic Supply back in the early 70's. I think he called on us around the Brownwood area when I was in college. Bringing back old memories.

Old Bearkat":16j0t1p7 said:
ol' gus":16j0t1p7 said:
RogueEconomist":16j0t1p7 said:

Back when I played 8 man at GC, we had a head coach who came to us from the 6 man ranks (Bob James) who believed in conditioning. We were not the best team, in fact were mediocre, but one thing for sure, we NEVER ran out of gas in ANY game, even as we were getting clobbered by better teams. Pre -season conditioning practices were topped off by doing anywhere from 3500 to 4000 yards of sprints, depending upon how hard we hustled and listened (and how sadistic Coach James felt that day) (jk). He usually started us with 10 sprints at 40 yards, followed by 10 at 30 yds, 10 at 20 yds, and 10 at 10 yards, then working back up the ladder in 10 yard increments at 10 each to 40 yards again. The finishing touch was a killer where we ran 10 yards, then back, then 20 and back, then 30 and back and then 40 and back, and again finishing by repeating the sequence in 10 yard less increments.

He would relent after the first month and cut it back to 2500 to 3000 yards of sprints on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday practices.

There were a lot of Technicolor yawns those first few days in August......
Wow! 4000 yds, of sprints? Now you're talkin'!

Look at the bright side...don't let all that running go to waste, after the mercy rule you still have time to take them to a Cross Country Meet. :)

BE":1yx3ruac said:
Look at the bright side...don't let all that running go to waste, after the mercy rule you still have time to take them to a Cross Country Meet. :)
I don't care who you are, that's funny........

Back