Can Someone Explain what Happen Friday Night

Oh I agree with you 100%, it's just not a thing here. I really, really wish it was - it makes the game so much easier to officiate. We don't have the numbers to pressure them to use 5, we can barely cover 4.

Oh I agree with you 100%, it's just not a thing here. I really, really wish it was - it makes the game so much easier to officiate. We don't have the numbers to pressure them to use 5, we can barely cover 4.
Going to slightly disagree with you here but also acknowledge what I'm about to say may not be the most popular response and you very well may disagree, which is fine. But as officiating numbers continue to decline we do not need to sacrifice the product that is put on the field for the sake of making sure every game has officials. Top priority should be to have 5 officials on the field, and hopefully 5 trained officials. What I've already seen happen is going to happen and that is outlying schools are going to be notified there no longer have enough officials to cover their game. I know it's not fair to those schools but it's a product of the shortage that every coach, administration and fan has created. But if you're in a chapter that based on your weekly available number of officials can cover, for example, 15 games with 5 officials, then you cover 15 games. You don't then try to cover 2 more games by reducing the number of officials to four in 8 of those 15 games. The two games in question will simply have to be told to either move their game to Saturday or search elsewhere for officials. But as long as we continue to minimize what is put on the field, the game will suffer and officials will suffer.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. For that to occur (to go all 5 instead of 4) it's a 20% drop in six man varsity games we can cover. That's 3 games out of every 10 not having enough officials, and needing to be moved to Thur or Sat.

The decision to cover as many games as possible even with fewer officials was made a long time ago here, I don't know if it will change... I'm curious if all other chapters do this or if we are an outlier. It would be a big change for us, and I'd like to see TASO specifically pushing this to help keep coaches off our (assigner and board's) backs. How do you deal with coaches who only request 4, do you send 5 anyways?

100% agree with your last sentence. That's why I hate that they took away one of the only levers we had to draw in new officials - increasing pay - by locking us in set pay bands for the next decade.

Back