Burkhart leaving Richland Springs - what now

Six man will survive without Mr. Burkhart. But, it will be hard to beat the legacy he left. I hope he can bring success to Stanton. I would love to see him be a winner there to show the 11 man world that six man is real football also. Never met the man but it's apparent he knows football and how to motivate kids. Good luck Coach.

Sixman is dynamic and never stays the same. The sport will be fine, and there will be another come along to emulate his success sometime, (probably many years from now). Coach Burkhart will be sorely missed in this part of the country. There has never been a harder worker at his position. He is not only a great sixman coach, but a great man. Some coaches are winners, some are losers, some don't care either way as long as they get their paycheck, and some are just proud to be here. Coach Burkhart is a winner. Losing is not an option with him at any sport that he is involved with. Stanton is extremely fortunate to be getting a man like Jerry Burkhart.

Wow! I am pretty familiar with Coach Burkhart and Richland Springs in general; it is hard to imagine him anywhere else and someone else coaching the Coyotes. If true, this a huge deal!

Obviously his success at Richland Springs will be hard to rival at any level but especially in eleven man. I say this for several reasons including the parity amongst eleven man schools, the lack of innovation compared to six man because it has been dissected seven ways to Sunday, and Burkhart's impeccable resume at Richland Springs. I wish Burkhart would have at least won #9 to give Richland Spring's the most state titles in Texas High School Football History, but it may be the pipeline at Richland Springs has finally dried up?

With that out of the way, I believe Jerry Burkhart will be a successful eleven man coach if you do not try to compare his success at Stanton or other eleven man schools to his time at Richland Springs. I played against Richland Springs in high school and coached six man for a few years and heard coaches from Prairie Lea to Siera Blanca talk about how Richland Springs "recruits" and/or uses their foster home to recruit athletes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it does not take away from Burkhart's brillance as a coach even if it is true. Sure, you could ride talent to the playoffs every year but could not win the state title that many years without knowing a thing or two about coaching. People tried to say Tyler Ethridge or his dad were the reason for Burkhart's success, but then he won five without them including a win over Follett, coached by Harley Ethridge, in the state game. Schools like Calvert, Milford, Abbott, Strawn, Garden City, Throckmorton, Rule, and others had great teams year in and year out and Burkhart's Coyotes usually beat them.

I think Burkhart is a sound sixman stratgeist, but nothing Richland Springs did is not anything really ground-breaking. In my opinion, Richland Springs won consistently because Burkhart taught the fundmentals. How do I know that? Every Burkhart-led team I ever saw, from the Ethridge days to Richland Springs' Junior High, always blocked and tackled at a high-level. Richland Springs did not always have the most talent, but they got the most out of it. I also coached junior high football at a 5A school and was really shocked by their lack of emphasis on blocking and tackling. While I could ride a novel as to how the spread offense has ruined offensive line play in eleven man, I do not believe Jerry Burkhart will be sucked into that worm hole. Furthermore, he is a good man an excellent motivational speaker. He also played eleven man and I imagine he understands the Xs and Os of it.

Jerry Burkhart probably knows who I am because I have been watching Richland Springs for a long time. Many of those times were in high school when I wished I could out there playing in the game. Although I am not in the market to coach right now for personal reasons, I think Stanton would be an excellent spot to land for a young coach (assuming Coach Burkhart hasn't already assembled his staff) because Coach Burkhart would be a great mentor and I predict the Stanton Buffalo's will exceed exceptions right away.

I wish Coach Burkhart nothing but the best and will be rooting for him to do well.

I’m just worried about all those Burkhart/Richland Springs haters.
How will they survive? Who will they hate, who will they loathe, who will they accuse
of recruiting now. Will they go mute ? Can they imagine life without a target ?
Will they go to group counseling and get a discount? Just wondering.....

Jerry's biggest problem in 11-man might be realizing when you're up 45-0 at half, you still have to play the second half.

He will do well at Stanton. I suspect his success didn't have anything to do with anything in the Richland Springs water supplies but his hard work and leadership. And that might just work at Stanton, once the kids, parents, and community realize that a winner is a winner and you just hired one of the best. He'll figure out what to do with the other 5 guys pretty quickly.

Congratulations to my friend, Jerry Burkhart. And I also suspect that Richland Springs will do just fine under their new coaching leadership. (Hint to new coach there: Don't break what ain't broke.)

Yes they have had some lean years recently but they have enjoyed success in the past. It’s sometimes very difficult to keep excitement and enthusiasm in a program when times are tough. It’s even tougher at times to get Kids to even come out for football in those tough times. Coach Burkhart will prove to be the catalyst that revitalizes and rekindles that excitement and I predict it won’t be long until they reclaim their winning ways.
That District better watch out. Coach Burkhart is a fine man a great leader and motivator and it won’t take long for that to show on and off the football field.

Stepped away from the board after football season and come back and find out Coach Burkhart won't be at RS anymore.... best of luck to him at Stanton. It'll take some time but I'm sure he'll get them back to their winning ways. His legacy in Sixmanfootball remains and will probably not be matched for a while.

Jethro Bodine":1gj2ok65 said:
Stanton must be opening a new orphanage j/k

They don’t need an orphanage. The oil field is booming. If you’ve got a boy that can play ball, oilfield service companies in Stanton will be paying top dollar.

Nothing but Kudos and Respect for Coach Burk and his legacy. I don't think he would have taken the position without some kind of talent pool in place for the next few years. I also don't think he would take it based on potential oil field workers with possibly talented sons maybe moving in though that possibility is a plus.

If Coach Burkhart does in eleven man what he did in six man, he won't need exceptional talent, just some normal kids willing to work hard and learn.

Back