Blum vs. Aquilla

A few years back I bought my son a shirt, and on the front of the shirt it said "Winners train and losers complain." If you take care of the things you can control on every play you will be successful despite the other aspects of the game.

Okay, Aquilla fans please quit complaining we've all had to deal with injuries and problems. Now go ahead and take your ball and go home and get ready for basketball, and maybe you can have another chance next year to get revenge on Blum since their not as good as you think. Oh yeah, but at least Blum is still playing football! Like I've heard it said, Blum probably thinks this is a thing of mind over matter. "They (Blum) don't mind because you (Aquilla) don't matter.

CottonJin22":2vahs70a said:
Aquilla should have won that game. The refs did a terrible job in the 4th quarter. Blum couldn't have gotten much luckier with schedule. Aquilla would have 45d them in the first half any other week but we were missing 3 starters. The better team didn't win. Coach Ball, Coach Espinosa, Coach Notgrass and Coach Earl had a tough week trying to handle all the ridiculous b.s. that popped up this week. Blum will get drummed this coming week because they don't belong there anyway.
Quit your sniveling. Blum was without one of their best blockers and defenders and also lost their staarting quarterback on the second to last drive of the game. Yes that is correct, that was the second string quarterback in when the Bobcats completely embarrassed your defense scoring with 12 seconds left. Blum also had a few calls that didn't go their way. The refs missed a blatant block in the back and a horse collar against Aquilla, but that's just the way the game goes. I guess winners don't need to make excuses though. The truth is, Aquilla was up by 8 with less than 3 minutes to go but their defense couldn't stop Logan Bellinger. Then all they had to do was to field the onside kick cleanly to take the game to overtime, but they couldn't do even that. And worst of all, all they had to do is keep Blum from scoring with TWELVE seconds left but that weak D couldn't contain Bellinger and the Bobcats offense. Aquilla has nobody to blame but themselves. At one point, Blum gift wrapped an intercept to Aquilla, but the Aquilla player couldn't hang onto the ball and fumbled it right back to Blum. The Cougars haven't beat Blum since 2005 and you can expect that streak to continue for a while...so much for a rivalry.

Mexican Englishman":1ypgrml2 said:
Since 05? Sorry I call fake news on this. You are going have to provide facts on that.
Calling "fake news" doesn't actually make something not true. Use the "scores" link at the top of this site's homepage. It brings up scores from every game from the last 20 years or so.

Noticed there was some years that they didn't play? Still I have to admit a impressive streak. We need to take care of that. Note to Coach Ball Beat Blum, but if you want to keep your job Beat Abbott!

There was no trashy blum shirt hanging anywhere at Aquilla. Our coaches run the cleanest program around this area. Blum however might wanna get ready for a visit from UIL.

CleverUsername1":1l5zqgtw said:
Anyone got any predictions? Here is my slightly biased take on the game. They have common opponents in Abbott, Bynum, Covington and Avalon. Excluding Bynum since Aquilla won by forfeit, Blum is out scoring these opponents 202-78, while Aquilla is out scoring them 167-23. That equals to point differentials of +124 and +144, so pretty evenly matched. This doesn't tell the whole story though because Blum lost a key player in Dylan Vardeman halfway through the Abbott game and has been getting subs playtime throughout district. Last week against Avalon was the first game Blum has been completely healthy and has played full throttle with starters in the whole game, and it showed as they 45'd a team they were picked to only win by 26. Milford has already laid out the blueprint to beating Aquilla with speed, which Blum has plenty of with running back Logan Bellinger, who was a key member of Blum's state winning 4x400 relay team last year. Blum is somewhat small and lacks physicality on the O-line, but Bellinger excels at getting the edge, and once he's in the open you're going to have a hard time finding anyone in the state who can run him down. Blum is still young and inexperienced though, which can lead to breakdowns leading to lots of points given up defensively. Aquilla will be picked to win this game by the toy, but I think it will be a shootout with Blum coming out on top by a touchdown. Either way it'll be a great game though. Good luck to both teams!

This was definitely a great game! The best moments were when a few cougars "RAN DOWN" Logan Bellinger and kept it up pretty much throughout the entire game. One in particular was Mason Collins, a Freshman half his size,ran him down several times. There's more to it than speed. Collins has the speed, physical ability and acquired talent. BTW...Milford didn't win with speed. They won with their touchdown passes!

Back