Best teams ever that missed the playoffs

Garrett2810

11-man fan
I was wondering what people's opinions are on some of the best teams they have ever seen play or been a part of that for some reason came up short of the playoffs?

1977 Strawn....Only loss was last game of regular season to May. Both teams 9-0 going in. Tie game late in 3rd Q. May wins and goes on to win State.

2007 Garden City 3 way tie between GC, Rankin and Grady. Point differentials send Rankin and Grady on to the playoffs.

2000-04...old school D-10 when it was Gordon, Strawn, Woodson, Newcastle, Bryson, and Moran. This was always the hardest district in the state for several years running. I believe Gordon and Strawn got out the majority of the time, but Woodson, Bryson and Newcastle were no slouches. Definitely some playoff caliber teams had to stay at home in this district.

the 1967 Strawn team went 8 and 2, losing only to the 10 and 1 regional finalist Paint Creek team and the 10 and 1 regional champions Gordon team. Strong team.

1997 Blackwell - In a district with May and Panther Creek and all 3 were top 10 teams a few times during the season...Blackwell lost by 10 in week 10 to PC for runner-up and PC went on to the state game

1999 Blackwell - 3 way tie for district champs...beat quarter-finalist Highland and lost in a very good game they should have won to quarter-finalist Grandfalls by 7...I will swear to my dying day that Blackwell team was one of the best teams in state...would have gave Gordon a good game

1991 Moran and Lueders-Avoca - Neither have been better since. They were in a district with Gordon, Woodson, and Strawn.
2011 Gordon wasn't too bad either.

The majority of teams on this list will come from the time when they only took one team to the playoffs per district.

I wouldn't call this the "best" team ever but they were very disciplined and knew the game. The 1997 Cranfills Gap Lions. They were in a tough district with Buckholts and Jonesboro and these were the two teams that made the playoffs that year. Cranfills Gap lost to those two teams by a combined total of 12 points that year. Cranfills Gap beat Strawn that year in the preseason who at the time were in the top 5 in state. Very good group of kids and good coaching and it was very sad they missed out that year.

2004-2005 and 2005-2006 Westbrook Wildcats, both teams went 8-2 in a district with Ira, Borden County, Lorraine, and Highland. Never could get past Highland but traded wins with BC and Ira. Have yet to win a district game since then.

I would say May in 2008. They lost 3 games that year t-rock 102-100, Strawn 72-28, and Gordon 54-24.
At one point in that district there was 1,2,6 ranked teams. It was Nathan Howards Sr year.
If they were in any other district or on the other side of the bracket it would of been a way different story.

The era where only one team was taken to the playoffs a lot of good teams stayed home...I know the old Miles, Christoval, Blackwell, Paint Rock district usually all four of those teams were pretty good and it would just be the survival of the fittest!

I thought the topic was best teams ever.....Seems we have gone to decent or good teams that didnt make...

Shanon, Shanon, Shanon.

I would say most teams if not all would date back to when only 1 team made the playoffs. If you are taking at least 2 to the playoffs and dont make it, I would not say you are one of the best ever to not make the playoffs.

texaslonghorn75":1e81j0zd said:
the 1967 Strawn team went 8 and 2, losing only to the 10 and 1 regional finalist Paint Creek team and the 10 and 1 regional champions Gordon team. Strong team.

1967,,Some folks didnt have color tv then,Yaz won the triple crown
English was our only language

Back