Best 6-Man Passers of all Time

All records aside, the purest, natural thrower I witnessed on the field was Kimberling of Happy. His only weakness was his occasional inability to place short passes with appropriate touch. But his natural arm strength and velocity were unmatched by this witness. Number two in that category was Dakota Woods whose arm was very comparable to Kimberling's but with better touch-ability. Number three was Lyle Campbell at Gordon. Watch his films and be amazed at his uncanny skill of getting the throw off just before being tackled to a receiver 40 to 45 yards down field. After Lyle is Josh Robertson of Follett who I witnessed make half a dozen pinpoint passes 40 yds while in the grasp of some high quality defenders in the 2003 Six-Man All-Star game in Lubbock. He would extend his massive left arm in a stiff-arm motion while delivering defense demoralizing throws for scores and long first downs. Woods had this same skill but needed it less due to his better mobility than Robertson.

There are several others not mentioned here because I never saw them in person. Tanner Woods, Howdy Byars (sp?), Tanner Ethridge, the kid from Greenville Christian, Ski"s son at Lefors.
Here is my list of best of all time as seen in person.

2. Lyle Campbell.....Gordon
3. Dakota Woods.....Follett
4. Josh Thweatt.....Panther Creek
5. Barker of Whitharral
6. Jason Tharpe.....RS
7. Darius Kimberling.....Happy
8. Brandon Purcell.....May
9. Haustin Burkhart.....RS I never saw Haustin play after his soph. year, but having viewed five game films over the last three months he must be on the list.
10. Blayne Batla .....Garden City

coachbronk":1it1t9vq said:
SWRaider":1it1t9vq said:
51eleven":1it1t9vq said:
For a single game the record for TD's - 15, was set in the last game of last year by Harry Nowak of Strawn (this was for 6 man and 11). It was amazing to see.

Dont forget the giant asterisk that needs to be put next to that game

Why?

Well Coach, (I'm not one), the Strawn Coach played mostly JV freshmen on defense almost the entire game. He knew with his Sr laden team this would be most of his defense this year with few Jr's and Soph's. Giving them some Varsity experience was a good idea for this year though it hasn't helped much so far.
On offense he chose to let he Sr's (mainly) play pitch and catch in their last game. They never ran a running play. This showcased Harry's talent and that of his team mates.
If not for a broken hand bone in the early district games Strawn might have made a decent playoff run.
They did the year before.
Some consider not 45'ing as they could have easily done, probably by half time,
as a conspiracy.
I still consider it a memorable game, with Historical significance.

BE, the kid from Greenville Christian was Strand. I think that you missed him in the Texas vs the
World in 2008 at Garden City. He was very, very good competition for the Texas team, as he played with the foreigners. He was big, and could run the ball as well as being able to throw as well as I have seen. He just needed a Mark Williams! lol

I cant remember to save my life where I saw him play, may have been on a Saturday against Trinidad or Calvert. Yep, he had a smooth, quick delivery. I believe Trinidad beat him by getting to him more times than he could throw TDs. But he was excellent back there in the pocket. The game I watched they snapped it to him directly 90% of the time, therefore wasn't a double threat.

I woke up this morning and realized I watched Greenville Christian vs Trinidad on tape, not in person. We were scouting them either in 2006 or 2007.

BE":2ij8qq20 said:
I woke up this morning and realized I watched Greenville Christian vs Trinidad on tape, not in person. We were scouting them either in 2006 or 2007.
Not thread related, but. I woke up alive this morning and had to go to work. I'm thankful for that, though maybe not so much before the first cup of coffee.

Low blow 51, that felt like the pole vault bar I straddled back in 1974.
Take heart, someday you too can sit in that rockin chair and play dominoes and stare at the FOX News girls all day. (:

BE":2likrppd said:
Well 51, someday you can sit in that rockin chair and play dominoes and stare at the FOX News girls all day. (:
I'd rather work in my currently untended field and go to the rockies for the "summer" as it was 92 today in mid October.

Im starting to think there may be some validity to this theory of global warming. Get out the bicycles and leave that field fallow. I may be turning to the liberal "dark side" . Damn the jihadists, salvage those headless organs and lets drone them pipeline builders.

BE":2fm8irfc said:
All records aside, the purest, natural thrower I witnessed on the field was Kimberling of Happy. His only weakness was his occasional inability to place short passes with appropriate touch. But his natural arm strength and velocity were unmatched by this witness. Number two in that category was Dakota Woods whose arm was very comparable to Kimberling's but with better touch-ability. Number three was Lyle Campbell at Gordon. Watch his films and be amazed at his uncanny skill of getting the throw off just before being tackled to a receiver 40 to 45 yards down field. After Lyle is Josh Robertson of Follett who I witnessed make half a dozen pinpoint passes 40 yds while in the grasp of some high quality defenders in the 2003 Six-Man All-Star game in Lubbock. He would extend his massive left arm in a stiff-arm motion while delivering defense demoralizing throws for scores and long first downs. Woods had this same skill but needed it less due to his better mobility than Robertson.

There are several others not mentioned here because I never saw them in person. Tanner Woods, Howdy Byars (sp?), Tanner Ethridge, the kid from Greenville Christian, Ski"s son at Lefors.

Here is my list of best of all time as seen in person.

2. Lyle Campbell.....Gordon
3. Dakota Woods.....Follett
4. Josh Thweatt.....Panther Creek
5. Baker of Whitharral
6. Jason Tharpe.....RS
7. Darius Kimberling.....Happy
8. Brandon Purcell.....May
9. Haustin Burkhart.....RS I never saw Haustin play after his soph. year, but having viewed five game films over the last three months he must be on the list.
10. Blayne Batla .....Garden City

It was Keenan Lott from Lefors and not Trevor Czubinski. Trevor was a great back and receiver though. Lott went on to play and is now coaching at Northwestern Oklahoma State.

An ultra liberal Obama lover who does not believe in Glow-bile Warming. I don't know.
I do know I have never seen so many sick and dead trees---Live Oak, Pecan, Cotton Wood, Hickory, Pin Oak, Walnut. They are everywhere from the top of the Panhandle to San Antonio. It is starting to feel like a biblical curse of some type. I am no tree hugger, but we may need to start planting again. My wife's grandparents said in and around Tyler and Canton over 2 million trees have died. Also heard from Abilene to A&M 8 million trees have died in the past ten years.

I did a lot of hunting on family land in Mills County in the '70s thru '90s. On my Paw Paw's land there were dead, felled trees every five or six feet that seemed almost petrified. Paw said he cut them down during the 1930s drought so his sheep and cattle would have something to eat. On the bright side the new growth had regrown to form a gorgeous little Live Oak forest that the deer, turkey and a couple of antelope loved. That's right I said antelope. I swear on my big, hairy toe.
Maybe even a Bigfoot. (:

There was the 30's drought, the 50s drought (see Elmer Kelton, The Time It Never Rained), and there's this Global Warming thing. I try not to be left or right or comment on "political" issues but evaluate them on my own. But I read stuff about spring coming 3 weeks early in the next 100 years, Glaciers melting. Exxon evaluating the cost of drilling in relation to the defrosting of permafrost. And their public versus private conclusions. I remember skating on cans on a stock tank, that hasn't happened in many years.
94 in mid October? I Still don't want to mow, much less work on fence after working under the A/C all day.
Guess I'm just spoiled, or gettin' old.

BTW, BE. Regarding the title of the thread. I had a conversation with the former Strawn ISD Superintendent at the time a year or two after TE's graduation about his year at Sul Ross. The supe was a former coach who sired a All-State Defensive MVP. It was about them not using him at least on a half back option pass. I remember him confirming my opinion, and the records/stat's, "he could chunk a football".
Hope he's doing well these days.

Every year the ponds froze solid around Briscoe. We rode our bikes out to them and skated on our shoes for hours.
In school we were given Weekly Readers that predicted a new Ice Age was descending on the world which would cause western civilization to move south as far as Texas and Florida.
The old Obama Liberal said it best...a lot of money is being made scaring people to believe in climate change. These scientists remember how the Industrial Complex made a trillion dollars during the Red Scare and Cold War threat, now they are doing the same thing with climate change and educational fear-mongering. Who was the first to use this strategy to make money off the western people? The Roman Catholic Church-- "buy your loved one out of Purgatory".

Remember how John F. pushed the space and physical education industries. Everyone was compelled to push our astronauts into space and our young people into fitness.
All these movements are wonderful lessons in manipulating people into spending money. Maybe we should get on the bandwagon with Save the Something or other. Might make a ton.

I would love to see how Tyler Ethridge & Mitchell Parsley compared on full stats. It would also be interesting to think about the RS teams of Tylers Junior & Senior Year - playing against Mitchel Parsley's Jr. & Sr. Years.

Back