Best 6-Man Passers of all Time

boys 2 men,
Tanner Richey played Tailback his senior year so he didn't throw the ball much. He was 35 of 60 for 761 yards and 13 TD's. He had 3536 yards rushing on 184 carries and 51 TD's as a senior. I shouldn't have replied but I just saw this and actually had the info. Sorry, take care, TR

Just my humble opinion....but this appears to be a list of Best 6 Man Passers of All-Time (at only UIL schools)...there are another 123 teams (as of last season) that have players/stats that don't appear to be included here...If this is to be an exhaustive list, let's not forget the kids that are outside of the confines of the UIL...

According to the stats on Max Preps, looks like at least a handful of kids from Non-UIL schools would make the All-Time List from there stats from just this past season....

Again...I could be wrong, but just my humble opinion

No insult intended but except for a handful non uil teams dont usually face the same competition level. I could give examples but dont think there is a need

CT6MFL -

For some players if it was cumulative it would help...but others it would hurt I think...while I know he was a great player before his senior year...Lyle Campbell is an example of a case against cumulative...he didnt reach his athletic peak (on the HS level) until 1998 1999...

Also there are programs that have such great talent it holds a guy back and they cant really show their talent until their JR or Senior year...Lanham Brown at Throckmorton comes to mind

And I agree that may be the case. Its just the definition that throws things for me.

A definition of any kind requires checks and balances.

for instance "best 6-man passer of all time"
variable 1, stats included must be from a 6-man contest (no-brainer)
variable 2, must have valid usable passing statistics. (no-brainer)
variable 3, time (in question)

Considering that stats were not readily collected in the beginning, there are a lot of greats that will never be considered.

All, I’m saying is this probably should be done by year, then done by decades......maybe.

Its kind of like the UIL "Centennial teams" the list for 6-man is ok, but you know there is no way they can be entirely accurate. We know that someone got screwed, their just no longer around to say so, lol.

just some thoughts....

oh yeah..
No insult intended but except for a handful non uil teams dont usually face the same competition level
isn't this the same thing 11-man guys say about 6-man guys;)

Hey CT6MFL- Was thinking the same thing....Not trying to say that a lot of the Non-UIL teams out there run w/ the big boys of West Texas, but does seem to be a double standard when the argument between 11 man and 6 man comes around....

Seems like a lot of the issues around UIL being that much better...sounds a lot like the argument that obviously the SEC is the best conference in college football....may have been true for a while, and may even be true today, but UIL districts are just like the private schools- upper tier, and then the others...Just think that if we are claiming "of all time" we shouldn't eliminate roughly 50% of the kids in the state playing the game because we don't THINK they might be as good....

Feels kind of like when everyone gets all worked up about Dave Campbell doesn't include 6 man stats when talking about best games/seasons/careers, etc...and everyone gets themselves worked into a lather...

Just sayin....

I dont think it is about "being so much better" but more like the UIL holding teams to much stricter standards of play and eligibility of players than private schools do...or at least that is one piece of the argument I have heard over the years...not saying that that statement is true...but that it is a perception that some people in the public school backed community has.

Well i'm not trying to weigh between private and public, thats a different conversation all together and above my resources to comment. The only thing I know to be the same between them is the rules of the game. How they got there to play, I can't comment.

I really do think what yall are trying to do is Awesome!!

I'm just saying the title "Best 6-Man Passers of all Time" has alot of holes in it.

Coach Richey,

Thanks for sharing. Tanner is an amazing young man and reminds me of his Dad. Very proud of both of you and all of your accomplishments. I didn't get to see Tanner play during his senior year, but knew he had an amazing career. So proud to see him play at the D1 College level. Great accomplishment.

We know you had lots of TD's and an amazing career too. If remembered correctly, more of your TD's were running & we would definitely put you in as a favorite to be on a list of BEST ALL PURPOSE PLAYERS OF ALL TIME. But shouldn't your passing stats be included here. We would be honored to know them.

Barney75070,

Some of the premier players we have ever seen play sixman football were in private schools. We have included quite a few and 1 of them ranks in the top 8 while 14 rank in the top 50.

Without verifying stats on any of these private school greats, we will list them here as we have them ranked now. We anticipate that this will create lots of discussion about verifying stats, varsity only games, etc. We thought several would rank higher than they have, but the formulas ranked them as follows:

NCAA Rank, NFL Rank, Comp, Att, Yards, TD, INT, NCAA QB Rating, NFL QB Rating, Name, Team, Year, Games Played
8 - 13 - 66 - 106 - 1641 - 33 - 2 - 291 - 138 Brendon Brawley, Jr. Granbury Cornerstone 2012 - 12
23 - 15 - 188 - 277 - 3105 - 59 - 5 - 229 - 137 Joey Rosamond Azle Christian 2014 - 11
24 - 23 - 187 - 285 - 3330 - 55 - 8 - 222 - 133 Joey Rosamond Azle Christian 2013 - 12
25 - 30 - 149 - 238 - 2765 - 48 - 8 - 220 - 128 Stanley Dunbar Methodist Children's Home 2013 - 11
27 - 40 - 81 - 148 - 1697 - 34 - 6 - 219 - 118 Roy Dawson Brenham Christian Academy 2010 -
28 - 28 - 70 - 119 - 1288 - 26 - 2 - 218 - 129 David Salazar - Jr. Notre Dame Catholic (Wichita Falls, TX 2014 - 9
29 - 33 - 210 - 361 - 4264 - 74 - 12 - 218 - 126 John Estes IV ACHS 1996 -
31 - 20 - 146 - 234 - 2462 - 44 - 2 - 211 - 134 Isaac Cuellar - Sr Round Rock Christian Academy (Round Rock, TX 2014 - 11
32 - 27 - 89 - 149 - 1653 - 28 - 3 - 211 - 129 Brando Hernandez - Sr Our Lady of the Hills (Kerrville, TX) 2014 - 9
33 - 21 - 115 - 178 - 1727 - 34 - 1 - 208 - 134 Chandon Wright - Sr Harvest Christian (Watauga, TX) 2014 - 13
35 - 34 - 188 - 327 - 3414 - 63 - 6 - 205 - 125 1 Coltan Bofinger - Jr Living Stones Christian (Alvin, TX) 2013 - 12
39 - 42 - 76 - 141 - 1432 - 26 - 4 - 194 - 117 Lawrence Gallow - Jr Community Christian (Orange, TX) 2014 - 11
40 - 32 - 98 - 152 - 1439 - 23 - 3 - 190 - 127 Caelan Freeman - Sr Trinity School of Texas (longview, TX) 2014 - 13
41 - 36 - 138 - 224 - 2224 - 33 - 7 - 187 - 121 Chris Tarvin, Sr Granbury Cornerstone 2011 - 12
42 - 37 - 127 - 209 - 1745 - 33 - 3 - 180 - 121 Peter Griffith, JR Kingdom Prep Academy 2013 - 10
44 - 38 - 104 - 177 - 1639 - 25 - 4 - 179 - 120 Alic Vlsage, Jr. CHANT Chargers 2014 - 14
46 - 43 - 144 - 229 - 2018 - 30 - 8 - 173 - 116 David Kleban - So Emery/Weiner (Houston, TX) 2014 - 11
50 - 53 - 78 - 170 - 1474 - 26 - 5 - 163 - 104 Will Schroeder - So Vanguard College Prep (Waco, TX) 2014 - 11

Notice most of these are from the past 3 years. Maybe we just need more help finding their official stats. It is great to see more and more private schools playing top UIL schools. It is through head to head competition where we find out how the teams really compare. We hope to see more of this in the years to come.

CT6MFL,

Great thoughts. It would be great to see a list of players with best career passing stats of all time. We will work on that, but to do it justice, we will need more stats on players in their earlier years (seasons with less than 1000 yards etc).

We would love to see a list of greatest players of all time - backed up by stats. What stats do you think should be included to make such a list? What would you call it?

As for this current list that we are working on: maybe it needs a name other than Best 6-Man Passers of all Time, we are open for suggestions. Wouldn't it be great if we (collectively the 6-Man Nation) were able to compile some lists of great players that Granger might find a place here on his website to post them & keep them updated?

As for now, this list is an attempt to use stats to compare top passers: in their best seasons, both UIL & Private, regardless of what grade the player was in.

We would even love to see stats from players out of state. That would spice up the conversation wouldn't it?

CT6MFL,

No doubt, there are some great players from years gone by that we may never see there stats. Our hope is to begin compiling a list now to give us a place to start.

There have been threads through the years here that talk a lot about the best.... whatever players of all time. Our goal here is to establish a way to validate those opinions with statistical facts.

However we hope you will help us uncover some stats on some of those greatest players from the good ole days. I bet there are some great old game films out there somewhere that would be fun to pull out, dust off and watch. Hopefully some will be found and stats compiled and the greatest players will make the list from an era where keeping stats wasn't quite as easy as it is today and it is far from easy today.

I will tell you right now accurate stats for looking at reel to reel (16 or 8 or super8) is impossible to get as it was almost impossible for a camera man to change out a reel and not miss plays...or after 30+ years of sitting in storage for a film to be in perfect enough condition for it to be transferred digitally without parts being chopped off or unable to be viewed...

as for the senior Richey...he would be included in the prolific rushers of all-time...or defenders of all-time as he had 6 INTs in a single game!

My thoughts are….

1) Any statistical data you can collect is Awesome.
2) With old stats, there were no real standards, so come to a consensus on what to collect. If interceptions were not a part of the common statistical data then you may need to cut it from you equation and make a special note for everyone. ****Please not that these "passing ratings" do not include Interceptions, because it was not a common statistic for the time period.
3) If you have a period where it is mixed data then you need to find a way to note that as well, or find a way to make them equal by removing inconsistent data.
4) Find a distinct year/decade where standards were introduced at the High School level to serve as a separation point. i.e. The NFL “officially” started keeping stats in the 30s. I think it was 1938 but don’t hold me to it. You may not see the word "official", but I’m sure you can tell in the paper archives when statistics became common at the High School Level.
5) Put the consensus of everyone down on paper so everyone is on the same page.
6) Keep those stats separated from the others.
7) Collecting old stats sounds like a good senior/school project to me. I’m pretty sure that it would make for a good opportunity for a scholarship prize. There’s still a lot of old film laying around in 8mm and vhs. In-case of a ghost school, maybe an old-timer that’s into Genealogy may help.
8) This would be good for all stats, not just passing stats.
9) Any list created from old data will be a "evolving list" as more information is uncovered or meets the preset criteria.

Remember every day that goes by another piece of history is lost. Technology is slowing the effect some, but it will not catch everything.

Going forward…..

1) Current Stats that are collected should meet or exceed what is kept by 11-man standards.
2) Not only should your stats reflect accomplishment made by the player, but it should be able to help bridge the gap between the 6-man and 11-man thought process. –This will be the toughest challenge. The stats should play a factor for judging the next level for the player. Maybe the 6-man community needs to have a unique "durability rating/score"? Like Stallone said..."it ain't about how hard ya hit, It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!”;)
3) Organize your efforts; I’d say under the Texas 6-Man Coaches Association or maybe a separate entity.
4) By organizing, I mean organizational structure. Start with the big picture “Texas” and break it up into manageable sections. Find some like minded folks (coaches/old timers) in the areas and try to get them to help.
5) Once you organize and have structure, you will gain support.
6) Max Preps could be a solution, if everyone was on the same page. That would require as much support and push as doing it yourself, but the hierarchy is already set. The down side would be trying to make change in order to bridge the gap between 6-man and 11-man.

Once you have a steady structure then you can start labeling things on what you have, both new and old.

Speaking of statistics... check out the story of Desoto QB, Desmon White. Its quite a compelling story and makes me reflect on 6-man ballers that much more.

sorry if I rambled....

Leman, I contacted the Standard Times and while speaking with them they realized there were no end of season stats on interceptions for Tyler or Jared. Apparently either we didn't give them that info or they simply did not report interceptions after the season. Even so, I seem to remember seeing that stat in their weekend editions over the years, but it would take much time and effort to find it. Those games would have to be dug out individually and examined, and that is something most of us just dont have the time to do.
If this is a problem with many of our past players, it may be a stat you are going to have to eliminate.

By the way, how do you factor in situations unique to sixman, like the mercy rule? Is 'time played' a variable? I simply dont know and was wondering.

Sorry I couldn't help.

By the way, how do you factor in situations unique to sixman, like the mercy rule? Is 'time played' a variable? I simply dont know and was wondering

Whats really interesting is when people try to compare 11-man to 6-man, and that fact is brought up. The funny part that usually gets left out is the 6 man teams "fore the most part" are 12/18 in number of players and that most of the seniors play both ways. Therefore if the Mercy rule gets put in effect then you still would have played 4 quaters:).

Which coaches have endurance standards? Which is not the same as training for endurance, but what the level thats exceptable/expected.

I heard at one time the coyotes all ran 2 miles in 16 or so minutes, which is pretty much the same as Airforce standards.

Guys- this is really great stuff!!! Thanks for the efforts in building the model and collecting the data...really fun to share w/ our guys!!! Grateful for your efforts!

My final 2 years at Summit Christian Academy I had, what I think, was an outstanding QB and one of the best HS QB's I've coached in my 18+ years.

Samuel Castello:

Freshman Year: 84-134 1,376 yards .627% 30 TD 2 Int QB Rating - 130
Sophomore Year: 179-296 2,747 yards .605% 41 TD 10 Int QB Rating - 117

Those are pretty impressive stats if you ask me. He also led our school to their 1st ever District Championship as a Freshman plus back to back State Quarterfinals appearances.

Great young man.

Back