Are there too many teams in the Playoffs?

Obviously not good contests...but they deserve to have their shot no matter how the match turned out....
Over half the games in the regular season ended the same way....should we not play them?

Even in Championship and later playoff rounds there are 45's all over the place...part of this game

Pop you keep mentioning the hospitals making money. That implies you anticipate more injuries. That may be one reason to limit the numbers.

Too many teams? That I a a horrible question. There are over 169 teams now a days playing 6 man football. That means districts are growing. So in that case taking 2 teams from each district isn't to much. Always remember how many of the six man teams are already playing basketball

Old Bearkat":21xmi7g0 said:
PopRay":21xmi7g0 said:
When is enuff...enuff...

Have we diluted the playoffs too much?

Yes.

It's well past time to restore the district championship to it's former significance.

Who is it not significant to anymore? I know we would be thrilled to win one. If a District Championship is down-played, that is the coach's and community's fault of that team.

I can see it both ways. A strong district that has 2 really good teams benefits from 2 going to the playoffs. Those weak districts with only one strong team, ends up with the second place team getting blown out in the bi-district round. Those 11 man districts that send four teams is a joke. It's all about the UIL getting their cut of the gate receipts. It's a money thing! To me, it's embarrassing to the integrity of the game to drag too many teams into the playoffs.

I can see two teams going in Districts with 4 to 6 teams...the problem with SixMan is that you have teams in D2 that through attrition, for one reason or another, can't or don't play out their schedule...thus you have maybe three teams competing for two playoff spots in those situations...Is it wide spread?...Not terribly...If we had several more teams joining perhaps these districts can be filled better....

several years back our district had three teams that were very very good and I would have put them against most others district winners ours (Ft Davis, Garden City and Rankin) so im for having two teams from the district.. I had rather see more than less. I grew up in eleven man but I love to see the effort from a sixman team that flies to the ball on defense and blocks downfield on offense

Watching the news last night, I saw where a Lubbock area team made the playoffs
with a 1-9 record. They got blown out first round.

That's ridiculous.

Coach Brand":260sjr99 said:
Watching the news last night, I saw where a Lubbock area team made the playoffs
with a 1-9 record. They got blown out first round.

That's ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? The team that won got to play some ball instead of having a bye. Those kids from the 1-9 team also got to play one more game...what is wrong with that? Did you check their record and see who they lost to this season and how those teams did/doing? I'll even bet that there are some teams that went 8-2 and 9-1 that might get beat pretty bad, too. I'm just really not seeing why everyone doesn't like more playoff football games. Why would any football fan want less? (and you will still get very good games to watch...)

Coach Jones, I love football. I also love ice cream. All things in moderation.
I haven't been closely involved with kids in a number of years but I wonder about the amount of time devoted to extra curricular activities.

Here is what I say, the numbers should be lowered. There are some big schools playing sixman. Schools that would have been 11 man when I played are sixman now. Thumbs down plurbbbbbbb! Go back to one division, put 5-6 six teams in a district and send the top two teams to the playoffs. It worked 18 years ago and further back. If numbers are the big deal, maybe sixman division 1 schools should be 8 man. I don't see an issue with that. Anybody else?

I am proud to have a new friend! Truth is the truth! I am going to start a petition! I hope to have backers. Starting it right here on this site!

Back