Are there too many teams in the Playoffs?

Reread my first post.......... Get greed, money , out of it. I doubt that teams make that much out of it. Wonder who does? UIL? Naaaaaaahhhhh.........

I really liked it when they added a second team from each district, but in the long run, it might have been better just to have left it alone.
Your higher classifications have four teams from each district. That just ain't right.
Pearland had a 2-8 team that made it. Then later had an 8-2 team that didn't. Several 3-7 teams make it. And that's in 5A.
Also, I feel two teams from a four team district is stretching it.
But that's just me.

how bout supporting those hospitals...gas companies...Mama's Kitchen or that concession stand trying to send the Juniors on a Senior trip?
Not to mention Momma gets to see her son play one more time....lots of winners....

PopRay":1dijisqz said:
how bout supporting those hospitals...gas companies...Mama's Kitchen or that concession stand trying to send the Juniors on a Senior trip?
Not to mention Momma gets to see her son play one more time....lots of winners....
Good point.

And Evant made it in 2004 as a second place team.
First time in 50 years. (And they haven't been since).
The school and town went nuts.

The right team will be the last one standing no matter how many make the playoffs. The weaker teams will be taken care of in the first round...and if they don't, it's a great story. This is not "everyone gets a ribbon" philosophy. No teams that get 2nd in district, then lose in the first round get a trophy of any kind. They do get one more week of football. What is wrong with that?

And to answer the original question: no, there aren't too many in the playoffs.

PopRay":3kirm9ik said:
Ol Elk....Pampa made it in with a 1-8 record...now that's really a little too much(little).....

You're right.
And a four team district with two teams forfeiting their district season, (happened this year),
could possibly have a team make it without winning a single game on the field.

texas man":7by8ww6t said:
Yes we need a change teams like Gold-Burg, Rising Star, and Oglesby have no business weak districts and people forfeiting games is the way they got in 2 of the three teams won one district game its a joke.
No, we need to change the system. Those teams got in by doing what they needed to do based on the system that is in place. It is not their fault that teams forfeited, nor is it their fault that the system allows it to happen. But to single out teams, saying that they should be changed isn't right either. just a fyi, Rising Star would have won the game that they won by forfeit, had it been played. Just sayin.
And I agree, it IS a joke, but it is a joke on the UIL for setting up such a bad system.

As long as there are 16 districts per division, and only 2,3,4 or 5 teams per district, it will stay this way. Fewer districts therefore more teams per district would help.
Seeding the playoff teams 1-32 would help eliminate first round matchups like Throck/Ira. But to do that, they would need to come up with a mathematical formula that didn't have any bias in it to seed them.

texas man":259zu3gq said:
Yes we need a change teams like Gold-Burg, Rising Star, and Oglesby have no business weak districts and people forfeiting games is the way they got in 2 of the three teams won one district game its a joke.

How is it their fault that the teams in their districts forfeited? Blackwell had all teams except robert lee forfeit should they not make even though they lost only one game this year? Your comments are border line ridiculous. Two teams from district is how it has been for more than a decade why would you change it now. Some districts runner ups could be head and shoulders better than another districts champion.

Hornkeeper you are correct those team did what they had to do and uil is the one that should fix this. Every now and then we get a Cinderella story but it's very unlikely. There's a few districts that are good top to bottom but very few. I guess we will see how many "upsets" we have friday.

Back