6 or 8 team Districts

6 team districts would be great...but to do that you'd have to do 1 of 2 things:

1. Get rid of the two divisions and go back to just one division (aint going to happen coaches association likes it to much)

2. Take away the two division set up as we have it now and make the set up more like the higher classifications, have larger districts but have it where 3-4 teams from the districts make the playoffs and divide your playoffs accordingly based on enrollment...much like the way the UIL did 2A/1A baseball playoffs last season

(someone else can probably explain what I am trying to better than me here...)

I would play devil's advocate here and ask the question...Even then would it really solve the scheduling problems? Teams are cancelling games at a high rate now, mainly non-district, some for no legit reason other than they dont want to get beat. Adding two more district games only helps the problem a little bit, you still have to fill your non-district schedule.

This topic is on the same cycle as the privates vs. publics debate.

It will never happen. School districts like having a playoff team - or at least a better chance at having a playoff team. The UIL likes giving out participation trophies - How many state championships do we have across all classes of football? No less than 12 by my count.

That's like asking people who are getting free stuff to vote for someone who wants to quit giving them free stuff.

Leman Saunders":3ne8d3vj said:
I would play devil's advocate here and ask the question...Even then would it really solve the scheduling problems? Teams are cancelling games at a high rate now, mainly non-district, some for no legit reason other than they dont want to get beat. Adding two more district games only helps the problem a little bit, you still have to fill your non-district schedule.

By combining these 4 team districts into 8 team districts, they could take 4 teams to the playoffs.Everything should play out the same, except each team would only have to fill 3 non-district games.
If they were lucky enough to get a 4 and a 5 team district combined, only 2 non-district slots to fill. As it is now, some schools are showing 3 byes and are still scrambling to find a game past the middle of the season.
I don't think that it will happen, but I also didn't think that Benjamin would ever get six-man split into two divisions either.

Here are some radical ideas that would solve the problem. NOTE: THIS IS PURELY FOR FUN!

1. Increase the 6man cut off number to 116. And raise the 2A one as well. That would give you about 40 schools that last snap shot had 116 and lower that play 11man...thsi will give those schools more incentive to play 6man thus increasing the number of schools playing and therefor increasing the district sizes while at the same time raising the D1/DII cut off mark making it more likely schedules will include more teams that arent struggling to field teams.

2. Decrease the 6man cut off number back to around 85 and due away with the two divisions. That would cut out about 20 schools, and leave you with about 112 schools in 6man resulting in 6-8 team districts.

3. Bring back 8man and due away with division splits in 2A. Make the 6man cut off around 85 (112 schools), make the 8man cut off around 160 and adjust each class accordingly.

Then all of your preseason games will be 3hrs away. We are already having complaints this year because of all the last minute cancellations then traveling 3 hrs to catch a game.

tobyvann":4xd6qpxa said:
Then all of your preseason games will be 3hrs away. We are already having complaints this year because of all the last minute cancellations then traveling 3 hrs to catch a game.

Not necessarily, there are many close teams except in far west Texas. If you will still be looking for some "marshmeller Church skool" you may have to drive a ways!
And the sticker is, you will only be looking for 3 games.

1. 8 or 9 teams in district. Top 4 to playoffs. Would be like area track and hopefully get best 4 to playoffs.

2. It would still be 32 to playoffs in each division.

3. Would love to see Public schools only play Public schools.

Leman Saunders":2t8zkkyy said:
Here are some radical ideas that would solve the problem. NOTE: THIS IS PURELY FOR FUN!

1. Increase the 6man cut off number to 116. And raise the 2A one as well. That would give you about 40 schools that last snap shot had 116 and lower that play 11man...thsi will give those schools more incentive to play 6man thus increasing the number of schools playing and therefor increasing the district sizes while at the same time raising the D1/DII cut off mark making it more likely schedules will include more teams that arent struggling to field teams.

2. Decrease the 6man cut off number back to around 85 and due away with the two divisions. That would cut out about 20 schools, and leave you with about 112 schools in 6man resulting in 6-8 team districts.

3. Bring back 8man and due away with division splits in 2A. Make the 6man cut off around 85 (112 schools), make the 8man cut off around 160 and adjust each class accordingly.

really-cute-prairie-dog-climbing-up-out-of-a-hole-hyt0ca.jpg

Did some one just mention 8 man?

Johnny South":e9f434bw said:
You're right Smokey. I missed it. We only need a few more on board in order to solve the world's problems! (the sixman world)
I think we may be paddling upstream against a pretty stiff current.......but the world is right....in Ruidoso listening to Jody Nix......

rainjacktx":1vodkrc3 said:
This topic is on the same cycle as the privates vs. publics debate.

It will never happen. School districts like having a playoff team - or at least a better chance at having a playoff team. The UIL likes giving out participation trophies - How many state championships do we have across all classes of football? No less than 12 by my count.

That's like asking people who are getting free stuff to vote for someone who wants to quit giving them free stuff.
Ain't this the freakin truth! I really think the watering down has hurt the caliber of play in all the UIL sports! A lot of these championship teams are very weak compared to most state champions in their respective classes 20 years ago and back!

Everyone tries to make it so complicated when it is so simple. Even Lemon tried to complicate it by throwing in the 8-man scenario, raising the enrollment numbers etc.

Back