6 man History

also checking OBK's math there and he is off on Gustine and Mullin it appears.

Longest current streak of playing 6man football (correct me if I am wrong)

Paint Rock, Jonesboro, Sidney - 1949-present = in their 71st straight season of 6man
Gustine, Mullin - 1950-present = in their 70th straight season
Buckholts - 1951-present = in their 69th straight seasons
Blackwell - 1952-present = in their 68th straight seasons

Double checking and correcting OBK's math (believe you were off by a year on everyone)
Most seasons playing 6man football

75 - Blackwell, 1938-43, 1947, 1952-2019
74 - Oglesby, 1940-41, 1945-52, 1956-2019
74 - Paint Creek, 1944-2017
71 - Jonesboro, 1949-2019
71 - Sidney, 1949-2019
71 - Paint Rock, 1949-2019
70 - Benjamin, 1939-40, 1945-1957, 1965-2019
70 - Gustine, 1950-2019
70 - Mullin, 1950-2019
69 - Buckholts, 1951-2019

These are outside the 30 year window but.
Knott consolidated with Ackerly - New school is Sands CISD -They have played 6 man, 8 man, and 11 man over the years. Have been 6 man since mid 80's
Flower Grove consolidated with Klondike in the 70's. In 1960-61 school year and 1961-1962 Flower Grove won the Regional Championship. You can find video of both games on Youtube.

oldergoat":nghpgp9r said:
Knott consolidated with Ackerly - New school is Sands CISD -They have played 6 man, 8 man, and 11 man over the years. Have been 6 man since mid 80's
Flower Grove consolidated with Klondike in the 70's. In 1960-61 school year and 1961-1962 Flower Grove won the Regional Championship. You can find video of both games on Youtube.

Yes you can...as well as many other "extinct" schools like Norton, Putnam, Novice, Star...old Lueders before consolidation with Avoca... like, share, subscribe as they say!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0kxK ... subscriber

I remember playing Flower Grove in basketball my freshman ans sophmore years

I'll start off with the first organized 6 man district in West Texas, the Pioneer School Activities Association, a group consisting of Forsan, Garden City, Ackerly, Stanton, Courtney, Garner (Knott), Coahoma, Westbrook, Water Valley, and Sterling City. Westbrook, Knott, Ackerly, Coahoma, Coahoma, and Courtney had played a round robin 6 man schedule in the spring of 1938, and a meeting in September 1938, Forsan, Coahoma, Garden City, Courtney, Sterling City, and Knott decided to play in the fall.

All except Knott, Ackerly, and Courtney are still in existence.

From the Big Spring Herald 8/16/1938

The PSAA was not affiliated with the UIL at that time.
Ackerly Sands? same town, school name different because the town is divided in 2 counties Dawson and Howard right?

never mind didnt scroll far enough down, obviously someone answered my question LMAO!
Ackerly and Knott consolidated in 1959 to form the Sands school. At first they were going to build a new school about halfway in between, but that fell by the wayside, probably due to the cost and they continued to use the old Ackerly school buildings. I think the old Knott school was used as an elementary school for a while.

If you read further in this thread, you will see an old Abilene newspaper article from 1948 about why all the small schools were closing. It was mainly due to agricultural mechanization, which allowed farmers to do more work with fewer hired hands. those laid off farm workers moved off to the nearby bigger cities to work, leaving fewer familes to send kids to the local schools. Before WW2, the average farm size was about 300-400 acres, if not less, now it is a couple of square miles or more. For those towns that were more dependent on the oil industry, the closing of oil patch service yards (Rankin for example) led to a large population decrease. This is compounded by the decrease in average family size, as most folks when I was growing up in Garden City had at least 5-6 kids (my Mom's family had 16!), now most don;t have more than 2 or 3 children. Rural Texas is slowly depopulating and I do not see anything changing that any time soon.

The growth in the number of 6 man schools is an indicator of a really bad problem, not a good sign.

Unrelated to Texas 6 man ball, but here in Illinois we've seen many of our smaller schools have begun transitioning to 8 man. This year 24 schools are participating.

Unrelated to Texas 6 man ball, but here in Illinois we've seen many of our smaller schools have begun transitioning to 8 man. This year 24 schools are participating.
When I was in high school at Garden City, we played 8 man. The UIL got rid of 8 man in 1976, Garden City and many other current 6 man schools played it from 1958-1975

That's about how many were playing 8 man in Texas when the UIL decided to end it. It peaked out at about 50 schools in the early 1960's.

Back