Who can beat Abilene Christian?

Why does this incessant bantering go on and on? People who have no real clue to what they are talking about. No real experience over the years watching and following this same scenario work it self out year after year.

The hopes and dreams of the Privates vs the reality of the Publics. I don't know why this is going on AGAIN !! This is as bad as the Tech Raider fans who are always saying they are in the same league with Texas, Oklahoma and say Nebraska.

Once in a great while you will have a Tech beat one of the elites. Once in a great while you will get a Private school who can play a game against a top rated Division 1 school and compete. Not often.

OK let's go with a few numbers here: ( These are called facts backed by data.)

Abilene Christian is currently ranked #18 with a power rating of 263.10
def #177 .. Saint Jo ……………. 68-0 … 1-4 ...154.3
def #31 … Newcastle …………... 80-44 … 4-1 … 245.69
def #58 .... Rockwall Heritage ….. 54-6 … 2-3 … 221.09
def #130 .. Willow Park Trinity … 62-6 … 1-4 … 176.32
def #165 ... Woodson …………… 64-0 … 0-4 … 160.00
Best win is over #31
Worst loss is from #0

Ira is Currently ranked #4 overall from all the Division Rankings with a power rating of 294.79
def #9 …. Follett …... 69-24 … 2-2 …...266.94
def #27 .. Knox City .. 72-48 … 1-4 ….. 222.56
def #15 .. Ropes …… 56-12 … 4-1 ….. 256.17
def #29 .. Loop …..… 54-4 ….. 1-4 ….. 189.13
Best win is over #9
Worst Loss is from #0

Given the information above we can extrapolate the following:

•••••••••••••••••••••••
The average ACHS opponent would lose every game to the average Ira opponent by approximately 42 points.

Average ACHS opponent rating is 191.56
Average Ira opponent rating is 233.70
•••••••••••••••••••••••
I did not go to the trouble of running the numbers to get the overall rankings for Ira’s opponents but just using their Division rankings is pretty close on this:

Average ranking for ACHS opponents is #112
Average ranking for Ira opponents is somewhere around #20
•••••••••••••••••••••••
ACHS Best win is over #31
Ira Best win is over #9
•••••••••••••••••••••••
ACHS Opponents overall records are 8-16 for a 50% won/loss ratio ........ ( 4 of those games were won by one team - Newcastle )
Ira Opponents overall records are 8-11 for a 72% won/loss ratio

I will give you the occasional burp of the Toy missing games by a substantial margin - Case in point this year ... Gordon and Strawn. But that is unusual.

Discounting the pie in the sky 4.6's - the super human overall team speed - the unbelievable desire and work ethic of ACHS - I will still go with Ira based on fact.

I think this will be a close game right up until the time there is a kick off.

Man y'all guys really love stats huh? Well They don't matter one bit. The fact is Abilene hasn't given up more than six points but one time this whole year. Against Willow park they only gave up six on a kickoff when the players that never got to go in, went in. Y'all also can't seem to get over the public and private thing, why does that have anything to do with how good you are? I saw Throckmorton Who is ranked 3 now, play Covenant. And from what I saw Bracken, Country, and Abilene Christian would beat them. They're to slow for those schools. Yall just seem to have it in your head that rankings matter, when they don't.

Kuddos to JO!! That was the best answer to any thread I have ever read! Great answer to the ongoing Private VS Public school drama. Public school football will always be king. And private schools will always say "what if. What if"Yes ACHS is a good football club,but predistrict games dont mean anything we will just see where Ira and ACHS are after distict play thats what matters. And BTW the comment of the game being "close til the kickoff" is freaking funny. I dont think Ira will be worring about ACHS being the last game before district play but they still are going to take the win probably with the JV playing

Not sure how much stock I'd put in district play when it comes to ACHS. Not saying their district is weak, but if someone else said I I probably couldn't disagree. What I fear, ACHS fans, is that you are building up the Ira game as your Super Bowl, and then if you lose the rest of the season will be kind of a downer, because you really won't be challenged in district play, so you'll have lingering doubts about whether you are really any good because you lost to the one really good team you played all year. And by the way, this isn't a public v. private thing, as I am partial to the private schools.

FootballFinatic11":3jjy2a1b said:
Man y'all guys really love stats huh? Well They don't matter one bit. The fact is Abilene hasn't given up more than six points but one time this whole year. Against Willow park they only gave up six on a kickoff when the players that never got to go in, went in. Y'all also can't seem to get over the public and private thing, why does that have anything to do with how good you are? I saw Throckmorton Who is ranked 3 now, play Covenant. And from what I saw Bracken, Country, and Abilene Christian would beat them. They're to slow for those schools. Yall just seem to have it in your head that rankings matter, when they don't.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!

Yep - stats don't mean a thing. Held those power house - low rated - mediocre power ranked teams to those low scoring numbers.

I've got nothing for or against the Public / Private thing. Only thing I have is history and data to go by.

It would be wonderful if your vaunted ACHS could take the field with one of these slow Throcks - Borden County - Garden City - Richlands or Rankins. I believe your distorted perceptions would most definitely be modified. Oh yea - gonna get their chance - enter Division I #3 ranked Ira.

As a matter of fact ACHS will have it's ranking changed after meeting the slow top ranked teams.

Funny they have rankings that decide the national championship at the NCAA Division I level. Guess rankings don't mean much there do they ?

Big private school fan here, and am so completely against what the rest of my kin are saying on here. TAPPS D1 is solid this yr, best all around its been in awhile. Even so, public school is king and will always be king. sixman just isnt ingrained into our young scholarly cross-wielding men's minds as it is to our rural neighbors. Ira will win, maybe not romp, but I hope they do to send all this nonsense and talk (cuz thats all its been...Hill Country-nope, Dallas Covenant- nope) of revolt in the private school ranks back down the drain and restore order to our beautiful sixman world.

And thats all it is is talk. We are all sixman fans in small town Texas and thats what we love whether its private or public its sixman and thats whats in our hearts. No 11man talk here only sixman for life. It will all be decided on the field and in postdistrict play

And if I'm Ira or I'm Abilene Christian, I'd better be thinking about who's on the schedule this week.

This game will play out when it does ... and as well as private schools have done this year, I'm still hesitant to call it a trend.

justobserving, that is actual scores, gameplay, and stats. What I'm talking about rank doesn't matter is the computer does a ranking based off spreads, which is completely different. Because when I was talkin bout the score, that's the actual team in the game, which is proof. The ranking are by computer that don't know the players or skill of teams that can match up differently.

FootballFinatic11":7ett02z1 said:
justobserving, that is actual scores, gameplay, and stats. What I'm talking about rank doesn't matter is the computer does a ranking based off spreads, which is completely different. Because when I was talkin bout the score, that's the actual team in the game, which is proof. The ranking are by computer that don't know the players or skill of teams that can match up differently.

Please don't take this the wrong way but - that is just plain stupid. Yes the game is played on the field. Yes upsets do happen.

Rankings, stats and history mean a tremendous amount. If they didn't there were be so many upsets every week they wouldn't be called upsets any more.

I am sorry but you have taken an emotional stance on this - and that is fine - but it does not allow the discounting of facts.

You must understand - played / Coached this game for 25 years and watched for another 25. You don't beat the facts. Cheat them sometimes yes ... but never beat them.

Have nothing against any team ... but loyalty aside ... one must face the straight up reality of what is....

No, all I'm saying is that the rankings can't predict the outcome of the game. Yes they can make people EXPECT a certain outcome, but can't determine it, and that's when an upset happens when people expect a team to win. But y'all think they will win because of rankings and ratings. You arent taking the actual player and team skill into consideration. ACHS players can't help they have played not great teams, but they did what they were suppose to and handled them easily, so I don't see how y'all just determine off of numbers. I'm not emotional? I just think it's silly. Lol!!

Back