Where is the best Mexican food

Freaked me out about the Barrios family. That was the matriarch who was murdered, but Bobby Flay actually threw down against Diana. Viola was there at the event, I think.

I have been away from SA too long.

granger":1m7ad48e said:
Freaked me out about the Barrios family. That was the matriarch who was murdered, but Bobby Flay actually threw down against Diana. Viola was there at the event, I think.

I have been away from SA too long.

I stand corrected.

With Taco Bell & Bueno mentioned unflatteringly I can't believe no one mentioned Taco Cabana on the fast food end (even in jest).

Used to eat at Rosa's all the time in Odessa.....hated it but wife always won......did I mention, I am divorced now.

LOL

Andy

51eleven":3npk9hs6 said:
With Taco Bell & Bueno mentioned unflatteringly I can't believe no one mentioned Taco Cabana on the fast food end (even in jest).

Taco Cabana is at least acceptable in the Mexican food department; wifey loves the toritilla soup and was really ticked when the restaurant here didn't serve the Chicken Flamente which was available in San Antonio. Now the true test of a Taco Cabana fan is to remember where the ONLY Taco Cabana was until the early to mid 80's ... at Hildebrand and San Pedro in San Antonio. And it wasn't pink back then ...

I have always heard that the more grease that is on the edge of the plate the better the Mexican food.
One of the best local Mexican Food place is Gomez Restaurant in Brownwood Tx.

No, I did not like it........it is ok the first 2,678 times but I could not handle #2,679, I cracked. She is history.

Andy

How about small town family owned Mexican food though? The kind of places you eat at on the way to six man games.

The primary ones that come to mind for me are:

Pedroza's - Lamesa

Carlos - Big Spring

I think these places are the real gems of the state, but not always easy to find unless you know where you are going.

Here's a few pretty good places as well....

Snyder : Spanish Inn
SE of Houston (Kemah) : La Brisa
Acunia Mexico : Don Marcelino's
Lubbock fast food : Taco Villa (they serve french fries)
Lubbock : Abuelo's, Ruby Tequila's
Navasota : El Calienta
Del Rio has several good places as well, too many to name......

Campo Verde in Arlington has very good Mexican Food, also Mia Familia in Brownwood has good Mexican food. Joe T. Garcias in Fort Worth is well known but in my opinion Campe Verde in Arlington is much better.

Well doublesteal thank you. Hadn't thought of Tupinumbas in years, didn't know if they were still in business, used to be very good but I don't do Dallas anymore unless absolutely necessary. Right up the road on the south side of Whiterock lake was the 1st Taco Bueno I ever encountered, used to go there on Friday/Saturday nights before dancing at the circle.
Lifegate, I've only eaten at Taco Cabana once, in New Braunfels. It was not bad. For the fast Mexican food I'd rate it or Taco Bueno over Taco Bell though I think the Bell's better than the Taco Casa locally (Stephenville).
Back in the metromess, no one's mentioned Panchos Mexican Buffet. Several of the "guy's" in Highschool used to go there & have eating contests for $1.99 each. I think most of us are still alive though I remember something about 1 location being shut down for a while after the health department found dog food or rotten meat in the back several years ago.
My daughter used to love their sopapillas. I liked the cheese filled chille rellenos (sp?). :roll:

San Antonio has MANY hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants that are GREAT. I stay away from downtown ones because they are Definitely touristy and over-priced. You can find a GREAT hole-in-the wall anywhere you go in SA. Unfortunately I have probably not ate at the best ones because they are probably on the South Side.....I know the one near JFK high school, served Great/Cheap breakfast taco's. My son's mother used to teach at JFK and would go there almost every morning.

Back