Where is the best Mexican food

allforhim

New member
Mexican food is by far my favorite food. Where is the best Mexican food in Texas?

For burritoes...freebirds in College Station (or any location)hands down the best.

There is a hole in the wall joint in Temple, sorry I can't remember the name has great food.

The best fajitas that I have had is at Pasados ( several locations)

Where else?
 

CRSARM

New member
OK, you got me craving Mexican Food. I went to Eastland tonight and ate at Pulidos <sp>. I eat there a couple of times a month and it is great.

By the way, you owe me $57.46 as the girlfriend and kids wanted to go too......it is your fault.

Taco Bell........hmmmmmm.......mexican food, I don't think so.

LOL


Andy
 

freeagent

Moderator
CRSARM":34z4z36v said:
You left out TACO BELL of course it is the best.

Andy


Anyone who suggests that Taco Bell serves quality Mexican food should be permanently banned from this board.

A friend of mine once suggested a good way to judge a Mexican restaurant. When you go in, check the health department score. If it's 100, leave and go somewhere else. You want a place that scores about 88-92, so that the pans and kitchen are a bit seasoned.

Thought he was crazy, but my favorite joint in town moved to a new place about 10-12 years ago. They totally re-furbished the place, even getting new pots and pans. It took a couple years to get back to the quality of the old place.
 

Red_Devil_DDS

Active member
lifegatesports":os0pgqz6 said:
Anyone who suggests that Taco Bell serves quality Mexican food should be permanently banned from this board.

Or Freebirds! :lol:

A friend of mine once suggested a good way to judge a Mexican restaurant. When you go in, check the health department score. If it's 100, leave and go somewhere else. You want a place that scores about 88-92, so that the pans and kitchen are a bit seasoned.

Thought he was crazy, but my favorite joint in town moved to a new place about 10-12 years ago. They totally rebuild, even getting new utentils and pans. It took a couple years to get back to the quality of the old place.

The uglier the cook, the better the food.

Dos Compadres in Midland/Odessa
Lujans in Lubbock
As for San Antonio, there's too many to name. I lived there for 4 years and barely scratched the surface. Granger could have a website dedicated to SA Mexican food.

I'm thinking about having some Chris Madrid's this weekend.
 

51eleven

Well-known member
About 20 years ago we stopped at a little place in Lajitas. Don't remember the name but it was right over the Rio Grande.
Maybe it was the location or the waitress broken english. Maybe I was just hungry after a long ride. Can't remember what I had, just that it was spicy but good. There's also a place at the mercado in San Antoinio I've read about that I can't remember the name of I hope to try someday (from a old Texas Monthly article?).
 

freeagent

Moderator
51eleven":2owt5lqd said:
About 20 years ago we stopped at a little place in Lajitas. Don't remember the name but it was right over the Rio Grande.
Maybe it was the location or the waitress broken english. Maybe I was just hungry after a long ride. Can't remember what I had, just that it was spicy but good. There's also a place at the mercado in San Antoinio I've read about that I can't remember the name of I hope to try someday (from a old Texas Monthly article?).

In El Mercardo, there are two places. One is La Margarita and the other I think is Mi Tierra, but they're both owned by the same family. Mi Tierra is actually the "more popular," but I prefer La Margarita. You can hit either squarly by tossing a flour tortilla from one to the other, but of course, there's no reason to do that 'cause the tortillas are too tasty!
 

HighwayRobbery

New member
There is a place in Eden called City Limits or something like that, it's right off of 83 toward San Angelo at the very edge. It had great food, and Brady has a few but my personal favorite is El Flamgio....though I haven't ate their in a while and it was going downhill last time I checked.
 

Melani

New member
I didn't get to read all the post but Mi Pueblo in Fort Worth has great Mexican Food. If you come this way give them a chance. Mi Pueblo's is down the street from Red Lobster.
 

51eleven

Well-known member
Also in Cowtown you must include Joe T Garcia's just south of the stockyards (Elvis liked it). Andy mentioned Pulido's which is a good standby if theres one near you. Same can be said for El Chico & El Fenix, though last friday the service sucked bad at El Chico in Granbury even though they were not very busy (the time before service was excellent).
And right up there with Taco Bell is the old college standby, Jack in the Box 2 for 99 cent tacos (we all know J n th B is owned by Ralston Purina, so what's in thoes tacos?).
 

CoachA

New member
anyone on here who is saying anything about Taco Bell's greatness, or God forbid, Jack in the Box???, must live somwhere they don't have Taco Villa.
 

granger

Founder
or a Taco Bueno.

but seriously, not a big fan of Mi Tierra and La Margarita... just too touristy for me.

My favorites downtown (just south of DT) in SA are El Mirador, Rosarios

Teka Molina on St. Mary's was great , but he closed so the only one open is on San Pedro near the mall

I like Los Barrios on Blanco as well as the Blanco Cafe that's actually on Blanco south of Hildebrand

I have started eating at shacks on the side of the road and authentic places here in Austin. There's a guy who does this great blog, Taco Journalism
http://tacojournalism.blogspot.com/

this is making me hungry... I could go for a macho tostada myself (btw folks, that's a hamburger, but with beans and REAL tortilla chips and enough grease to kill you)
 

freeagent

Moderator
CoachA":1in0a9tj said:
anyone on here who is saying anything about Taco Bell's greatness, or God forbid, Jack in the Box???, must live somwhere they don't have Taco Villa.

Remember when Jack was accused of importing kangaroo meat for their burgers ? .... but my wife really likes their smoothies. It's her birthday today. Maybe I'll treat her to one ...
 

freeagent

Moderator
granger":3tc4jwbe said:
I like Los Barrios on Blanco as well as the Blanco Cafe that's actually on Blanco south of Hildebrand

The lady who owned Los Barrios was murdered about a year ago ... the story takes all sorts of twists and turns, but a neighbor kid broke into the house, robbed her, killed her, set the house on fire, and left with her car. They busted him a few days later and the lady's family (esp. the son) showed so much kindess to the family of the murderer ... even offered to pay for the kid's lawyer (until the DA and others pointed out that it would be a conflict of interest and possible grounds for a new trial); anyway, it's a story of Christian mercy I doubt most of us (myself included) could duplicate.

The lady (I forget her name) was featured on the Throwdown show on the Food Channel.

All this talk of Mexican food has made me hungry ... fortuantly, I got a table reserved for tonight at my favorite joint. I might even take the speakers for our clinic there next Thursday night ...
 

CoachA

New member
when we lived in San Antonio, we really liked Salsalitos -on Nacogdoches just off O'Connor. Really good and not touristy at all. I agree with Granger about the other two. Ate there a lot when I was teaching at UTSA downtown - very convenient. I also loved some places deep into the West side, not far from JFK High School that were usually converted gas stations that opened from 5:00Am to 2:00 PM. Not sure what i ate several times, not sure if I want to know, but it was good ...
 

Old Bearkat

Moderator
CoachA":3urxvzm9 said:
when we lived in San Antonio, we really liked Salsalitos -on Nacogdoches just off O'Connor. Really good and not touristy at all. I agree with Granger about the other two. Ate there a lot when I was teaching at UTSA downtown - very convenient. I also loved some places deep into the West side, not far from JFK High School that were usually converted gas stations that opened from 5:00Am to 2:00 PM. Not sure what i ate several times, not sure if I want to know, but it was good ...

Meow, meow, woof woof!!!
 

freeagent

Moderator
Old Bearkat":kmwoknkm said:
Meow, meow, woof woof!!!

I was a little more worried about the use of all the pig's parts.

I remember moving to San Antonio back in 1979 and I can still remember walking the aisle of the nearby Eagle grocery store on San Pedro and seeing this frozen hog head in the meat section with absolutely no idea of what you did with it.

Asked my boss, a native from El Paso, and got the answer. Haven't been able to eat tamales since ...
 

allforhim

New member
CoachA":3nijqfvd said:
anyone on here who is saying anything about Taco Bell's greatness, or God forbid, Jack in the Box???, must live somwhere they don't have Taco Villa.
I wish east Texas had a taco villa! When we lived in west Texas we would eat there every chance we would get.

There is a pulidos in Mineral Wells that was a weekly favorite of mine in high school. I haven't been there in a while so I don't know if it is still good!

Melani":3nijqfvd said:
I didn't get to read all the post but Mi Pueblo in Fort Worth has great Mexican Food. If you come this way give them a chance. Mi Pueblo's is down the street from Red Lobster.
Melani Uncle Julios on Camp Bowie is good also.
 
Top