Where is the best Mexican food

Taqueria Aranda's is fast food but at the same time isnt. Anytime you can hit a drive through and get prime lengua its legit.

Joe T's in Ft. Worth is the best place to enjoy fajitas. If you're like me you have to wonder how many drunk people have jumped in the pool.

Bob's Taco's in Rosenberg on Alt. 90 is greatness. There hot sauce must be opium based, very addicting. If you spent much time in the greater SW Houston area you will agree that it is as authentic as Acuna.

If you are traveling down 45 ( Fairfield exit. HWY 84) or are traveling on highway 84 through Teague stop at Taco Palin. Garmin it, Tom Tom it, On Star it. Do whatever it takes but its worth it.

West, Tx. Im from there so I dont get excited about Kolaches. Tiger Stop downtown has the burrito of your dreams for 2.50!.....Also you can have it with a cold Budweiser at 6:30 in the morning. Gotta love the Czechs.

THIS is great information folks, in the next month or so I would like to summarize everyone's choices, maybe it could be a guide for those traveling to games starting this fall. I ALWAYS want to know the best MX place in any locale. That said, it would be helpful if everyone could distinguish the Categories being discussed, then your favorites can be understood in perspective. I would like to suggest the following categories:

TexMex - The hybrid most Texans were introduced to sometime during their childhood. Most true TexMex is likely not good for you due to the presence of saturated fats (Lard, Cheeses, etc.) in large quantities. However, this category is the equivalent, to most of us, of your Grandmother's cooking or Southern Comfort Food. Every so often, you just gotta have it! So in this category, comfort, familiarity and atmosphere are likely more of an influence that actual taste, authenticity or originality. Also, TexMex is almost NEVER available anywhere in Mexico. And the word "Favorite" is HIGHLY subjective!

Regional Mexican - This is a difficult category, because most Texans (myself included) have not traveled extensively South of the Border and therefore not tasted the Regional Cuisines from which all Mexican Recipes are derived. There are also influences from Cuba, the Islands and Countries further south than the highly diverse (just like the USA) country of Mexico. However, I truly believe that this category represents not only the MOST authentic Mexican Cuisine but the best tasting, freshest, most original and healthiest.

Southwestern (Mexican) Cuisine - This is a US based Category, representing regional diversities created by the rich history of Mexican cultures that either settled (prior to the Civil War) the Southwestern US or emigrated to the newly formed states of New Mexico, Arizona and California. There are serious local and regional distinctions. And I suspect (hope) many Texans have had the pleasure of tasting a True New Mexico Green Chile Pork Stew or a bowl of Posole (Pozole, actually a Pueblo Indian Dish) made with Northern New Mexico (preferably Chimayo) Red Chile Powder.

Mexican (US Based) Chains or Fast Food (Franchise) Mexican Restaurants - This is where the Great Tragedies of the world of Mexican Food are cleverly created. In this atmosphere cost control, speed, marketing and familiarity of taste reign supreme. Sadly, many children were introduced to this wrapper disguised slop before they had the comforting pleasures of your local Mom and Pop Tex Mex Restaurant. Shame on you parents who took your kiddos to Taco Bell before a local Tex Mex place. It could take years of training, even therapy, to work their taste up to the level of Tex Mex, the next rung up on the MX Food chain. I will stop before I admit how I REALLY feel about Mexican Fast Food Restaurants!!! Still, somewhere in here there are SOME good dishes (like Chango's in Austin).

Hybrid MX or Southwestern Nouvelle Cuisine - MORE Tragedy at the other end of the taste pretension (and cost!) ladder. Hybridized versions of dishes created with lots of seemingly trendy sauces or "drizzles". The word "Aoli" is used a lot here, and at least three combinations of things that sound way cool to the uninitiated are always present on the menu. The white tablecloth of the world of Mexican Food in Texas, and usually available only in the trendier areas of larger Texas cities. Despite the pretension, there are some darn good dishes cleverly hidden among the confusing descriptions, but I expect not too many of these places will be on anyone's radar. Unless you happen to have the misfortune of living in Dallas or Houston or (like me) Austin!

ONE LAST CATEGORY - Breakfast Tacos - This is an animal unto itself, and neither Darwinists or Creationists can explain the true origins. Although I'll bet my best gimmie cap that both camps will argue incessantly about the veracity of the other's theories. I have no idea where they came from, but I cannot live without them. Some people now say that Austin is also the Breakfast Taco Capitol of the world. Any takers? Please include your BT favorites here, I really wanna know. And I'll bet you do too!

I hope I have inspired some of you to categorize your faves, I would love to make a summary for the common consumption of all Devoted Six Man Fans who travel and are curious about those local culinary gems many of us know nothing about. Thanks in advance - ALAN

With a severe hangover that would have grounded an elephant I limped down Cesar Chavez and tried Juan and a Million. Due to the Travel channel fame I waited almost an hour at about 11 o'clock on a Sunday Morning( with no way to hold my head that didnt hurt). I have to admit Alan there breakfast tacos along with a leftover pork chop from Coopers saved my life.

How ya been Mr. Director?

MATT - Juan in a Million is where the Mexican Mafia hang out on the East Side. But luckily they do not shoot Gringos on Sunday morning. Been good, been busy. There are lots better places for Weekend MX Brunch than that questionable Dive. Try Polvos on South First next time; shorter wait, better salsa, handmade fresh corn tortillas. And you? Staying away from the spirits I see! Take care....

South of Midland on Midkiff road, about a mile South of Interstate 20, the world best Mexican food is available. It has a name but I never borthered to learn it, I just know where it is.

We need more 6man teams in the permian basin

markf":sbvk3pus said:
I can handle the Lengua,good stuff,,,BUT!!

Cold Budweiser at 6:30 in the morning. Yuk!!!!

Got to be past noon...

It's always past noon somewhere.

And I promise I will vote for any Texas politician who promises to outlaw Mexican fast food chains (aka Taco Bell) for their poor excuse for Mexican food. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've eaten there ... and I would still have fingers left to pick my nose.

I highly recommend the Sunday brunch buffet at Garduno's in Albuquerque. Cooked to order eggs, burritos, meats and about 50 other items including the best posole this side of heaven. Last time I was there it was about $10 - about the same as your average Golden Corral trough-grazing but oh, so much better!

It's a local chain in Albuquerque. I've eaten the buffet at 5400 Academy NE. I've also enjoyed a plate of enchildadas while waiting for Southwest Airlines in the airport in ABQ - great location for huevos rancheros before the early morning flight out. There is also one in the heights on Montgomery NE.

In addition to the Sunday brunch, they also serve up a great lunch buffet with lots of cooked to order items.

Another favorite in ABQ is El Pinto. It's on the far northwest side (10400 4th st. NW), near the balloon launch site. If you go there, take time to admire the huge cathedral geodes in the bar area. Also, remember that in New Mexico, the red enchilada sauce can be hotter than the green sauce - it pays to ask!!

If you want Mexican food, fast...the Stripes Convenience stores with Laredo Taco Company is great. They make all the food from scratch and we particularly love the Barbacoa (although your arteries might not). They have very good Carne Guisada, Enchiladas, and of course, their tortillas are made from scratch.

It's not bad for a quick fix.......

Or, if you're ever out by Maryneal, stop by and I'll cook you up some mean, authentic Mexican food. I make killer tamales, tortillas, and Carne Guisada. ;)

Back