Where is the best Mexican food

alan wrote:
> NEVER been to El Mirador on South St. Mary's, will try that one next time I
> am in SA. I LOVE the local places, thanks for the tip. Speaking of which,
> but not Mexican food, is the infamous Liberty Bar still there? Or did the
> building finally lean over so far that it fell? Have been to the Restaurant
> on the west side of the building a number of times, I love that place,
> great homemade bread!

There is a Liberty Bar on the southside of downtown (http://www.liberty-bar.com/home/) but I think it's a newer location of the original bar which was on Josephine Street, which closed about a year ago.

That is right, the original Liberty Bar was on Josephine. Too bad it closed, I guess that building finally fell over! Next time I am in SA I will check out the new location. THX for the heads-up.

Don't know if these have been mentioned, but my favorites are:

1. El Camino in Tulia - best chile rellenos on the planet.
2. La Popular in Abilene - best carne guisada on the planet.

Shane":2x59olo2 said:

And La Popular has the best corn tortillas

smokeyjoe53":2omycbla said:
Shane":2omycbla said:

On the planet?????

This is the "Smokey Special" at El Jalapeno. I usually have this 3-4 times a week............

Attachments

• IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 17,388
Taco Taco Café at 145 E Hildebrand Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212 is consistently excellent, and has not been mentioned. The food is always fresh, and made from scratch.

Fonda San Miguel at 2330 North Loop Boulevard West, is an Austin experience... definitely a bit on the pricey side, but the food is excellent. You pay for ambiance here, but it is a place to keep in mind for celebrating a special occasion. If you like their corn pudding, I have successfully duplicated the recipe.

Paloma Blanca (5800 Broadway St #300, San Antonio, TX 78209) has always been very good when I have tried it, but I heard a bad review from a Los Barrios devotee... you can take that as you will. Like Fonda San Miguel, the ambiance is no small part of the experience.

No one has yet mentioned Uncle Julio’s (5301 Camp Bowie Boulevard, Fort Worth, TX 76107), but it is reliably good, as good as Joe T’s, but more of a Mercado Juarez atmosphere. Speaking of Joe T’s, in my opinion, the “daughter” restaurant, Esperanza’s Restaurant & Bakery is better, though the recipes are theoretically the same.

Dos Chiles Grandes (1703 State Loop 129, Bridgeport, TX 76426) was well above average the last time I ate there.

Very interesting read as the season winds down.

I used to eat Mexican food at lunch in downtown San Antonio at least twice a week for about 7 years. Then a doctor told me my cholesterol was too high and I cut it out. Funny thing, I cut the Tex-Mex for lunch completely and it went down 80, seriously.

Anyway, for those of you with better genes that I, here is what I have:

Best enchiladas - Brown's on Hackberry hands down, if it is still there. Used to eat there once a week. Imagine this...a boat-like dish/plate that is filled to the brim with red enchilada sauce, so much so you cannot see the three gobs of cheese wrapped in pure corn tortilla awesomeness; and in the sauce are big chunks of meat, not ground meat, chunks of meat cut somewhere off a cow (I think). And to top it off (this I believe is what made the meal) they would heavily sprinkle the top of the boat with cheese and put it in the oven to bake. When you got the dish you could not touch it or it would burn your hand and the cheese on top was all melted and redish-brown on the edges, almost burnt. Not an onion fan, but mi compadre who dined with me at Brown's on a regular basis was and if you chose, the onions would come atop the boat in whole chunks, freshly cut. To top it off, the iced tea was served with Sonic style ice.

One thing I thought was interesting was the clientele. I concluded that Brown's, down the street from the Little Red Steakhouse, was a non-Hispanic people Mexican food place, because the only people I saw in there were non-hispanic people that reminded me of the people I grew up with at the bowling alley my grandma would take me to for her league. At Brown's there were always guys from the garage with their names on their chest and at least 10 people over 70 itching to light a cigarette.

I hope it's still there. The original owners sold it to a Hispanic family and it was still good enough I thought after the change. The strange thing was that the wife of the guy who had it when I ate there all the time was from Nebraska. She actually told me a good joke - What does the "N" on the Nebraska helmet stand for?

Knowledge

Best chips - Karam's. I think it is gone now, but I put at least 10 pounds on at this place. I would order the fajitas and just put the meat on the chips and douse with salsa. Never a productive afternoon back at work after a Karam's lunch.

Granger is right that El Mirador is very good. I heard they bring the linens out for dinner though, much different that the lunch crowd I saw regularly. More authentic, interior Mexican food. He also was partial to Rosario's, which I thought was kind of funny for this audience. Good food but let's just put it like this, you're not going to see many 6-man football fans at Rosario's.

Los Barrios is OK. Better atmosphere than food, but your car may get broken into. Same with La Fogata, great atmosphere, but food is inconsistent and very traditional interior Mexico, not Tex-Mex, and real possibility you will have a broken car window.

El Charro's in Tyler, Great Mexican food. And, although it is against my religion to go into a Mexican food place and order non Mexican food, my wife talked me into the chicken fried steak. Was the 2nd best chicken fried steak I had ever had. (Next to Mary's in Strawn)

Dogface":2pkcvr0n said:
smokeyjoe53":2pkcvr0n said:
Shane":2pkcvr0n said:

On the planet?????

On the planet. Probably in the galaxy too, but I haven't travelled THAT extensively. Haha!

I cannot second the endorsement for El Camino in Tulia enough times. Excellent, excellent, excellent food.

The chile relleno is the top dish, but everything is else is pretty good, too. Great quesadilla.

Back