When will we have Football?

FCSA football":1q71liqg said:
I hope when we do run into each other we are still on this side of the dirt ! :)

I assume you are talking to oldfolks, FCSA. If I remember correctly, you told me if you ever met my Canadian ass you'd put me in the dirt lololol ;) Glad to see you're still passionate about the game FCSA!! :)

Headlines ,,,,,“UIL puts pause on summer workouts “.
.....“Texas sets one day record in Covid-19 after three consecutive record days “
It looks like the 2020 season is on life support .
Texas Football 2021 ???????

As long as the hospitalizations don't get too high, we are going to need several record setting weeks to get this thing spread around enough to get past it, unless they release the vaccine shortly. I hear Pfizer is on track.

Johnny South":1g82el0i said:
As long as the hospitalizations don't get too high, we are going to need several record setting weeks to get this thing spread around enough to get past it, unless they release the vaccine shortly. I hear Pfizer is on track.
Our healthy young people will be the least affected by the virus, if at all. They need to active and involved with life which might include football and other sports. It's not like we have large groups of people together except at the games of course(why we are six man football right??). The biggest challenge is each school board determining relative danger and with the Media constantly harping on it makes it difficult to determine that factor. My cousin in Breckenridge mentioned that Breckenridge is open 100%. I'm guessing most of the west Texas and Panhandle area is too. May be there will only be Out Law football this fall if the UIL falls in line with trending information. Remember now, in those motorcycle accidents its was the Virus that killed them, not the sudden stop.

I will start by saying that I think six-man could possibly play this fall. We are working through multiple scenarios when it comes to the threat. The urban areas are much more affected than rural. That being said, to say that young people are not affected is a misnomer. I know of several kids who have been hospitalized in this current wave. Two have been within hours of being placed on a ventilator. Also, the camp my kids attend has also been flush with kids being sent home with COVID after testing positive in the first session. None hospitalized, but high fevers, which is not good.

It is about hospitalizations at this point. Again areas are different. Here are the hospitalization numbers.

Abilene - on April 8 had 9 hospitalizations, on 6/22, they had 1. Yesterday they reported 10... not much change.

Lubbock - on 4/8 had 25. On 6/22 they reported 22. Yesterday they reported 72.

DFW - on 4/8 579. On 6/22 988, then yesterday 1411.

Houston - 4/8 495, On 6/22 1185, yesterday they reported 2139!

Austin - 45 on 4/8. 205 on 6/22 and 404 yesterday

Amarillo - 9, 23, and 25. Not much change.

Wichita Falls - 8, 2 and 11.

As of today, it is estimated that 141 counties have less than 25 active cases and 15 have OVER 1000 active cases. As long as it stays out of the rural areas, I believe six-man can be played, but there is a risk. Obviously it is different for private schools, located in cities which have more cases.

If we want to argue that the state's numbers are not accurate, then I would agree, because of a lack of testing, etc, but these numbers are the lower bounds.

Those numbers aren't good granger. Question for ya granger, whats the percentage of people over 65 living in the average six man town these days? You've been all over Texas for the last 30 years watching the game so you'd have a fairly good idea I hope. :)

I don't see the UIL shutting down some schools but not others. I'm afraid it'll be an all or nothing approach. I'm not sure how many schools would play an outlaw schedule with nothing at stake. Hopefully the TEA will give us some guidance some time soon.

Holloway: I agree, its gonna be an all or nothing unfortunately for small towns that play 6 man. The risk in Follett or Fort Davis is almost zero but in the large cities like Houston or Dallas the numbers keep going up and up :(

What happens if we never get a vaccine? Sure, there are many in the works, just as there were for Aids. Would things stay canceled forever?

granger":3pmwvj6n said:
I will start by saying that I think six-man could possibly play this fall. We are working through multiple scenarios when it comes to the threat. The urban areas are much more affected than rural. That being said, to say that young people are not affected is a misnomer. I know of several kids who have been hospitalized in this current wave. Two have been within hours of being placed on a ventilator. Also, the camp my kids attend has also been flush with kids being sent home with COVID after testing positive in the first session. None hospitalized, but high fevers, which is not good.

It is about hospitalizations at this point. Again areas are different. Here are the hospitalization numbers.
O
Abilene - on April 8 had 9 hospitalizations, on 6/22, they had 1. Yesterday they reported 10... not much change.

Lubbock - on 4/8 had 25. On 6/22 they reported 22. Yesterday they reported 72.

DFW - on 4/8 579. On 6/22 988, then yesterday 1411.

Houston - 4/8 495, On 6/22 1185, yesterday they reported 2139!

Austin - 45 on 4/8. 205 on 6/22 and 404 yesterday

Amarillo - 9, 23, and 25. Not much change.

Wichita Falls - 8, 2 and 11.

As of today, it is estimated that 141 counties have less than 25 active cases and 15 have OVER 1000 active cases. As long as it stays out of the rural areas, I believe six-man can be played, but there is a risk. Obviously it is different for private schools, located in cities which have more cases.

If we want to argue that the state's numbers are not accurate, then I would agree, because of a lack of testing, etc, but these numbers are the lower bounds.

Granger Stats, comments ;
I was born in 1949. In 1952 -1954 the polio epidemic in the US was at its height and infected roughly 60,000 children, as it was primarily a childhood disease. Over the course of about 3 years 15,000 children died. So what, You say.
The population of the US was 1/3 of what it is today, so multiply those numbers by 3 and you get roughly 180,000 kids infected and 45,000 dead kids. This doesn’t count the thousands of children left with various degrees of paralysis.
I went to see my cousin who was in an “iron lung” in the hospital. We saw his head sticking out of a tube. We were standing outside of the hospital looking through a layer of glass, a hallway and another layer of glass. Within 2 years a vaccine was developed and polio disappeared from the US. The Rotary Clubs in the US united and polio basically disappeared from the world.
Think about this in terms of YOUR children. Are you willing to sacrifice ONE OF YOUR KIDS for High School sports?
I’ve already lost a child. My vote is NO SPORTS, MINIMIZE CONTACT develop the best practices to prevent the spread until a vaccine is found.
I’m sure some of you will disagree with me, but please tell me which one OF YOUR KIDS you are willing to sacrifice on the ALTER OF HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS.
So Granger, which of your kids will YOU sacrifice?
Having just been notified of a Covid death in our family this afternoon, I believe I have the right to ask the question.
My opinion, no sports, no high risk interactions of any kind until a vaccine is found.
“THE KIDS LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN.
If I hurt someone’s feelings I’m not sorry, if I made someone realize what a real threat this is, I’m ok with that.

Gosh darn it... once again I am agreeing with FCSA.... no lives lost are worth football. If there is way to play the game without loss of life, then by all means!! But lets say a player from Follett (ONLY AN EXAMPLE) brings home covid to his grandmother and she passes on because of it, then no, playing is not worth it.

Not wanting to come across as noncaring but are we talking about lockdown like last few months of Spring or going to school? We have got to get back to school. We are taking a risk every time we go around someone. If a kid goes to school they stand a chance to be contagious. They can take it to grandparents, small chid next door, or anyone they go around. I’m so sorry for anyone that has lost someone from this awful disease or any reason. I’m 75 years old and my Dr. told me to wear a mask, use common sense, and have fun. That’s what I plan to do if there is a game I can get to and there usually is. I think the UIL will go alone with what the State says to do. Don’t have much choice. The schools will follow the lead of the State and UIL. That’s my opinion and that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee in some places. God bless our kids, schools, state, and everyone.

oldfolks":38dchwhz said:
Not wanting to come across as noncaring but are we talking about lockdown like last few months of Spring or going to school? We have got to get back to school. We are taking a risk every time we go around someone. If a kid goes to school they stand a chance to be contagious. They can take it to grandparents, small chid next door, or anyone they go around. I’m so sorry for anyone that has lost someone from this awful disease or any reason. I’m 75 years old and my Dr. told me to wear a mask, use common sense, and have fun. That’s what I plan to do if there is a game I can get to and there usually is. I think the UIL will go alone with what the State says to do. Don’t have much choice. The schools will follow the lead of the State and UIL. That’s my opinion and that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee in some places. God bless our kids, schools, state, and everyone.
I agree with you. Every day when we get up there is a risk that something bad to can happen. We cannot control every factor in our lives to ensure safety. We can attempt to but let's be realistic. Our children and grandchildren will always be active and interact and whether is under the auspices of the UIL or not. Guess we can lay a guilt trip on them to stay in house in front of the computer or TV, but over time they will do what they want. You haven't raised any children if you haven't noticed that human trait of independence. Every one is on the same page as for safety and protecting lives, just don't squash the human spirit in the process.

My frustration level is slowly rising. I keep hearing over many talk shows and news outlets that this spike that we are experiencing has come from Memorial day. Well maybe so. But when will we have the spike from those....(insert your own adjective)...protesters and rioters? I keep hearing that there is a two week turn around from exposure to having the virus. So will the Memorial day spike just blend into the rioter spike and just make it bigger? That would be convenient for most news outlets, that way they won't have to blame anything on those............protesters and rioters.

I haven't brought this up simply because I hoped it wouldn't come to it, but maybe it's an idea worth considering now. The NBA is supposed to restart a new season where every game will be played in Orlando, FL with the players living there without contact from the outside world.

While this might be an expensive concept for most high schools, sixman football is full of rural and isolated communities. Maybe the entire sixman season should occur over a month or two with every game played somewhere like Sanderson without fans? It may not work, but it would be hard to find a better venue.

Assuming that the average sixman school would field 12 players and 3 coaches x2 teams= 30 travelers into a town such as Sanderson with a population of 800, do you really think the small town would welcome these “outsiders” during these uncertain times? There is nothing of benefit for the communities. No gate, no concessions, etc.
Good to think outside the box but you must remember that football does not mean the same thing to everyone.

It is my understanding that UIL has sent a letter to all schools for a vote on changing the 2020-21 football schedule. The proposal is to have Baseball and Track start in August with the Baseball Championships in early November (Maybe late Oct). Then have Football start around Jan 15. The State Championships would be the first week of June.
This is from a coach at a 5A school and he said it would apply to ALL Schools. I did see an article in an Austin paper that some of the Austin area coaches were discussing this idea.
Has anyone heard anything about this. Any thoughts?

I’ve heard similar scenarios.
I’ve also heard a comparison that likens
A fall schedule to Russian Roulette, just with
A little better odds.
Quien Sabe Tonto ?

Oh my Gosh ! I said Tonto !
The Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs
PC Police will get me now!
Sorry Lone Ranger !
Aghhhhhhh........,,,

What would be the point of flipping sports? How would football be any more dangerous than lining kids up 3 feet apart and sending them down the track? Plus you have dozens of kids at track meets. COVID-19 is a respiratory issue not a skin contact issue. I haven’t heard anything about UIL sending out any letters but the TEA is liable to have the final word on whether any sports are played this year. I just hope and pray a vaccine becomes available soon!

Back