What's With God's Schools??

Coach Bear":f5n0s9sw said:
If I could make a point on this topic before it got out of hand with the childish bashing of one another, I used to agree with the idea that privates were below public, but I feel compelled to give my opinion. This is my first year in a private school setting and I have found that with my knowledge of six man and my commitment to to the sport itself, in many schools, yes, the level of competition is lower than public. But from what Ive seen is that there are good athletes, but the problem is with coaching. A lot of privates (not all) will hire guys that know nothing about the game. They tend to try and run offenses based off of 11 man playbooks "ripped in half" they have said. I've seen coaches try and run flag football spread with 5 on the line keeping the QB from being live. Honestly, you have to examine the coaches who are running these squads that aren't up to par. Personally, the group I have right now are talented and want to compete. But having to un-teach bad habits on and off the field is a frustrating thing. When I took the job I had the same mentality, but I can honestly say this is one of the most talented groups I've ever had. Im very happy with my boys.

I agree. I went from being an 11-man assistant coach at a public school to being a head 6-man coach at a private school, and to be completely honest, I knew NOTHING about six-man football except what C.H. Underwood said in his book. My first year I tried to run "ripped in half" 11-man plays and defensive schemes, and needless to say we got thumped every Friday. You talk about a humbling experience! However, I've tried and continue to try to learn as much as I can each year, and although this is no substitute for actually working under a good six-man coach, I believe we have made tremendous progress as a private school program as a result. My school and myself have a LONG way to go, but my goal is to make us competitive against ANY school we play.

Rain I believe the top sixman football teams are still public, but that number is droping fast. I believe there are about 5 to 7 private schools that can play with any public schools out side of the top 10, and with that top 10, 2 or 3, would fall as well. saying that I have been around for a long time and can tell you that some of the top private programs are going to keep geting better and pushing for that respect. high point scrimaged the number 19 team this year and they couldnt even get a first down. againist High point. The days that public school kids are tougher or stronger are gone live with it. Last year High point beat Fannidal 94 to 46. In my years of coaching I have played 6 public schools and have won 4 of those games. You need to get your facts before you make your point.

In summary, after this exhaustive thread, the top few public schools are a bit (or more) ahead of the top private schools. The public schools have a bit more depth, too. After that, however, it drops off rapidly on both accounts.

Public or Private,
It still goes back to the cyclic
nature of team dynamics.
The ebb and flow could go either way
every other year or so.
One is not better than the other
all the time.

(But, my team is still better than yours)

Dogface":1bu4d8ct said:
Public or Private,
It still goes back to the cyclic
nature of team dynamics.
The ebb and flow could go either way
every other year or so.
One is not better than the other
all the time.

(But, my team is still better than yours)

Year over year - publics will beat privates. Top privates will still beat the bottom ranked publics - but top to bottom - an 11th ranked public will beat the 11th ranked private, a 20th ranked public will beat a 20th ranked private, etc.

This hasn't changed much over the last couple of decades. I'm not so sure that it won't in the future, though. What with small towns withering on the vine, and private schools growing like weeds, the turn around is inevitable.

Funny thing this public vs private. We have tossed around moving our kick-off classic to settle this argument. We have thought about doing a week 1 public vs private. And I would like to personally invite you Mr. Rainman. Take some of your public and private schools and play each other. Any thoughts or input???

i wonder if you even played football , you must not have to disrespect private 6man like their existence is in vain. sixman is changing and getting bigger every year. times are changing so u might want to get used to private school's being compared to ur precious public school as long as private schools are stroking larger schools

pojocrusader":45yft2l8 said:
i wonder if you even played football , you must not have to disrespect private 6man like their existence is in vain. sixman is changing and getting bigger every year. times are changing so u might want to get used to private school's being compared to ur precious public school as long as private schools are stroking larger schools

And this post dispels the myth that a better education is available at a private school. It is called punctuation and capitalization.

oldfat&bald":dlrpphh5 said:
pojocrusader":dlrpphh5 said:

And this post dispels the myth that a better education is available at a private school. It is called punctuation and capitalization.

thank you for the corrections ill use spell check for u next time fat man

pojocrusader":2bc8w4wt said:

I'm not really sure who you are talking to or, for that matter, what you are even saying. What does one's playing or not playing football have to do with the price of tea in China?

Listen

Everything you want to know about some (note I said some) of these private schools is what's going on over in Athens. Coaches, mommies and daddies get tired of losing so they recruit players.

Someone turns them in. Realizing they are going to be declared ineligible, so they become independent. Behind the big facade of "people just hate losing to a 1-8 team" is that Christian ethic "we don’t have to play by anyone’s rules. We are the Righteous.”

Most private schools are ok. A few are outstanding. Some are just fly-by-night establishments headed by megalomaniacs and their disciples.

CowboyP":wuayblno said:
devils advocate":wuayblno said:
Some are just fly-by-night establishments headed by megalomaniacs and their disciples.
When did rainjack start a private school?

My greatness was not cultivated to bring praise and honor to myself. Why teach people to be as great as I am when everyone knows that none of them will ever be able to measure up?

No, the great rainjack exists for the sole purpose of enraging the masses. The simple man needs something to hate, and I am their huckleberry.

pojocrusader":2fkncmay said:

sixman is changing and getting bigger every year. times are changing so u might want to get used to private school's being compared to ur precious public school as long as private schools are recruiting larger schools

Just couldn't resist. I slapped my own hand though. This 3rd grader is entitled to their own opinion, but the precious part didn't sit too well with me.

I'm late to this party but Man I want in on this one!

Rainjacktx you sure have picked a great topic!

When I was in school we played 2 public schools one was the most foul mouthed school I ever played against (and we played Novice and Loraine...had to get that jab in there...all in good fun), and the other was Happy Hill Academy who were very nice and we talked with a lot after the game.

Also the Christian school had 8th graders playing on the team....

I am baffled by how private schools think they are equal to, or better than, the public ones...maybe 5 out of the 100+ private schools can compete or even beat SOME the best 25 public school teams...but not the top 2-5 public school teams...and how does the other 95% fair...they get creamed by ALL public schools...(PS: I'm being a little over dramatic here...but you get my point..I'm sure some of the worst private schools can beat some of the worst public schools)

plus has anyone mentioned the bad wrap private schools have with public school coaches because when a public school does schedule one they seem to have a tenancy to back out the week of the game and leave the public school scrambling to fill the spot...maybe this doesn't happen a lot but it has happened enough that I know coaches who will not even try to schedule a private school because that's happened to them in the past...bottom line they think private schools are unreliable.

And who know the team may have 8th graders or sophomores in college playing on the team...that's another issue.

There's some more fuel to the fire!

Back