What happened to Whit?

JSwann

11-man fan
When I was in high school we played Whitharral my junior year (2001) and they were dominant. Just looked over some scores from the last couple years and wow. What happened to them?

It's hard to get a dynasty run going in six-man football when you're at the mercy of district realignment and the kids that go to your school system. Sometimes you get a great run of good kids, maybe even a family with a number of boys in a row that really add to your program. Other times the coaches just have to do their best with the talent they are given to try to coach them up to the best of their natural ability and remember that it's not all about winning and losing on the field but teaching the players to be better men when the graduate.

Stripes said:
It's hard to get a dynasty run going in six-man football when you're at the mercy of district realignment and the kids that go to your school system. Sometimes you get a great run of good kids, maybe even a family with a number of boys in a row that really add to your program. Other times the coaches just have to do their best with the talent they are given to try to coach them up to the best of their natural ability and remember that it's not all about winning and losing on the field but teaching the players to be better men when the graduate.[/quote]
Well said.
Why don't more real coaches
actually coach that way?

Unfortunately, administrators and school boards often don't look at the quality of the young men as they leave the program. That's impossible to measure with numbers. Wins and losses, however, can be measured instantly.

It's a fine line for coaches to walk.

Stripes":2gz0jl11 said:
Unfortunately, administrators and school boards often don't look at the quality of the young men as they leave the program. That's impossible to measure with numbers. Wins and losses, however, can be measured instantly.

Not measurable?
Sure it is.

If a FB star goes out after HS
and gets into trouble,
then he didn't learn anything from FB.
FB, the way it was done, added no real value to his life.

If he goes out and starts a business
or graduates from college
then it did.
Simple.

Dogface":1vamiqhf said:
Stripes":1vamiqhf said:

Not measurable?
Sure it is.

and gets into trouble,

then it did.
Simple.

I think you're wrong. It's an individual responsibility - not some mystical power imbued upon a kid by football coach.

I would rank football somewhere behind God, family, and personal responsibility.

rainjacktx":39933uyn said:
Dogface":39933uyn said:
Stripes":39933uyn said:

Not measurable?
Sure it is.

and gets into trouble,

then it did.
Simple.

I think you're wrong. It's an individual responsibility - not some mystical power imbued upon a kid by football coach.

I would rank football somewhere behind God, family, and personal responsibility.
True enough.
Nothing mystical about football.
I rank it a little further back myself!
And, I didn't mean to put the whole burden
on the coach
for some teenage boy's actions.
I just struggle with a personal coaching philosophy
that flies in the face of current trends.
While winning is most assuredly more FUN,
it's rarely, IMHO, the BEST measure of success.
Just one of many to choose from.
Just like school, in general,
is just one tool used to develope
a student's strong sense of personal responsibility.

(I hope that made more sense.)

Bringing it back to Whitharral, I've always enjoyed Coach Avery's teams when I've encountered them and found them to be good young men being taught to do things the right way.

the boys spend more time in the basketball gym than on the football field. thats ok we got a group of jr boys that range in height from a 6'6" a couple of 6'3"s and a couple of 6'1"s and a 5'6". maybe we traded cleats for hightops?

phenom":qg614s02 said:
the boys spend more time in the basketball gym than on the football field. thats ok we got a group of jr boys that range in height from a 6'6" a couple of 6'3"s and a couple of 6'1"s and a 5'6". maybe we traded cleats for hightops?

Your girls hoops ain't too shabby, either.

Stripes":37caw5u2 said:
Other times the coaches just have to do their best with the talent they are given

Yeah, I've heard that crap from coaches before, and I've seen good athletic young men who had the desire to be successful on the football field denied that opportunity because of the incompetence of adults involved.

Johnny Cash":2jynjcxg said:
Stripes":2jynjcxg said:
Other times the coaches just have to do their best with the talent they are given

Yeah, I've heard that crap from coaches before, and I've seen good athletic young men who had the desire to be successful on the football field denied that opportunity because of the incompetence of adults involved.
There may be some coaches that try to blame their incompotence on lack of talent, but the majority of the time it is a lack of talent. There are many kids with the desire to be great, but few have the ability to be.

I'm not talking about GREAT, I'm just talking about being competetive! Like blocking, tackling, going to the whistle, giving effort every play, having a positive mindset, being prepared, being a team player, doing your best no matter what your opponent or team-mate is doing, digging in root hog or die! NOT "well our boys did good, they played hard" on Friday night when all they have been made to do is JACK on the practice field all week. Then going "ofer" for the season when they could have been much, much, better.....

CowboyP":tioecndc said:
There are many kids with the desire to be great, but few have the ability to be.

Thats just straight up B.S. right there. Granted not all are gifted in the way of a Dwayne Miles or a T.E., but are you telling me a bunch of hard working farm and ranch kids that go 5-5 and have been made to work hard and have been pushed and gave their absolute best game after game are not just as worthy as those who are more athletically gifted? How about those kids who went 0-10, was it their fault?

Johnny Cash":23qunqmt said:
CowboyP":23qunqmt said:
There are many kids with the desire to be great, but few have the ability to be.

Thats just straight up B.S. right there. Granted not all are gifted in the way of a Dwayne Miles or a T.E., but are you telling me a bunch of hard working farm and ranch kids that go 5-5 and have been made to work hard and have been pushed and gave their absolute best game after game are not just as worthy as those who are more athletically gifted? How about those kids who went 0-10, was it their fault?
I didn't put any kids down or say they weren't worthy. I was simply pointing out that desire isn't the same as ability. I have nothing but respect for the kids that work their tails off in practice and give 100% in every game. I don't care if they win or lose. Their refusal to quit is what impresses me.

Johnny Cash":1gyand3c said:
I'm not talking about GREAT, I'm just talking about being competetive! Like blocking, tackling, going to the whistle, giving effort every play, having a positive mindset, being prepared, being a team player, doing your best no matter what your opponent or team-mate is doing, digging in root hog or die! NOT "well our boys did good, they played hard" on Friday night when all they have been made to do is JACK on the practice field all week. Then going "ofer" for the season when they could have been much, much, better.....
Wow Jonny,
there's just too much there to address.
Have some wine.

Dogface":1vz7kpyf said:
Johnny Cash":1vz7kpyf said:
Wow Jonny,
there's just too much there to address.
Have some wine.

Don't you mean WHINE?

Back