Week 2 Big Game: Calvert at Coolidge

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Week 2 Big Game
DII Calvert (1-0) @ DI Coolidge (1-0) – Friday Sept. 8 7:30pm

My big game this week is out east. Battle of the Big C’s…DII Calvert vs DI Coolidge.

Both teams opened up with easy wins in week 1; Calvert beating San Marcos Hill Country Christian 66-36 and Coolidge beating Rockwall Heritage 45-0. The Coolidge win in my eyes is much more impressive, given that they not only 45ed them, but shutout a perineal private school team in Rockwall Heritage.

In the preseason, I was buying stock in Coolidge and selling in Calvert, mainly due to what the teams were returning from last season. Week one showed me nothing that would make me change my mind and I like Coolidge in this game, even though they will be coming in as a 16-point underdog. The Yellow Jackets’ sophomore sensation running back Torrey Hoover, who rushed for 172 yards, 5 touchdowns on 12 carries last week against Rockwall Heritage, will be the player to watch and his play will likely dictate how the game will play out.

Calvert is in what many would consider a rebuilding year, as they return only two starters on both offense and defense and have a brand, new coaching staff to boot. How their game will play out may hinge on the performance of running back Coylin Grimes, as he tried to fill the void left after All-State utility back Jaquan Thompson graduated last spring. How their game will play out may hinge on the performances of running backs Coylin Grimes and James Green as they tried to fill the void left after All-State utility back Jaquan Thompson graduated last spring. In last week’s win, Green threw for 129 yards and rushed for 85 yards with 3 TDs, while Grimes carried the ball five times for 51 yards and two TDs.

Coolidge has only beat Calvert twice since the Trojans have been in the six-man ranks; both times in 1999, with Calvert holding a 6-2 record in the series since their inaugural six-man season in 1998. The schools have amazingly not played each other since 2007, when Calvert triumphed by a score of 51-6.

The Key to Victory: It will be the play of the secondary for both teams. Both Calvert and Coolidge possess explosive speed, so whichever team can make the touchdown saving tackles in open field will win this game. I think Coolidge’s superback Hoover will give the Trojan defense fits all night and late in the game stamina may become an issue for their secondary. I think Coolidge wears them down and pulls away late for their first win against Calvert since their 1999, 66-33 Bi-District win.

I kinda think Jonesboro vs Milford would be the best game in the East.

Calverts athleticism will be too much for Coolidge in the open field.
2 losses for Calvert will be Borden County, Richland Springs

I agree... the game that I will be looking at first and foremost will be Jonesboro vs Milford. Beyond that.. I think you are just trying too hard to look at playoff underdogs. Though I am also a bit interested in Crowell v. Gordon ;)

Leman Saunders":3bwty9ni said:
Maybe so...I think the Calvert v Coolidge game is more intriguing and will be a closer game than Milford v Jonesboro
I'll second that. Winner of Milford v Jonesboro will win by more than 20

Torrey Hoover is indeed a superback! He has the size and speed to take over a game at any time. He also has the weapons around him in Acevedo and Brown that will allow the Jackets to score at will. The question will be can Calverts young athletes match the speed of coolidge and be able to make open field tackles all 4 quarters.
I pick coolidge +8

The Milford Vs Jonesboro game could be another instant classic. Jonesboro has had Milfords number three years in a row countering Milfords speed with brute force on both sides of the ball. Ta'Ron Smith is going to have to be on his A game tomorrow night and he is gonna need help from Thompson and McIntyre to protect the ball and make big plays. Things could go sideways for the bulldogs if Jonesboro makes this a nasty physical game.
I pick Milford +2

I have seen both teams on films. Hoover is a super stud and is for real. Coach Ware will have those boys ready to play believe that. I don't know anything about the coaching staff at Calvert. Calvert( #3 and #4, #21) is athletic as always, but a very undersized team for what I saw on film this week. This will be a good game, but I think the edge goes to Coolidge if they can play within themselves and tackle in the open field. Easy said than done for sure. Signing off.

a very good competitive 34-32 halftime game got out of hand and ended up being 74-38 final. KOODOS to Calvert on a good win.

Calvert still has athletes (22, 3, 1, 4) and once they get the ball in space they are dangerous. Number 4 puts the ball on the money and their receivers makes plays. 15 and 24 in my opinion were the defensive guys who were in on about every tackle.

I thought Coolidge played great ball control throughout the 1st half and the death for Coolidge was the (guessing the amount) 12-19 fumbled snaps from QB / Center and I believe Coolidge lost 6 of them to go along with one interception.

From the stands looking in, The QB's and Center play HAS TO improve or Coolidge won't win another game.
I also noticed 21 J Brown was out and he is a difference maker, but was told he comes back on Monday.
If he can come back healthy and in shape, he will be a great dual attack to go along with Hoover and Coolidge should have back the 1 - 2 punch in the backfield and Brown should solidify the strong side DE play which Calvert exploited several times on the strong side pitch/run.

For a Coolidge person looking at the game and Calvert dominated the 2nd half but this game was actually closer than the final, you can't put the ball on the ground 19 times and expect to beat anybody.

Good luck jackets and I'll try and make the homecoming game.

Coolidge fumbles and Benson on defense made the difference here. I really think Coolidge is gonna be a great team just had a lot of turnovers on those snap fumbles. Anyhow, Calvert had reloaded and really has a great team.

Calvert, was explosive on offense spreading the ball around to #1, and #22. Coolidge for the most part relied heavily on #10. Defensively Calvert #15 was dominant. Calvert and Coolidge both played inspired football.

Back