2018 Week 6 Game of the Week - Coolidge v Calvert

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Week 6 Game of the Week

Coolidge (4-0) @ Calvert (4-0)

The Battle of the C’s out east. Top rated DI Coolidge is traveling this week to take on top rated DII Calvert.

Coolidge opened the season up with a thrashing of Zephyr 59-0, which happens to be the Bulldogs only loss on the season, but since then there has been much of a challenge in the way of matchups for the Yellowjackets. Last week they blew past McDade 56-0 and I’m sure they will be eager to finally get a competitive game under their belts this week. Offensively Coolidge is led by Jordan Brown, who has 447 yards and 12 TDs rushing while passing for 214 more yards, and Skyler Hayes who has chipped in 211 yards, 3 TDs on the ground and 193 yards through the air. Defensively Jason Miller leads the team in tackles with 37 followed closely by Colton Carter (36) and Hayes (32). Hayes has picked off 5 passes as well.

Calvert won a very tight game 46-35 against a divisional ranked foe in Oakwood last week, and logged a good win over the solid private school program Fort Worth THESA in week two 47-20. Offensively the Trojans are led by James Green who has passed for 728 yards and 10 touchdowns and ran for 347 more yards and 8 touchdowns. Greens favorite targets have been Matthew Steamer who has hauled in 15 passes for 230 yards and four TDs, and Tre’Quinton Green who has 11 catches, 159 yards, and three touchdowns receiving. Defensively Derrick Stewart paces Calvert with 42 tackles and four forced fumbles, while Darrius Brooks is not far behind him with 41 tackles and three forced fumbles.

Keys to the Game and My Thoughts:
Defensive keys are the key to victory here. Calvert is going to have to contain Hayes and also keep a sharp eye out for Brown. Coolidge is going to have to maintain their coverage in the secondary and bottle up James Green when he tries to take off. As in any game turnovers will be key!

This game might come down to who has the best supporting cast and who’s defense can stand up to the pressure the best. Both teams have more than one weapon at their disposal that’s for sure, but I think Calvert has a core of receivers that will give Coolidge fits when James Green pulls back to pass. I expect the Trojans speed on the defensive line to also be a big factor tonight. Calvert coming off a big win in a tight game against a top rated team last week I think makes them just a little more prepared for tonight’s game and helps the Trojans stay undefeated on the season.
Calvert 64 Coolidge 54

Nice work Leman,

But not so fast, Coolidge wins this one because Coolidge Offensive Line will be TOO much for Calvert to handle.
Hayes and Brown will bare the benefits of the OL all night and give the trojans fits.
Yes Calvert loses a home game

Coolidge 71
Calvert 36

Coolidge passes their first BIG test on their march to Jerry World where they will beat McLean

Back