Week 0 "upsets"

51eleven

Six-man expert
I should review the rankings and spreads before rambling here butttt.....
I'm afraid the toy may regurgitate this week when Granger feeds it. I know there are upsets every week and it seems like even more in week 0 but this could be a monkey wrench in the hard drive.
I keep up with 1/2 to a dozen various teams at least some what each year in addition to the "top" ones and pretend to be no expert but this seems a bit more than usual. Tell me where I'm wrong.
May 76 RS 52. Maybe not all that unexpected with what they lost and their youth but the end of a historic run. A new one may start next week.
Waco Live Oak 72 -0 over Cherokee.
Newcastle over BC.
Lingleville 64, Rising Star 40. Not a surprise to me. Go Card's.
Lometa 72, Stephenville Faith 26.
The 1st 3 games in Hico today. Not because of who won but all 3 were 45's.
I've read DC may be the best in 6m this year. We will never know. Gordon lost a lot (Cherry, Allen, King etc.) and the whole coaching thing but I did not expect this.
Valley over Abbott 71-22. Abbott lost some too but as a consistent winner/power that went to state last year I didn't see this one coming either.
And my Hounds. Taking nothing away from Ira,I know they are a better team than what I saw today. We were up 16-14 12 way thru the 1st then boom. They could have give up at the half but hung on another 1/4. some fella with spiked orange hair told me he thinks the new Morris could be better than the old. Not as shifty but just as fast and a more aggressive hitter. I know Strawn has speed but when he hits the corner/open field look out. That same fella confided he has the Hounds picked to win. I still think they could be there in December.
What other games do you consider upsets?

I saw the first 2 games at HICO and all I can say is that Covenant and Valley will straight up bring it. I did not see these as much of an upset though. We all know how good Valley is and last year Covenant beat both Throck and Valley with only 2 seniors. From what I say today, you better button your helmet on when you play either one of these...they are loaded.

Newcastle over BC is not an upset. Guess its made an upset because BC was put in the top 20 when they should have been put around 50 or lower.

Rochelle win was an upset to me...I swang and missed on Marfa, Strawn, Savoy and really missed on all 3.

But the Newcastle game was no upset to anyone in the know, I guess would be how you would put that...and a computer would be one of those

After playing Milford, took team to Hico to watch DC and great six man teams.

Things we took away from Hico:

DC dominated Gordon. Matter of time for 45. Same as our state championship game, very conservative offense, but why not. Gordon did not stop them once, period. DC even had great passing game. May have completed every pass, though threw less than ten times. At least three passing TDs, long. Great passes DC throwers. Really respect DC football program. Thanks for raising level of private school football.

Hico volunteers are awesome. Great venue, great games, great people. Please invite Boerne Geneva next year.

Abbott. Absolutely huge players. We were leaving and strayed to the practice field to see how big Abbott was. They had two boys over 260, one was 6'5" Had at least 6 boys over 6'1" and 170. Had several more boys over 200 lbs. We figured they would roll over Valley. We had to leave to get our boys home and saw Valley ended up 45ing Abbott. Wow! Congrats Valley. That was one big Abbott team.

Best Oak tree making a difference in a field. Our boys moved from stands at 100+ to shade at 80 with a breeze and they didnt want to leave. Great venue.

Hamilton has a great Mexican fiood place, El Jardin. We had a great meal and checked out the Hamilton Dove Fest afterwards. Good times.

Proud of private school showings. Great job DC, Live Oak, Geneva, Veritas, ACHS. Milford was class act in our game. Could have gone either way,. Everyone on our side was talking about #5 for Milford...man among boys and a great kid. All of our coaches loved this kid. Solid leader after the game. Wishing you and your team the best Milford.

Ira vs Strawn

You say upset I say realization :) I did meet some fine folks from Strawn today who had nothing but great things to say about the Ira Bulldogs and likewise from me. Its great to meet new people from the Sixman Community. I still see Strawn representing the East which will be fine by me! It was a wonderful HOT day in beautiful Hico.

Back