UT-recruiting

Blue Bird

Six-man pro
I was reading an article today in the Star-Telegram about how well Coach Barnes and his staff had recruited nation wide this year. The article went on to say that Barnes had recruited AAU in the past, but would no longer even look at a player if his coach was in/associated with AAU. I don't have a clue what AAU is. Would someone please enlighten me.

Amateur Athletic Union. It is basically select basketball. These kids play basketball in the spring and summer all over the place. Some teams stay in the area and some travel state to state to play. A local AAU team in the area is Texas Express. They have boys and girls teams. I coached with Express last year and we have coaches from all over the metroplex coaching. Most coaches give scholarships to kids off these teams instead of their high school teams. AAU is good, but alot of organization are forming club teams. For example my brother-n-law plays club for G2Score. He has been the pg on varsity at Grapevine for the last three years. On his club he has teammates from Manfield Summit, Colleyville Heritage, Arlington Sam Houston, Dallas Parish Episcopal, Arlington Bowie, Cedar Hill, Lewisville, Duncanville, and Mansfield Legacy. The kids all start for their high school teams and are very solid. They enter tourneys in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nevada, Oregon and etc.. Coaches can really get a look at a kid. Honestly he would have never gotten a true look without club especially at Grapevine. Not trying to be mean.

Back