UIL to meet on Veribest offseason workouts

Again, this was not the UIL that set the punishment, it was the DEC. The UIL found no new information in the appeal and saw that the DEC had enforced the rulebook legally.

Now, did the punishment fit the crime? probably not.

Another thought that was never brought up... why didn't Veribest defend themselves by stating they were concerned about student safety? A new head coach running a staff that was his equals less than 24 hours before, none of whom had been in charge of the offense. Yes, there's the wanting to win element, but student safety could be argued as well. This was the fourth head coach these kids were going to have in 6 months.

The bottom line here is that Veribest was very unorganized during this process, from the day of the response to the DEC to the appeal. They also supposedly have video of their gym that could have shown was actually done during that time... unfortunately the system was down. They also needed to get that timeline down and tight. They had to have known every minute was going to be scrutinized.

I also think Dr. Breithaupt made a good point that everything they wanted to accomplish could have been done within the appropriate time, if they had been organized and really thought it through.

pistol":36wxndkv said:
It’s not against uil rules to change coaches middle of the season.. it is against uil/tea rules to pull from classes for practice
So your last statement makes absolutely no sense

I disagree with the verb "to pull" being used in that context.

Granger, you are probably right about Veribest being unorganized. Then again, Robert Lee could have won the football outright and all of our discussion would be a moot point. It is what it is at this point, there is nothing anyone can do about it, and it does not affect me at all. I do sympathize with the kids at Veribest, however. Someone failed them, other than the fired coach, whether it was the DEC, UIL, Veribest administration, or someone or something else. I think everyone in this thread can agree on that.

PS. I hope the fired Veribest Coach is a history teacher because he's going to know what it's like to be Benedict Arnold.

Back