UIL DI week 10 breakdown

Shad Kline

Six-man fan
Region 1
District 1
Happy and McLean have both clinched playoff spots coming out of this district. Happy has done so by scoring 178 points and only giving up 8 in 3 games. McLean has surpised everyone (except maybe the people from McLean) with two huge upset wins over Nazareth and Miami. Happy and McLean, both 3-0 in district play, will square off Friday 7:30 @ McLean for the District championship. Happy is a 45 point favorite by both the Guru's and my rankings, but McLean hasn't really followed that script lately. Miami, having already played 10 games, gets to start basketball this week. Nazareth and Hart, both 0-3 in district, will play to see who can climb out of the bottom of the pile.

District 2
Valley, 3-0 is your district 2 champion, they play the 0-3 Kress team @ Kress. The game of the week will be the Spur @ Paducah game for 2nd place and a playoff spot. The site spread has Paducah by 22, I have them by 29. Loser of that game is done for the year. Petersburg will be starting basketball this week as their bye is week 10. It is mathematically possible, however unlikely, that Valley will share the district championship with the Spur/Paducah winner if they were to lose to Kress, but will still go to the playoffs as the district winner.

District 3
Whiteface @ Anton for the district championship. Both 3-0 going into the final game, and they have both clinched a playoff spot. This game will decide which spot. Website has Anton by 11, I have Anton by 14. The other 3 teams, Ropes 2-2, Meadow 0-3, and Lubbock Harmony 0-3 have been eliminated. Ropes is done for the year, Meadow and Lubbock Harmony will play for the 4th position in the district.

District 4
BC has locked up this district with wins over Grady and Klondike, they will take on 0-2 O'Donnell this week. Grady and Klondike, both 1-1 will play @ Klondike for the district runner-up and the playoff berth. The Guru has Grady by 18, I have em by 25.

Region 2
District 5
Rankin @ Garden City. This game is for the district championship and decides who goes which direction in the bracket. Both have powerful, high scoring offenses and very stingy defenses. It could be really good. Granger has GC picked by 22, Ive got GC by 35. Marfa and Ft Davis will play this week for 3rd place.

District 6
Water Valley travels to Sterling City for the Dist Championship. Both teams are in, both are 3-0 in district. WV is the 45 point favorite by both rankings. Eden took 3rd in this district. Paint Rock and Veribest are on the schedule to play this week, and will decide between 4th and 5th.

District 7
Ira, currently #1 in the state. Ira has clinched the district title, and shouldn’t have a hard time finishing it off against Rotan at home. Highland and Hermleigh will face off in Highland on Thursday for 2nd place and the other playoff spot. Winner get Crowell, loser gets a basketball. Higland is the favorite, Granger has em by 18, I got em by 27.

District 8
Crowell has wrapped up the #1 spot in this district with wins over both Knox City and Throckmorton. They will take on Bryson this week and will likely finish the district 4-0. Knox City will travel to Throckmorton and try to upset the Greyhounds to take the 2nd playoff spot away from last years state champions. The Guru picks The Rock by 35, close enough….. I got em by 36.

Region 3
District 9
The most competitive district in the state, top to bottom. Starting from the bottom, last years regional qualifier and ranked at #24 in Div I, Santa Anna gets 5th, not winning any district games and starts basketball this week due to a bye in week 10. Rochelle, last years unlucky dog, getting left out of the playoffs due to a coin toss when they, along with Santa Anna and Zephyr finished in a 3 way tie, plays Zephyr for 3rd place. Last years 4th and 5th place teams, May and Lometa will square off in Lometa to decide 1st and 2nd. Grainger has May by 30, I think it will be closer, but still May, by 9.

District 10
Lingleville @ Gordon for the district title. Both have clinched a playoff spot and neither want to be 2nd in this district. Gordon by 18 according to the official spread, I got em by 12. Evant and Gustine will play for 3rd place.

District 11
Blum has won the district, Covington has been eliminated. They will play this Friday @ Covington. Now for the one that matters, Walnut Springs will travel to Kopperl for the 2nd place game and that coveted playoff spot. The Guru says WS by 45 and I agree.

District 12
The only 3 team district in Div I. Saint Jo has finished their district schedule, both games, at 1-1. Savoy will play Irving Universal Academy and as long as they take care of business, will finish at 2-0 and be the district champs with Saint Jo as the 2nd place team. If for whatever reason, Irving wins, then we are looking at a 3 way tie with every team in the district winning district. You figure it out. I’m just gonna go with the spreads and say Savoy wins big. We both got Savoy winning by 45.

Region 4
District 13
Abbott, last years state representative from the East has clinched the playoffs, along with Aquilla. They will play this week to determine who gets the trophy and who goes as the 2nd place team to the playoffs. Abbott is the 24 point favorite in my data table, while the Guru has em by 20. It’s a rivalry game, so anything could happen. Avalon and Bynum will play for 3rd place.

District 14
Buckholts holds the key. A win this week at home against Mt. Calm will lock up the district championship. Losing to them could open up a can of worms. Lots of scenarios. If Buckholts wins and Coolidge wins (against Penelope), Buckholts will take 1st, Coolidge 2nd. If Buckholts wins and Coolidge loses, Buckholts 1st, 3 way tie for 2nd. If Buckholts loses and Coolidge wins, 3 way tie for 1st. If Buckholts loses and Coolidge loses, Mount Calm will take first and Buckholts will take 2nd. Spreads – Buckholts by 45, both rankings. Coolidge by 45, both rankings.

District 15
Fannindel is locked in as the district champs, and they are off this week. The 2nd place spot is up for grabs. Campbell will play Leverett’s Chapel and can clinch second with a win. A Leverett’s Chapel win however complicates things. If LC wins, and Fruitvale beats Bloomburg as expected, there will be a 3 way tie for 2nd between Campbell, Leverett’s Chapel and Fruitvale. If LC wins and Bloomburg wins, then LC will slide into the 2nd place spot. The spread on the Campbell/LC game is Campbell by 26 for the Guru and by 16 from my toy.

District 16
Chester and High Island have been eliminated from playoff contention and will play this week for 3rd place. Oakwood and Apple Spring will be in Apple Srings this Friday night for the district championship. Grainger has Oakwood by 32, I have them by 26.

hornkeeper12":2psh0nm5 said:
Region 2
District 5
Garden City @ Rankin. This game is for the district championship and decides who goes which direction in the bracket. Both have powerful, high scoring offenses and very stingy defenses. It could be really good. Granger has GC picked by 22, Ive got GC by 35. Marfa and Ft Elliott will play this week for 3rd place.

I appreciate the breakdown hornkeeper12; very comprehensive. Only one correction - Marfa and Ft. Davis will play for 3rd place this week. If Ft. Elliott was in that district there would be a lot of driving. :)

WV Backer":1zlos64e said:
hornkeeper12":1zlos64e said:
Region 2
District 5
Garden City @ Rankin. This game is for the district championship and decides who goes which direction in the bracket. Both have powerful, high scoring offenses and very stingy defenses. It could be really good. Granger has GC picked by 22, Ive got GC by 35. Marfa and Ft Elliott will play this week for 3rd place.

I appreciate the breakdown hornkeeper12; very comprehensive. Only one correction - Marfa and Ft. Davis will play for 3rd place this week. If Ft. Elliott was in that district there would be a lot of driving. :)
Yep, good catch, also fixed location for gc rankin.

District 15 is not as complicated as it looks. Due to Campbell beating Fruitvale by 8 and Fruitvale only beating LC by 4 that gives them a -4 score. If all three teams end up in a three way tie it will come down to the point system and Fruitvale is set at -4. Campbell is a +8 but is missing the LC score. LC is sitting at -4 as well but is missing the Campbell score. What all this means is Fruitvale will not make the playoffs this year. So basically if Campbell wins they are in... if they loss LC would have to win by 7, if they win by 6 they would be tied by points as well.

hornkeeper12":kdu3afwn said:
Region 4
District 13
Abbott, last years state representative from the East has clinched the playoffs, along with Aquilla. They will play this week to determine who gets the trophy and who goes as the 2nd place team to the playoffs. Abbott is the 24 point favorite in my data table, while the Guru has em by 20. It’s a rivalry game, so anything could happen. Avalon and Bynum will play for 3rd place.

District 14
Buckholts holds the key. A win this week at home against Mt. Calm will lock up the district championship. Losing to them could open up a can of worms. Lots of scenarios. If Buckholts wins and Coolidge wins (against Penelope), Buckholts will take 1st, Coolidge 2nd. If Buckholts wins and Coolidge loses, Buckholts 1st, 3 way tie for 2nd. If Buckholts loses and Coolidge wins, 3 way tie for 1st. If Buckholts loses and Coolidge loses, Mount Calm will take first and Buckholts will take 2nd. Spreads – Buckholts by 45, both rankings. Coolidge by 45, both rankings.

District 15
Fannindel is locked in as the district champs, and they are off this week. The 2nd place spot is up for grabs. Campbell will play Leverett’s Chapel and can clinch second with a win. A Leverett’s Chapel win however complicates things. If LC wins, and Fruitvale beats Bloomburg as expected, there will be a 3 way tie for 2nd between Campbell, Leverett’s Chapel and Fruitvale. If LC wins and Bloomburg wins, then LC will slide into the 2nd place spot. The spread on the Campbell/LC game is Campbell by 26 for the Guru and by 16 from my toy.

District 16
Chester and High Island have been eliminated from playoff contention and will play this week for 3rd place. Oakwood and Apple Spring will be in Apple Srings this Friday night for the district championship. Grainger has Oakwood by 32, I have them by 26.

6newbie":1xuqitrg said:
District 15 is not as complicated as it looks. Due to Campbell beating Fruitvale by 8 and Fruitvale only beating LC by 4 that gives them a -4 score. If all three teams end up in a three way tie it will come down to the point system and Fruitvale is set at -4. Campbell is a +8 but is missing the LC score. LC is sitting at -4 as well but is missing the Campbell score. What all this means is Fruitvale will not make the playoffs this year. So basically if Campbell wins they are in... if they loss LC would have to win by 7, if they win by 6 they would be tied by points as well.

hornkeeper12":1xuqitrg said:
Region 4
District 13

District 14

District 15

District 16
Yeah, not complicated at all. Thanks for clearing that up.

On a different note, has anyone seen my slide rule?

Back