Touchback

freeagent

Six-man pro
I understand the touchback line (kickoff, punt out of endzone) moved from the 20 to the 25 yard line for crowded field football.

Yet, I seem to remember or had heard that the 20 yard set remained for 6 man football.

Last Friday, we had (for the first time this year) the crew put the ball at the 25. They discussed it and I was pretty certain that the ball should have been placed at the 20. Since I wasn't wearing a striped shirt, I lost the argument.

So, I figure I'd check the rule book on line ....

here's the closest I can find in the UIL manual http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics ... nual12.pdf (page 117)

7. Unless relocated by penalty, the kicking team’s restraining line on a kickoff is the 30 yard line on a
six-man field and the 20 yard line for a free kick after safety. The receiving team’s free kick restraining line is 15
yards from the point of kickoff. There is no requirement to have a minimum number of players on either side
of the kicker. If the result of a Free Kick is a touchback for Team B and the placement of the ball is not relocated
by penalty, the ball will next be put into play from Team B’s 20 yard line.

The TAPPS manual is a little clearer http://tapps.net/PDF/Constitution/Athle ... ion163.pdf

14. The team whose goal line is involved shall put the ball in play by a snap on their 20 yardline after a touchback and by a kick-off or punt on their 20 yardline after a safety. After a safety, the ball must go at least 15 yards or be touched by the receiving team before members of the kicking team are eligible to touch it. Receiving team must have at least 3 players between the 35 and 40 yard lines of the kicking team.

But I've been wrong on football rules before ... what's the ruling on touchbacks in six-man? 20 or 25?

Its the 20. A couple weeks ago we had a ref spot a touchback at the 25 and after a reminder from the coach, and a quick check from the other officials, he remembered that it is indeed an exception for 6-man. He probably just didn't like you.

lifegatesports":15oyi118 said:
After a safety, the ball must go at least 15 yards or be touched by the receiving team before members of the kicking team are eligible to touch it. Receiving team must have at least 3 players between the 35 and 40 yard lines of the kicking team.[/i]

But I've been wrong on football rules before ... what's the ruling on touchbacks in six-man? 20 or 25?

The 20 is correct. One correction to your post. The bolded part in your post should be 30 and 35. 35 and 40 would put the receiving team offside.

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, that was a particularly surly crew we had Friday night. Heard after the game they scammed burgers not only from me, but from the game administrator.

I did get back at them. I gave them orange gatorade to drink. We have a hard time selling that flavor at the concessions stand.

Back