Top 5 underrated teams

david9h":1t2pgpdr said:
If you suit up 30 kids, you need to be playing 11 Man

We suit up 22 of the 31 boys in high school, but have 8 seniors and only one 8th grader coming up next year; so we'll be dressing 15 next season. This is why you don't make the jump unless you have stability in every grade. We only have four total kids in the 4th grade; but have 22 in the 11th grade. Even though my numbers look great right now; we'll never move up with only 57 total students in the high school. This is exactly what happened to Gause. They moved up to 11 man and they had to cancel their season when injuries and graduation happened.

I think too many fans jump to conclusions when they look at the sideline on a Friday night and see a ton of kids standing on the sidelines. The worst thing that you can do to a program is make them switch back and forth between the two brands of football.

The UIL gives us a cutoff number. If you have below 100 students in high school you can play Six-Man. You don't. Have to. IT IS A CHOICE.

Don Hardin
Abilene

I agree. I wasn't bad mouthing Turkey Valley at all. I think it's great they suit up thirty kids. I was just stating every year they seem to have a lot of kids on the sideline. And Valley always puts in a JV team and gets Freshman games too. They aren't crushing teams from numbers purely. They are EXTREMELY well coached, and have great athletes.

A lot of times the number on the sidelines is the result of tradition, if you have developed a winning team you find more students are willing to come out and play and numbers make it so much easier to win . . .

fajitapete":1k4xyw14 said:
A lot of times the number on the sidelines is the result of tradition, if you have developed a winning team you find more students are willing to come out and play and numbers make it so much easier to win . . .
Spoken like the wise old sage that you are......................

smokeyjoe53":h33nj03x said:
fajitapete":h33nj03x said:
From one antique to another.

CowboyP":16lv4a4p said:
smokeyjoe53":16lv4a4p said:
fajitapete":16lv4a4p said:
From one antique to another.

Does "antique" mean "old fart?"

I am new to six-man, but not football. I saw Dallas Covenant beat T-Mort @their place, beat Valley at Home and lose to Abbott at the HICO deal. I will say that allin, I have to give it to Throckmorton. They are EXCELLENT. Covenant scored 24 points with 5 minutes left to beat them by 4. Throckmorton played great but just made a couple of big mistakes in the end. They have a fantastic balanced offense both passing and running.

Abbott is also EXCELLENT. It was Covenant's first game and they were maybe a little intimidated at first and spotted Abbott something like 18 points in just the first few minutes and then made a very good game of it. Not to take ANYTHING away from Abbott. There offense was able to run against Covenant and no one else has been able to do that as well. They have great blocking schemes with 2 really good running backs.

Dallas Covenant played Valley at home in a constant rain on a fantastic artificial turf. In my opinion only, I DO NOT speak for Covenant, it would have probably been higher scoring. The wet field negated Covnenant's UNREAL speed. On a dry field I think it would have been a track meet for Covenant.

So, I say I will be surprised if Throckmorton does not win state in their division...I saw Ira and Gordon at HICO and Strawn in a scrimmage and I don't think they hang with any of the three teams above...Again, just my opinion....

Sounds like Throck already has it sealed up, I don't think so. One thing in Sixman, it's not over until it's over. Crazy things happen on Friday (or Sat) night! Don't over-look Ira, WV, BC, Pete, Valley, Crowell and others because they are going to have something to say :)

Now, how about those Buckholts Badgers? The beat Bastrop Tribe handily. They improve with every game. According to Maxpreps.com, they are number four in the state in total offense and number four in the state in number of tackles. It is not like they haven't played a difficult schedule as theirs has been one of the toughest. My questions is why don't the rankings reflect this?

Sounds like Jonesboro and Follett may be slightly underrated per both their performances last night. Not sure of details but just an observation. Jayton deserves a little discussion as well.

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":2jt3hikf said:
I agree. I wasn't bad mouthing Turkey Valley at all. I think it's great they suit up thirty kids. I was just stating every year they seem to have a lot of kids on the sideline. And Valley always puts in a JV team and gets Freshman games too. They aren't crushing teams from numbers purely. They are EXTREMELY well coached, and have great athletes.

was told that some turned in only part of there students, i think the number was 97 and they didntcout some girls that are students as well,,, had a man from out west say he knew that they told certain kids not to show up

Sorry about all your injuries and your loss. Good luck to you in future games. It is my understanding that there were many bad calls on both sides, and that Buckholts was the victim of as many bad calls or more than the Tribe was. You have to realize that Buckholts has played strong against some of the top teams in the state. It was certainly no disgrace to lose to them, and even with the extra eighteen points that were called back, it would have still been a loss. Most of the players on Buckholts played both ways the entire game, just as the players on the Tribe. The players on the Tribe team way outsized the Buckholts players, but that has been a fact in all the games Buckholts has played. The Tribe played hard and well. I hope that you can enter your next game, and all the rest of your games with all your players intact. God bless.

I typically don't get involved with game break downs, especially when it's an opposing coach talking to a fan. But the hit on the player who was injured was neither dirty, nor "unnecesssary". Tribe was in a pistol formation and the up-back tried to block for the runner. I'm very sorry he was injured on the play and have prayed for him every day since his injury. But to even bring it up as though it was not an unfortunate incident is bordering on disrespectful to both players. Tribe's player lowered his helmet to block, my player lowered his helmet to take on the block and move on to the player with the ball. There was nothing dirty about the play, just an unfortunate outcome for the injured player. Wasn't called helmet-to-helmet contact for the same reason it wasn't called five plays earlier, when Tribe's #7 knocked the snot out of my running back (#9) on the sweep pass. 100% helmet-to-helmet; but when the offensive player lowers their head before contact; there's nothing the defensive player can do. #9 got hit hard and was taken off the field. Fortunately returning a few plays later, but no mention from our sidelines on the "necessity" of the hit by Tribe's defense.

I don't want any of my statements to take away from the heart shown on the field by Tribe players. They came in injured and were suffering from cramps in the game. We walked away from this game with a great deal of respect for your players. I'm just not used to defending a 25 point win and the integrity of my players. I do sincerely apologize to the players, from both sides, who are reading this forum.

Coach Satcher,

My post before was not intended to bring any kind of judgment on your player.

I should have never tried to defend my team on a coaches blog.

Blessings on your season!

Agreed and apologize this happened in a public forum. We sure appreciated the opportunity to come to your place and play such a well disciplined team. We wish you the very best of luck in the future and continue to pray for God's healing touch on your players and a speedy recovery to those injured.

In reference to Valley suiting up 30. Last year we had to play 6th graders in junior high, and may have to again next year. I think our reported high school number was between 72 and 82. Three years ago our senior class was almost all girls. This year the senior class is almost all boys. I promise you good coaching, winning tradition, and supportive administration is why we have so many kids come out every year. Having the jv, allows lots of kids to play, who may have dropped out of some programs. This in turn provides kids the opportunity to improve and the team depth needed to compete year end and year out. Which in turn keeps kids playing. What a vicious cycle.

Back