Tioga Forfeits at Half Because of Bad Officiating???

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
From the Scoreboard Forum:
The score that was posted was a halftime score - the Tioga staff stated they had issues with the officiating, Tioga left the game at halftime and did not report for the start of the 3rd Qtr.

I'm just wondering how horrible the refs had to be to get the Tioga coaches to ruin the evening for their own kids.

Tioga may have trouble getting officials for the rest of the season. I know they would if they pulled a stunt like that around here.

due to this incident, I can see UIL making 25 more UIL COACHES COMPLIANCE QUESTIONS for UIL Coaches because of this stupid move by a coach.

2 choices were obvious here and the coach could've said at halftime:

1 - look guys, things aren't going our way, officiating isn't the greatest, and in life there will be obstacles present itself at any time that will not be great or in your favor. Tonight is one of those moments where things aren't going your way, BUT WE ARE GONNA GO BACK OUT ONTO THE FIELD AND COMPETE. LET'S TAKE THE TIOGA VS. THE WORLD MENTALITY AND GO OUT THERE AND COMPETE.

OR

2 - look guys, the officiating is bad so we are going to act like America is acting now, SPOILED AND NOT GETTING OUR WAY, so we are gonna pout and go home.

and it's obvious they chose option 2

I HOPE UIL SLAMS TIOGA ISD FROM UIL PLAYOFFS AND MAKES THEM FORFEIT ALL GAMES BECAUSE IF TIOGA ISN'T HARSHLY PUNISHED, OTHER TEAMS WILL START TO DO IT.

And what was he thinking anyway? Okay guys we're not liking how the officiating is going so we're gonna head on home....maybe we'll get better officials next time...or we'll just keep quitting until we get the officials we like????? If I was a player on that team I'd be pissed! That's a horrible example to set for your players, we don't like how this is going so we're just gonna pack it in. Hopefully there's another side to this story that doesn't make this look as bad (maybe player safety being a reason?) but quitting a game at half is not a good look.

The assumption is that they used TASO officials. UIL may not care if they agreed to non sanctioned officials. Regardless, it a classless move on Tioga's part and was a shining example of bad sportsmanship by 'adults'.

I would say that the reason for the forfeit was as much about player safety than anything. Tioga fans were not upset with the decision of the coach. Speculating is dangerous, y'all should wait to hear more before commenting. You had to be there.

rainjacktx":3hwh2ent said:
The assumption is that they used TASO officials. UIL may not care if they agreed to non sanctioned officials. Regardless, it a classless move on Tioga's part and was a shining example of bad sportsmanship by 'adults'.

It is correct that they were TASO officials.

I would agree...too much is unknown at the moment to make harsh judgments...
But Ive never heard of this happening before...Granger might be able to tell us if he knows of any

Quitting at half time and blaming the officiating will not go over well with either the UIL, or Tioga's home TASO chapter, regardless.

This just to prove my point from the first week of the clas that the Tioga coaching staff exhibited by not shaking hands with opposing players. Irregardless of the circumstances there will be a severe penalty given to Tioga (could probably care less its last year in six man ) and UIL foes not look favorably on such actions. What goes around has come around

Posted by WayneAlldredge in the Score Central thread

Confirmation from THESA AD ==

Rec'd an email from THESA AD confirming that TIOGA was forfeited at half "citing that the TASO ref crew was cheating them and that their players were gonna get hurt".

Doesn't look good for Tioga coaches, or the people defending them.

rainjacktx":d77qkk3r said:
Posted by WayneAlldredge in the Score Central thread

Confirmation from THESA AD ==

Rec'd an email from THESA AD confirming that TIOGA was forfeited at half "citing that the TASO ref crew was cheating them and that their players were gonna get hurt".

So, what's new. Officials are frequently biased, and players get hurt (usually not seriously) if they play the game long enough. Accept it and do what you can with what you have.

Johnny South":1ldq8v5v said:
So, what's new. Officials are frequently biased, and players get hurt (usually not seriously) if they play the game long enough. Accept it and do what you can with what you have.

This is how most coaches deal with bad refs. Generally if an official is not very good, he's going to be equally bad for both sides. I've never seen a "biased" ref. Most usually the perceived bias is a result of fans/coaches who are utterly clueless about the rules. Especially junior high mothers. They are by far the worst.

BuffaloCountry":2czdzes3 said:
I want to hear the story of the events that unfolded by somebody neutral who was there.

It would be nice if there was film of the game. Unfortunately, without the film, you probably won't get a neutral version of the story.

I can'tt think that there are any circumstances other than a serious crime that warrants a forfeiture by a coach once a game starts it is understood that the officials good or bad are accepted and will be used the entire game. It's also understood that there are officials that are horrendous and have no place in officiating but coaches have avenues to check them out prior to playing so it's coaches fault for failure to do so. it's a travesty that athletes are subject to those in officiating authority who misrepresent authority by being inept. But it's a no brainer that once you start you got to finish and by forfeit you just probably got penalized by UIL ANYWHERE from forfeiting games played to forfeiting the season and anywhere from a 1-2-3 year probation and or suspension from post season. The UIL frowns very seriously on this behavior especially from coaches who had avenues to check out the officiating crew prior to game. If you couldn't agree on officials prior to game They could've been assigned by the UIL. But it's not a surprise given the coaches interaction the first game of the year

Crew could've been from the stands it makes no difference by starting the game with them you agree they are competent and then use them the entire game unless they are injured

Back