Thoughts on this?

I think we need more details before we come up with a thought. If the coach actually gave kids Rhabdo, then he deserves to be fired and never able to work with kids again. However, if it was just pushups and kids were just sore and overprotective parents just took their kids to the hospital then coach is getting hosed. I think we need all the facts. Either an awful, uneducated, unsafe coach or a case of vindictive parents and defiant entitled kids. A lousy situation for one party either way.

I think we need more details before we come up with a thought. If the coach actually gave kids Rhabdo, then he deserves to be fired and never able to work with kids again. However, if it was just pushups and kids were just sore and overprotective parents just took their kids to the hospital then coach is getting hosed. I think we need all the facts. Either an awful, uneducated, unsafe coach or a case of vindictive parents and defiant entitled kids. A lousy situation for one party either way.
Maybe on the surface, it's as simple as "blame the coach" or "entitled kids", but believe me when I say this, our world as we know has been in a 10 - 20 year major shift; especially in the education and coaching profession. I could go into an endless political diatribe why / what I think made that happen, but even still, politics isn't really the root of it. That happened in 1962.

My first thought is how possible is that...not if it is a good or bad punishment.

If someone on our team broke rules they had to run miles...most extreme was 50 miles due before being allowed back on varsity...granted no time limit but if you wanted back asap you had to run 50 miles asap...so 300 pushups in an hour might not be as bad as 50 miles in 5-7 days (time in-between games)...but we aint living in he 1990s anymore either.

No he shouldnt be put on leave or get fired for this IMO

Not only do we not know all the details, we don't know the truthfulness of the reporting. The school had not commented when the story broke, just "little Johnnies" mom reporting her son had to be hospitalized and "reporters" standing outside a medical facility talking about what she told them. Then they dug up some doctors to comment on the possible dangers of such exercise. But these "journalists" are reporting "facts" without confirmation of the school district. Maybe things are exa ctly as originally reported but even if that's the case the news media took it upon themselves to blast this "story" all over the airwaves in effect convicting this coach in the media without comment from the district. I know other details have come out in the last 3 days since the initial report but they chose to run the story without all the facts were known, and we still don't know all the facts.

My nephew is a Senior running back at Heath. My brother in law, says that the coach did nothing wrong and from his perspective, the kids were out of shape. That may have some merit since it happened just after the Christmas break.

I am certain that the 300 push up routine on a Friday in offseason has been done before by that coach or by coaches he has worked for. I am sure that when I was in basic training in 1987, 300 reps in an hour was common.

It is a fact that 4 kids were hospitalized, however. Something that should be asked is did these students ever have COVID or the vaccine? If so, there is some evidence of long term impacts at the cellular level from the virus and or vaccine. Could it be possible that combined with being out of shape just after the holidays along with cells that are already compromised contributed to this situation?

And yes I agree with others here that our educational system has changed. Teachers and coaches have way too many new requirements from new laws, Plus, they are now dealing with an entitled society with parents and children that have very little resilience.

Back