Thoughts on Coach Lee to aquilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people always need a new challenge or project. More power to them. And, more power to them if they get more money. We should all try to achieve our best regardless of what field we work in and if someone wants to pay us more for those efforts, would you turn them down? Just an opinion.

Aquilla has real good group of 8th graders that remind me of the group we had at Covington in the 90s with Blue Willis.

Looking at Aquilla's record the last three years Coach Lee has no where to go but up. Grab the popcorn, this will be interesting. Abbott has dominated that district for years. Coolidge has been good. Future district reliagnments might help.

Lee has been successful everywhere he's been. He achieved the pinnacle at Strawn and his 18 year record there is phenomenal. If Aquilla supports his program and his methods they will achieve great things.

Strawn population 653, Aquilla 110. Smaller talent pool. No pac a sac much less Mary's. A 1-10 team vs a state semi finalist, 3 points from state. Poised for another run. I guess money talks. Where did Aquilla get it that Strawn doesn't have?

I think it depends on how "success" is defined to be honest. Will Aquilla have a better record next year? I am going to say probably. Will Aquilla make the playoffs next year? I am going to say maybe. Will Aquilla win the state championship next year? I am going to say no.

Beyond the next few years, however, it comes down to factors outside Coach Lee's control (assuming he stays at Aquilla for a while:) how much athletic development will the junior high and elementary kids at Aquilla undergo in relation to kids at other sixman schools? Puberty is outside of anyone's control.

My prediction: Coach Lee will definitely make Aquilla better but will win less than 3 state rings in the next 18 years.

No doubt that Aquilla will improve with Coach Lee. The challenge will be winning some games but not getting out of district with the competition of Blum and Abbott. I don't see Blum and Abbott being less competitive.

Coach Lee has obviously done a great job at Strawn. Most of the time a coach leaves because the talent level is falling off or more money (retirement is based on highest 3 years or 5 years based on when you began). I'm not sure about the talent coming at Strawn, but it's probably dropping off from what it has been if he is leaving honestly. I heard he got a huge raise, so I'm sure that is part of it as well.

Bluecat98":33ut9t94 said:
Coach Lee has obviously done a great job at Strawn. Most of the time a coach leaves because the talent level is falling off or more money (retirement is based on highest 3 years or 5 years based on when you began). I'm not sure about the talent coming at Strawn, but it's probably dropping off from what it has been if he is leaving honestly. I heard he got a huge raise, so I'm sure that is part of it as well.

I hope he did get a big raise too, no matter what he was making. Along with Coaches Cervantes and Eli, Mrs. Lee (Director of Girls Athletics), and Mrs. Cervantes (Jr. Hi and HS Math teacher). But I don't see how. Aqullia is a farming community with a population of 110. Not a lot of tax payers in the district. Or businesses (?). The school, a church, the post office, a seed company. No store/place to by gas (?), no cafe/restaurant (?). Just from what I can tell on line, been within 15 miles or so but not there. Maybe one well heeled patron is all that's needed. IDK.

Regarding talent. Unless key players quit I thought this years team had the Potential to go back to state. Unless some did quit it is they who I feel sorry for in all of this.

According to the Texas Tribune, Aquilla ISD had a student population of over 330 students in 2019-2020, while Strawn had a student population of roughly half that 161. Must be a lot of farmers plowing out in the hinterland. More students and more potential football players and did I mention potential? Coach Lee and some of the staff had been at Strawn 18 years . Taking advantage of his fifteen minutes of fame? May be it was time to move on and a new start and pay bump looked appealing?? Life happens. I'm more curious on who Strawn will hire to lead their program?

Texlonghorn75":k6oluy14 said:
According to the Texas Tribune, Aquilla ISD had a student population of over 330 students in 2019-2020, while Strawn had a student population of roughly half that 161. Must be a lot of farmers plowing out in the hinterland. More students and more potential football players and did I mention potential? Coach Lee and some of the staff had been at Strawn 18 years . Taking advantage of his fifteen minutes of fame? May be it was time to move on and a new start and pay bump looked appealing?? Life happens. I'm more curious on who Strawn will hire to lead their program?

Wife's watching Texas 6 again. 1st episode, 40 in school total. 12 Seniors last year, 4 in the first grade. Look's like Strawn is shrinking. Can't blame Coach(e's) and families.

But how does Aquillia have a student population of 330? If so how are they playing sixman?

A town population of 110 in a farming community. Are they running busses from Hillsboro and Whitney? Like Brookesmith does to stay alive.

330 students, spread evenly through 12 grades suggest they should be playing 11 man.

51eleven":13gfnphq said:
Texlonghorn75":13gfnphq said:

Wife's watching Texas 6 again. 1st episode, 40 in school total. 12 Seniors last year, 4 in the first grade. Look's like Strawn is shrinking. Can't blame Coach(e's) and families.

But how does Aquillia have a student population of 330? If so how are they playing sixman?

A town population of 110 in a farming community. Are they running busses from Hillsboro and Whitney? Like Brookesmith does to stay alive.

330 students, spread evenly through 12 grades suggest they should be playing 11 man.

You did the math wrong. It would be spread acroos 14 grades when you include PK, K. That gives you roughly 23 kids per class. 23X4= 92. 12 kids under the 11-man cutoff numbers.

Those 40 students mentioned at Strawn were in high school, not the entire school enrollment. Texas Tribune listed Strawn enrollment at 161 in 2019-2020. Yes, it appears like the numbers are declining again but that is what happens in small communities. It goes in cycles. Even Richland Springs(118 students in 2019-2020) has struggled with student numbers. Where that leads to in the future we can all guess. At some point in time those low student numbers lead to a less competitive football team. We can look at Paint Creek, Guthrie, Harold, Benjamin and last if not least Marathon as what happens with low numbers.

Gordon, Strawn, Lingleville and Bluff Dale need to encourage students from Lipan and Huckaby to transfer over to play football. It is short sighted not to allow students the opportunity to play football when they have easily more than enough to support basketball and football. Brock recently added 11man football and promptly won a state championship. Likewise Peaster has started their football program. Both schools were die hard basketball only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back