The Tough Years

Box Dad

11-man fan
I saw Houston Texas Christian finish there season (according to the schedule on this sight) last night. They had a tough season. I want to thank them and let them know that we appreciate them.
I am also thinking about the teams that dropped out this season, that hurts us as a Division. I would hope that any team that has dropped or is thinking of dropping would reconsider. Maybe we (parents and coaches) shoot an email to the beaten teams in your district to thank them or to the ones that dropped saying that you hope they come back next year. Encouragement goes a long way.
On the field I want to see someone hit so hard that stuffing comes out of the other guys jersey. Confucius say: Football is like Build A Bear, the making of the bear is just as meaningful as the playing with the bear.
I feel like a sappy woman writing this, I think I almost cried as I thought of my daughter picking her unstuffed,wilty shell of a bear, and turning it into a real (you know what I mean) bear.
What a great opportunity for our kids to be able to play football in a small school.

Well, perhaps with the exception of Brenham Christian, most of us will have tough years. Our friends at Houston Texas Christian will regroup and be competitive again. I was told earlier this year that Bellville Faith plans to be back on the field next season.

Even D1 powerhouse Greenville Christian has to win their last game to make the playoffs.

Had a chat while I was driving through Salado the other day with Bryan about how our district stayed pretty close to its 8 teams (New Life had to drop just because of injuries during the season, but they had all freshmen and sophomores and had a pretty decent junior high team this year). What we did was invite those new schools to plan to play district.

Since there were several new schools, we pointed out that you'd be in a district with at least a few schools in their first or second year of football. That means you only have to worry about scheduling three or four non-district games and you can be somewhat selective in those games -- scheduling schools where you can be competitive. Sure, you'll have a couple tough games in district, but that's a part of playing the game. But if you go independent, you have 8 or 9 games you have to find and sometimes it's an issue of who you can schedule as opposed to who you would like to schedule.

At least one or two of the eight teams in our district decided to compete this year beacuse of that thought process.

Have your district leaders talk to those schools and coaches about coming back to play next year.

Thats Great to hear the Bellville is getting back in the game. They have nice facilities and a good JR High team, with a couple of really good players.

Box Dad":19pw1kt3 said:
Thats Great to hear the Bellville is getting back in the game. They have nice facilities and a good JR High team, with a couple of really good players.

Orange Community Christian is also starting 6 man next year. Try and get them into your district.

I looked at a map briefly, and those guys are out there. 2 more minutes and your eating gumbo in LA. Brazosport should be looking to get back in too.

Box Dad":1r6l9w2h said:
I looked at a map briefly, and those guys are out there. 2 more minutes and your eating gumbo in LA. Brazosport should be looking to get back in too.

Brazosport has D1 numbers; Orange is about D2 numbers.

Im happy for schools to add a program but hope Orange Christian doesnt hahaha.... that school is pretty much in Louisiana!!! bad news for that district... Drive about 3 hrs maybe a 4 to 5 hr drive for brenham.. for a district game!!! I can understand the drive if its for a playoff game but i dont think anyone in that district will be happy to have to drive that far

Could play neutral with the eventual goal of there being a D2 district for the east side of Houston. Stinks more for them, 1 game for a team to travel to, 5 for them. More kids playing ball is good!

Back