The amount of first round games predicted to end by mercy rule is staggering

Didnt the state of Texas implement a law having more teams make the playoffs to generate more revenue to school, then Gov Perry in 2014 tried or did reduce the number of teams.

Didnt the state of Texas implement a law having more teams make the playoffs to generate more revenue to school, then Gov Perry in 2014 tried or did reduce the number of teams.
More teams? But only two teams per district get to go to the playoffs. That is half as many as other classes..

But with several 3 team districts, 2 playoff teams is more than enough...
I just looked through Division I and II and see all districts have 4, 5, or 6 teams. Edit: I did see one 3 team district, so I stand corrected there.

Even then, if the majority (I'm not going to go count them all) of districts have 5 teams, then 2/5 teams make the playoffs. 2/5 = 40%. I went through 2A and 3A and it seems the majority have 7 team districts. If 4 make the playoffs, that gives you 4/7. 4/7 = 57%. If you are looking through a lens of trying to keep everything even, they either need to increase 1a playoff teams, or, decrease the rest, because on initial look, it is way harder to make the playoffs, from a percentage standpoint, in 1A football.

I just looked through Division I and II and see all districts have 4, 5, or 6 teams. Edit: I did see one 3 team district, so I stand corrected there.

Even then, if the majority (I'm not going to go count them all) of districts have 5 teams, then 2/5 teams make the playoffs. 2/5 = 40%. I went through 2A and 3A and it seems the majority have 7 team districts. If 4 make the playoffs, that gives you 4/7. 4/7 = 57%. If you are looking through a lens of trying to keep everything even, they either need to increase 1a playoff teams, or, decrease the rest, because on initial look, it is way harder to make the playoffs, from a percentage standpoint, in 1A football.
75 DI, 69 DII, 145 1A schools. A quick glance at DCTF tells me 2A - 6A have about 140 schools in each of the 2 Divisions. Looking like it's about the same percentage to make playoffs.
32/75 in 1A D1, 42%
64/132 in 5A D1, 48%

75 DI, 69 DII, 145 1A schools. A quick glance at DCTF tells me 2A - 6A have about 140 schools in each of the 2 Divisions. Looking like it's about the same percentage to make playoffs.
32/75 in 1A D1, 42%
64/132 in 5A D1, 48%

As luck would have it you chose the division with the most schools, by far. So for arguments sake, then, let's look at every UIL division. I'm strictly going off of the UIL alignment documents.

- 1A D1 has 16 districts and 75 schools, so 32/75 = 43%
- 1A D2 has 16 districts and 75 schools, so 32/72 = 44%*
* take out 3 teams for teams that maybe don't have enough players in any given year...32/69 = 46%

- 2A D1 has 16 districts and 105 schools, so 64/105 = 61%
- 2A D2 has 16 districts and 98 schools, so 64/98 = 65%

- 3A D1 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/104 = 62%
- 3A D2 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/101 = 63%

- 4A D1 has 16 districts and 99 schools, so 64/99 = 65%
- 4A D2 has 16 districts and 93 schools, so 64/93 = 69%

- 5A D1 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/132 = 48%
- 5A D2 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/119 = 54%

- 6A has 32 districts and 249 schools, so 128/249 = 51%

Statistically, 4A is the class to be in if you want the best chance to make the playoffs. The class you don't want to be in if you want the best chance to make the playoffs: 1A.

Maybe the answer is to design more competitive districts. There are districts that the last place team would destroy the district winners in some of these districts. I don't know for sure, but I feel that there has to be a better way.

Have 8 districts in each division and take the top 4. You’ll get the best teams and those pretenders who win 8-9 games a year because they scheduled the worst teams they could find will be 5th or 6th in the district.
Do you really believe a coach goes out looking for weak teams to play.
Realignment is every 2 years. 3 to 5 of their games are preset by the UIL districts.
Coaches then make a 2 year agreement with other coaches filling out their non-district openings. Now their are some coaches that don't want to have their team 45ed at halftime so they avoid the power house teams.
The power house teams then have to fill their schedule with whoever will play them.
Their are already coaches on here asking for games next year.

Do you really believe a coach goes out looking for weak teams to play.
Realignment is every 2 years. 3 to 5 of their games are preset by the UIL districts.
Coaches then make a 2 year agreement with other coaches filling out their non-district openings. Now their are some coaches that don't want to have their team 45ed at halftime so they avoid the power house teams.
The power house teams then have to fill their schedule with whoever will play them.
Their are already coaches on here asking for games next year.
I agree with what you are saying and I think there is plenty of evidence to support this.

That being said I do find the idea of keeping the two divisions and having 8 districts, rather than 16, with 8 to 9 teams in each district interesting. Taking the top four to the playoffs keeps the same amount of teams in the playoffs and keeps the amount of playoff games the same.

I also don't think that will happen, but still interesting to think about the possibilities.

Have 8 districts in each division and take the top 4. You’ll get the best teams and those pretenders who win 8-9 games a year because they scheduled the worst teams they could find will be 5th or 6th in the district.
I agree that the districts should be combined to make 8 districts in each division, then take 4 to the playoffs.

I do not agree that most coaches purposely schedule weak teams just for the W. There may be some. My belief is that most coaches try to schedule non-District teams who will be competitive without overwhelming the team that they are expecting to field two years out. A coach who thinks he may have a good little group for the next couple of years but only with 10 or 12 kids, doesn’t really want to schedule several powerhouse teams with 25 big powerful players and take a chance of getting a couple injured and completely blow his chance at the playoffs. The administration also has a say in the scheduling as far as travel and expenses are concerned. But, teams from successful programs will begin to encounter resistance in scheduling and will begin having to either take whoever they can get or have several open dates on their schedule.

By combining districts to make 8 or so teams per district, will almost totally simplify the scheduling problems. They will only have to find 2 or 3 games.
Then, it will be pretty darn difficult to accuse the coach of ”soft” scheduling with only 2 non-District games.

As luck would have it you chose the division with the most schools, by far. So for arguments sake, then, let's look at every UIL division. I'm strictly going off of the UIL alignment documents.

- 1A D1 has 16 districts and 75 schools, so 32/75 = 43%
- 1A D2 has 16 districts and 75 schools, so 32/72 = 44%*
* take out 3 teams for teams that maybe don't have enough players in any given year...32/69 = 46%

- 2A D1 has 16 districts and 105 schools, so 64/105 = 61%
- 2A D2 has 16 districts and 98 schools, so 64/98 = 65%

- 3A D1 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/104 = 62%
- 3A D2 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/101 = 63%

- 4A D1 has 16 districts and 99 schools, so 64/99 = 65%
- 4A D2 has 16 districts and 93 schools, so 64/93 = 69%

- 5A D1 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/132 = 48%
- 5A D2 has 16 districts and 104 schools, so 64/119 = 54%

- 6A has 32 districts and 249 schools, so 128/249 = 51%

Statistically, 4A is the class to be in if you want the best chance to make the playoffs. The class you don't want to be in if you want the best chance to make the playoffs: 1A.
Truly was "as luck would have it". I just went to the largest class with predetermined Divisions.

Good stuff, thanks for the journey.

Playoffs: In the DI alignments there are 75 teams so overall the playoff chances are about 43%
7 districts have a 50% chance of making the playoffs
7 districts have a 40% chance of making the playoffs
2 districts have a 33% chance of making the playoffs

Playoffs: In the DII alignments there are 72 teams so overall the playoff chances are about 44%
6 districts have a 50% chance of making the playoffs
9 districts have a 40% chance of making the playoffs
1 districts has a 66% chance of making the playoffs

Please do not add more teams to the playoffs. There are enough teams 45"d during the regular season. In 3A, 11 man football, in bi-district Wall ISD plays Tornillo. Tornillo has an 0-10 record. I would be embarrassed for an 0-10 team to make the playoffs. Forget giving every kid a trophy.
What an embarrassment! 11man football should have a 45 point rule, too.

Back