SXSW could force state basketball tournament to move

Why don't they move it to Rochelle? That's pretty close to the center of Texas and the Yellow Duck could cater the event......... The teams could stay with Flats out to his place............. Maybe cut a little cedar to pay for lodging..........

Since Dallas has all the UIL state football games......

I think they should have all the UIL state BOYS basketball games in San Antonio at the AT&T Center.

I think they should have all the UIL state baseball games in Houston at Minute Made Park (this way the Astros can actually make some money from sales).

track should be at Waco

Golf should be in El Paso

Austin should hold the 1-act play & tennis

Lubbock should host the UIL state GIRLS basketball games at the United Spirit Arena. (once again, it will bring more excitement than the texas tech teams into such a very nice facility)

this way the wealth is shared amongst the state of texas

Not bad Kramer. But it is Arlington, not Dallas. Would someone with little knowledge enlighten me on what South by Southwest is? That made national news this morning when the drunk driver did the bowling number on early morning pedestrians.

It's when all the artsy-fartsy folks get together in Austin to celebrate the finer things in life that we, the unwashed masses, don't appreciate............ Oh yeah, occasionally alcohol and perhaps illicit drugs make their appearance along with idiots driving on sidewalks while other idiots stand and watch.........
In other words it's just Austin being Austin .......

I understand the Drum at Texas University is being torn down. I wish they would build a super-complex for all uil state finals somewhere in the middle of Texas with an overabundance of parking. One price for parking and activities. Plus a HUGE camping area. I was staying in a motel for work in Buda Tx. The first 3 nights were 80 a night. Because of an event in Austin, the last night was 285. Isnt that price gouging?

Problem with the UIL tournament in San Antonio is that the Spurs are out of the AT&T Center for much of February due to the San Antonio Stock Show/Rodeo (about 20 days with set-up and tear down) as are the AHL Rampage (also owned by the Spurs), so they tend to have a lot of home games in late February through mid-March.

I've heard stories about the Erwin Center on its last legs, but the problem here isn't the game location, but the fact that hotel rooms in Austin go through the roof for SXSW. And I think the weekend of the boys tournament is the same weekend as the techie weekend at SXSW, so rooms can double or more per night if you can find them.

A friend of mine from Wisconsin was in this weekend, taking his daughter to check out St. Edwards and said they had to stay in Buda (oh, the humanity...).

Remember, UIL had to move the volleyball tournament from San Marcos this year because the Formula 1 Auto Race in Austin was the same weekend, with hotel rooms impossible to find.

smokeyjoe53 said:
Why don't they move it to Rochelle? That's pretty close to the center of Texas and the Yellow Duck could cater the event......... The teams could stay with Flats out to his place............. Maybe cut a little cedar to pay for lodging..........[/quote

Will the Rochelle girls get dubs on home team, they do make the tournament fairly often...............

LeeMac":1f7z5778 said:
I understand the Drum at Texas University is being torn down. I wish they would build a super-complex for all uil state finals somewhere in the middle of Texas with an overabundance of parking. One price for parking and activities. Plus a HUGE camping area. I was staying in a motel for work in Buda Tx. The first 3 nights were 80 a night. Because of an event in Austin, the last night was 285. Isnt that price gouging?

Why are they tearing down the Drum? It's only slightly over 30 years old.

Too much money and too little sense...

Wasn't too long ago, you coulda bought the entire city of Buda for $285. Now it gets you a cookie-cutter hotel room during SXSW.

According to an article in the SA Express News today, it sounds like the UIL is close to moving the state basketball tournament (both boys and girls) from Austin to the Alamodome in San Antonio. During the TABC (basketball coaches) annual clinic held in San Antonio in May, UIL folks gave some pretty strong hints about the move that led some coaches to make hotel deposits for the March weekends.

A formal announcement from UIL may come in the very near future.

The SA Express News reported this week that UIL is moving the 2015 girls and boys basketball tournaments to the Alamodome in March.

Let's face it. SXSW and $200 hotel rooms as far away as Buda led to the decision.

Reminds me of a song by the Buggles ... let's call my version "Digital killed the basketball star."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hs4Gg7RDnc

Back