TAPPS State Basketball -- March 2/3 @ Mansfield/Ft Worth

1987":1su69zs1 said:
I wish I had that info before I ran off at the mouth/iPhone.
Yes, me too. My whole thing was accountability, but you can't hold some accountable and not everyone else. The more I think about it, even though it seems TAAPS was trying to help them out by providing a district for them to play in, that was a foolish agreement all around.

olderelk":1hhh9vrs said:
1987":1hhh9vrs said:
I wish I had that info before I ran off at the mouth/iPhone.
Yes, me too. My whole thing was accountability, but you can't hold some accountable and not everyone else. The more I think about it, even though it seems TAAPS was trying to help them out by providing a district for them to play in, that was a foolish agreement all around.

Wait a minute, ol' codger. TAPPS, although made up of many Christian-based and sponsored schools DOES have a fair number of schools that are non-religious in nature. It is not solely a religious school group. TAPPS is not, on its face, a religious-schools only league. In fact, it includes three tax-supported schools (Texas School for the Deaf and two prison schools, both of which joined under previous rules which allowed their membership ... and by the way, those three schools are not allowed to join UIL under their rules).

I got into trouble with this on the Islamic schools flap a few years back. My opinion is, Christian vs secular vs Jewish vs Islamic is that heck, we're there so that the kids can compete in sports and academic/music/art competition. I'm not really interested in the squabbles about religion, geopolitical machinations, and such when it comes to lettin' the kids play. If they play by the rules, be it the rules of the game, the rules of competition in the league, and the rules of good sportsmanship, c'mon in ... the water's fine. All that other stuff we can fight about another day.

But TAPPS has decided to acquience to the majority of its members and not schedule events on Sunday (which, by the way, is a "day off" for all UIL events as well). They have made it clear on a number of occasions that state finals events will not be adjusted for religious reasons and schools like Beren and in the past Burton Adventist have agreed to those limitations.

TAPPS has decided to allow schools to adjust regionals games to meet those religious limitations, but until this weekend, did not allow those changes for finals (and basically changed because of the threat of a lawsuit which would involve the venue where the game was originally scheduled).

What I don't like is that Beren said on Monday and Tuesday, well, we wish we could play. We asked you again and you said no, so thanks for at least listening to our plea.

But we sure didn't do much to stop a couple mommas and poppas who took this into their own hands. I guess it would take an administrator with, shall we say politely, guts, to say, sorry, mommas and poppas. You can get all the court orders you want, I will not permit my school to be involved in the tournament since we will abide by the decision of the organization where we FREELY joined and AGREED to the limitation that we are now faced with.

But like I've said, it isn't the rules. It's society today.

Actually got some finals:

1A Boys: San Antonio Gateway Christian 47, Boerne Geneva 37

1A Girls: Granbury Happy Hill over Boerne Geneva (no score on TAPPS website)

3A Girls: Amarillo San Jacinto Christian 46, Tomball Rosehill Christian 37

Still waiting for the 2A Boys finals. Sun's still shining at my house, so I guess we got a couple hours to wait for tipoff on that one.

EastTexasCoach":2eyr5qb3 said:
1987":2eyr5qb3 said:
It's 8:15 pm friday night. I'm sitting across the gym from HB coach.

If i'm not mistaken he's not Jewish.
Aren't most schools,
even private schools,
equal opportunity employers?
A coach could theoretically be a satanist
and still land a job.

Dogface":28kuyrez said:
Aren't most schools,
even private schools,
and still land a job.

Depends. What's his win-loss record?

Serioously, I think most Christian schools would expect their coaches to be believers and hopefully a member of a Christian church, not necessarily that of the employer or the employer's denomination.

Lifegatesports, I agree with what you said.
I don't know if I made myself clear, but I stand by what I said.
I wasn't knocking TAAPS for allowing Beren to join, in fact I admired them for doing so.
I didn't have anything religious in mind.
When I said it was a foolish agreement all around, I meant human nature being what it is, it was only a matter of time before this happened. It was going to seem like some well deserving kids were being deprived of a chance to get what they had worked for, even though their school had agreed they would step aside.
In other words TAAPS was damned if they do and damned if they don't, in the public eye, but they had to hold everyone accountable.

Dogface":3s7u12ij said:
EastTexasCoach":3s7u12ij said:
1987":3s7u12ij said:
It's 8:15 pm friday night. I'm sitting across the gym from HB coach.

If i'm not mistaken he's not Jewish.
Aren't most schools,
even private schools,
and still land a job.

I was trying to clear up the assumption why was the coach at the gym scouting during Sabbath by stating that the he was not Jewish. I work at Emery High School which is another Jewish school in Houston and I myself as believe the entire coaching staff is not Jewish as well. We also employ non-Jewish teachiing staff.

Let me just say that there are a great group of kids playing a heck of a game. They are not playing for you or me but for their love of the game. It's their game and regardless who wins they have done well. I am sure if the shoe were on the other foot opioid would be different Hats off the the young men of Beren. To all the parents who have their panties in a wad. Shame on you and way to show those Christian values that we should be modeling for our kids. That's part of the reason I send my kids to a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL. God bless you all

AWSOME,AWSOME, AWSOME GAME. In the end the 2 best teams were on the court. No what ifs. The Houston Beren boys deserved to be there by their play this year. They have a ton of heart and left absolutely nothing out there.
Way to go ACHS. State champs in football and now basketball this year. Unbelievable year. Baseball double header Tuesday in Lorain. All the pressure is on the baseball coach now.
PROUD OF YOU PANTHERS !!!!!

Here's a hoot.

Today's San Antonio Express News sports section had two one-paragraph recaps of the two local finals involving TAPPS schools, both the 1A finals. The boys final involved two San Antonio area schools (SA Gateway beating Boerne Geneva) and the girls final, a loss by Geneva.

There was an approximately 12 column inch article about Beren's loss, written by a staffer from the Houston Chronicle (both papers are owned by Hearst). I had to read it THREE times to confirm that the name of the school that Beren lost to was NOT MENTIONED ... they were only referred to as the "Panthers."

I ain't the smartest guy in the world, but I always thought that basic facts (who, what, where, when) were part of EVERY story.

lifegatesports":12ypgv9u said:
Here's a hoot.

Today's San Antonio Express News sports section had two one-paragraph recaps of the two local finals involving TAPPS schools, both the 1A finals. The boys final involved two San Antonio area schools (SA Gateway beating Boerne Geneva) and the girls final, a loss by Geneva.

There was an approximately 12 column inch article about Beren's loss, written by a staffer from the Houston Chronicle (both papers are owned by Hearst). I had to read it THREE times to confirm that the name of the school that Beren lost to was NOT MENTIONED ... they were only referred to as the "Panthers."

I ain't the smartest guy in the world, but I always thought that basic facts (who, what, where, when) were part of EVERY story.

The "story" had nothing to do with basketball.

In fairness, I just checked the same writer's work, which is featured on the front page of the Houston Chronicle website (www.chron.com).

He did identify the opponent as Abilene Christian.

But as of five minutes ago, the article on the SA Express News website does not identify the TAPPS 2A Championship team.

lifegatesports":35t4vbvo said:
Shane ... if you and the other good folks from Abilene Christian (and for that matter, Logos Prep, since some of their kids will be awarded their all-tournament honors following the game tonight) are inconvenienced and have additional expenses, you might want to send your recieipts and list of those expenses (of which I know you will try to keep as low as possible) to:

I wouldn't dream of doing that, even if we had stayed another night in a hotel last night. I was just frustrated and "urked" that they would threaten a law suit to change the rules after agreeing to the rules originally.

I got over it.

It was a GREAT game last night. Many of the Beren fans were very gracious after the game. Their team is VERY good and very well-coached. They played their hearts out with class, as did the Panthers.

Thanks, Shane, for reminding us that it was about a game that two very motivated teams played for the title.

I can jaw and complain all about stuff, but that's stuff we adults made into a problem.

Oh, by the way, I checked the Express News website again. after church. As of 12:30, still no mention of Abilene Christian as the opponent. I decided to send them an e-mail mentioning that, so let's see how long that lasts.

Abilene Christian still hasn't been recognized as the team that Beren lost to yesterday in the story in the SA Express News as of 8:08 pm. And I did send an email to [email protected] to inform them of the omission.

Back