Support this site.... and the suggestion box is open

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
OK <---- (this is an joke)

I want to first of all thank everyone who has been supportive over the years. This is the 21st season I have been ranking six-man teams and I have enjoyed almost all of them (another joke). Really, over the years I have met so many great people and had opportunities to travel to so many great towns. So many coaches, fans and players have been responsible for the success of this site.

Of course this site has seen many changes. It really wasn't a site. In 1993, it was a piece of paper I walked around with and handed out, then it became a newsletter in late 1994 (with the website updated after the fact, in 1995 or '96) and finally a full-fledged website with its own domain name. BTW, does anyone remember the old URL (that was brutal)?

The website has gone through many changes as well. I think I stopped the newsletter after the '98 season. 1999 was a tough year. I was working at Trinity and that was the only year I missed the state championship game. The last three years have been more difficult as well, since I worked at UT and was technically barred from openly writing about individual players and such. Of course having kids has slowed down the number of games I can actually attend each year as well.

To be honest, I miss the games more than anything. I miss driving out on a Friday afternoon and seeing the beautiful state of Texas, stopping to say hello in six-man towns I pass through on the way to my final destination. I miss showing up and a pep rally about to start and catching the excitement of an entire community before a big game. I miss passing buses and honking and waving at teams on their way to a game. I miss seeing old friends or having random people walk up and say hello. I miss walking the sidelines and really feeling the energy of the game.

I really don't know where I am going with this.

I am glad to be 'back'. I am fully onboard again with the website. Which is probably a good thing, considering the fact we are consistently having 120 game weeks. Back in the early 90's, 45-50 games was a big week.

Slowly but surely I am adding features to the site and trying to 'upgrade' it. Behind the scenes I am updating code and fixing things that have been neglected way too long or should've been automated. Lots of things on the 'list'. For instance, I have been working on an app. Now apps for the most part are worthless, UNLESS they add something the site cannot. Where I see that is in score input. I have a scheme for that, but with so many games, it gets a little button-intensive (as you can see by the LIVE SCOREBOARD input page). This will be a process of trial and error.

But I want your input as I move forward. Not for app stuff really. As some of us have discussed, that doesn't really matter at a game where cell coverage may stink... I am concerned with the nuts and bolts of the site.

Let me know what you think and like. I am not saying I will do it. I am just collecting ideas. Quite honestly, the entire website is being redesigned. I had a version to roll out, but scrapped it, as I started to rethink everything. Right now I want to clean everything up and get everything up to the level I have grown to expect... but seriously, let me know.

Lastly, please support the site. You know how. Visit the site and check things out. Click those things that need clicking. That's how I pay for the site. It is much appreciated. Tell your friends and family... Do it. I insist... LOL

Have a great day

Granger Huntress
aka granger

Can you put in a forum dedicated to the fine art of hijacking a serious thread? Make Cowboy and OBK the moderators/instructors of that one.

aaka, guru.........

Thanks. Inadequate perhaps but no words can express how the majority of us feel about you and the site you have dedicated so much to.

oldfat&bald":2powl3uk said:
Can you put in a forum dedicated to the fine art of hijacking a serious thread? Make Cowboy and OBK the moderators/instructors of that one.
That wouldn't be safe. We don't need too many people to get good at hijacking.

One of my favorite sites. Thanks Granger for all the work you do.
I would like to suggest that on the main scoreboard page, the spread be put out to the side of the game score. I like to look and see who did or didn't cover and who just got blown out of the water.

loveofgame":1f6afne0 said:
I think you've done an amazing job running the site. The only thing that comes to mind is that the page where it shows the progression of rating and past games is still showing last year's results. For example here is Abbott's currently:

http://www.sixmanfootball.com/team.php?t=1001

Once again though, thanks for everything you do.

Yes, I was made aware of that one the other day and am about to update it... completely forgot

21 and just think I only missed the first year!
You have been doing this a long time. If you don't do something at this point, it can't be done.

Thank you for what you do for Six man and the effort you put into the site! Only thing I dislike is in the individual district forums, old posts from before realignments are still in the forums. A bit of a mess!

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":1qgp7nqs said:
Thank you for what you do for Six man and the effort you put into the site! Only thing I dislike is in the individual district forums, old posts from before realignments are still in the forums. A bit of a mess!

agree. toughest is when teams split off and a few are here and there... will try and clean this up, especially when we get to the NEW alignment in the spring.

Although I am currently not in sixman, I still come to this site several times a day. I have always enjoyed sixman and miss it very much. I would like to see a stat page and district standings either inside each district link or an overall link like the rankings page. I also liked your podcasts when you had them.

Thanks

Coach Lawdermilk

I have always wished that after I have logged into my user account on the site that I would be taken to the home page and not the message board page, or left on the same page I was viewing when I decided to log in. But this is nit-picking on my part.

I would like to see some different pictures on the opening page. Just a suggestion, not a complaint. I appreciate your dedication to six man, Mr. Granger!

Granger Sir,

You do an absolute outstanding job with this site. Thank you!!!

Suggestion: put a button on the message board to return to the home page.

My favorite page for sure. I appreciate that you have put together a site for the young men and women who are in 6 man schools. Super wicked site. The button that would return you to the home page from the message board is a good idea. A stat page would be neat also as was previously mentioned. I dont know if you do this already or if someone on here does, but sometimes we are a ways away from home, a computer, and some us still have dumb phones, but a number that people could possibly text scores too on the home page might be an easier way to get scores in faster.

i like the site also , the suggestion about Texts would be helpful , i do send our scores by text to cowboy at the end of quarters, i also like the button idea to go to the home page

Maybe a spot on the home page listing Doc WeeWee's contact info for his score network would be helpful? I know he's pretty good about getting finals into the site.

Back