State championship future

Before the division split, old District 6 consisted of: Sanderson, Grandfalls, Buena Vista, Marathon, Balmorhea, Fort Davis, Sierra Blanca and Dell City. In 1992 it also included Fort Hancock.
Thing is though, does Grandfalls- Royalty win a state championship much less get to the big game without the division split? And the answer is no

Thank you for your input. District 1 in D1/D2 is great example. I agree that the UIL would not take 3, most likely 4 granted the 8 team district hypothetical. The cutoff number for D1/D2 pretty much raises every time realignment happens. 104.5 may jump to 114.5 eventually... who knows. My question to you is would you rather have 16, 8 team districts with 4 going to the playoffs, where the best will eventually meet up with the best? Or have a D1/D2 division with multiple 3 and 4 team districts, teams having 1-2 wins making the playoffs and getting slaughtered in 1st round?
I like it the way it is. I really think combining all schools will kill some D2 programs, some (in certain areas of the state) will be placed in a district where they would very rarely have a chance at a winning record, much less a playoff berth.

And I'm not going to look it up, but exactly how many 1 or 2 win teams made the playoffs this season (in either division)? I honestly don't know. I will be willing to bet there aren't very many. I know there are several 2A-6A teams that make the playoffs with 1 or 2 wins (even a couple with no wins), and they use the system you want to use. Not sure that's a good argument.

If we go to one division in six-man, would the 45ing stop?

Strictly from a fan perspective the split if awful. Both 6-Man games being 45ers is an bad look.

I'd like to see the champs play one more game, against each other, rather than one division. If Benjamin played Westbrook, who is 45'ing who? I just don't think a 45 would happen in that scenario.

Any combined districts you make there will be one or two strong teams (probably Larger enrollment) and one two or more small enrollment schools Who maybe one or maybe more than one year can compete with the larger schools. Consistently getting beat eventually leads to fan dissastaction player dissatisfaction and school dissatisfaction and may lead dropping the program. You look at all the classifications and find one small school that consistently is in playoffs. Very few. It’s a given that move Ins coach hires (inadvertant or not recruiting)(kids know kids parents know others and want to be champions so they move to expectations. It happens on every level (usually starts in Jr.Hi. Making it legal) but you combine the districts there will be i would predict MORE 45’s during the season. Those that really understand football (6 man in general) at any time in any game one injury one good player one good coach can turn an expected close game into a 45. D1 vs. D2 every year not gonna happen. Can be scheduled in season. Bragging rights belong to the winner. Coaches know how good they’re going to be The two expected state champions could schedule in season. Jayton classic is great example of opportunities. You want to kill football in some D2 schools combine the divisions And watch it erode over the years. You cannot control or stop 45 games by combining the divisions.

I played at Blanket in the 90’s when it was combined. if my memory is right we went something close to a 5-5 record a few of those years, and all games were 45 rule games. I believe it needs to stay the way it is, combining again would do more damage to 6-man than good.

Thing is though, does Grandfalls- Royalty win a state championship much less get to the big game without the division split? And the answer is no
The answer is yes. After GR lost that 1st game to WV, they turned into a different animal. They had the 2 best backs in 1A that season and it wasn't close.

The answer is yes. After GR lost that 1st game to WV, they turned into a different animal. They had the 2 best backs in 1A that season and it wasn't close.
I agree they had some dudes, not sure they could have gotten by Crowell that year though (I think that’s who came out of the west in D1 that year).

I agree they had some dudes, not sure they could have gotten by Crowell that year though (I think that’s who came out of the west in D1 that year).
D2 Follett beat D1 Crowell that year and lost to Grandfalls in the D2 semis. I think Grandfalls definitely had a chance against Crowell.

I know there are several 2A-6A teams that make the playoffs with 1 or 2 wins (even a couple with no wins), and they use the system you want to use. Not sure that's a good argument.
I wouldn’t say 2A-6A. Most of the 5A-6A are consolidated to the urban centers. However, I do know a few 2A-4A examples where it’s “make your playoff shirts” in August.
I just wish some of those small school 11man teams would bite the bullet and play sixman.
There’s 3 teams I really want to transition to Sixman (and they all have 1A numbers)
1. Munday (73). I know they hold on to those 2011 and 2012 seasons thinking they’ll get back but I believe they’d fit right in. Plus they logistically wouldn’t be in a bad district.
2. Iraan (86). Same thing with them holding on to 2016. The question with them is which district would they fall in, 6 or 7?
3. Rocksprings (81). I’ve seen them play in person 2021 and saw a game online in 2022, and it’s kind of an average team. However, they would a tough running team in six man. They would probably mess up district 13 and 16 because of Menard, McDade and Prairie Lea.

I don’t know what you mean by “small” but I’m assuming you mean less than 95

I hate to chime in, but we have been around for several years and have been a part of Division II and Division I. We have had the good fortune to play in the state game in several different locations, when it was split and when it wasn't so I am going to just voice my OPINION.

In 1997 Borden County won it's first ever state title, only 1 division and the State game was played at Abilene Wylie. So, it truly felt like we were the STATE champions since it was only one division and at the time all state games found a neutral site and played the game so this was a truly amazing atmosphere. Interesting enough, the most exciting game of that journey was actually the 2nd round game against Grandfalls Royalty. That game to this day that game, played at Garden City is one of the loudest most exciting games we have ever been involved in during my 32 years of coaching.

In 2006, the UIL split 6-man into two divisions. Having played in the one division conference and having some success and now coaching (assistant - not head coach), in 1997 state championship game we were initially not very excited about the split. But, after going thru a difficult non-district schedule full of Division I teams (we were division II in 06-09), and then getting to our district schedule and having some success, in fact we played 3 rounds deep getting beat by the eventual state runner-ups. This success and seeing the excitement our kids, our community, and our school exhibited during this time made me change my opinion a bit. Success has a tendency to make everything about your school year go by faster, less issues, etc.... Fast forward a couple of years and we make it to the state game, in 2008 we played Woodson who was playing in their second state title game with virtually the same team as the year before in their narrow loss to Motley County at San Angelo. We played Woodson at Frenship for the state title. This game was a 45 job. The next year, we played Highland in a double header at Shotwell stadium. Our game was a defensive dream game with the final being 28 to 14. This incidentally was the lowest scoring game in six-man history, which was followed by the highest scoring game as Garden City beat Strawn 122 to 88 (I believe this is right). I truly believed that our division II teams were every bit as good as the Division I teams that year. The next year, we were bumped up to Division I, we graduated a good portion of our team that season and Garden City the defending champions only graduated 1 or 2 (again I believe this is correct). So fresh off of being on top in Division II we were now 4 students over the number and playing division I ball. We played the eventual repeat state champions twice that year and lost to them 40 to 39 and 44 to 42. (My point here is, in my opinion, the top teams in Division II can compete with the top Division I teams, I just believe that there aren't as many Division II teams that are on the Division I level if that makes sense). I believe GC beat Throckmorton at Shotwell in Abilene.

Fast Forward to 2015, when there was talk of trying to allow the Six-man game play at the same site as the 2-6A schools, but also having many folks talk about leaving the game at Shotwell for the state title game. As Coach Matlock eluded too, Shotwell is a Stadium you can play any round game there and that's just what we did in 2015 to show that we could play there any day and that Playing at a venue like the 11-man teams were playing at would be a very neat experience for the kids. So, in 2016, the UIL listened to our proposal of same site, same time and they brought the six-man games to AT&T. As a coach and a huge fan of the Cowboys it was a dream come true for me, but more importantly, it was a dream come true for the kids. This is something that they will get to talk about the rest of their lives. And I can safely say, whether its, Borden County, Loraine, Benjamin, Balmorhea, Abbott, May, Jonesboro, Strawn, it was a dream come true for these communities. If we have only one division, then there are several schools, kids and communities that would never experience just how incredible this experience is for all involved. I will say this too, the UIL has treated us all just like we were the biggest 6A school as well. It just truly felt like they were excited to have us there and I truly hope they continue to allow the 6-man schools this opportunity to see 4 small communities in the State of Texas what it's like to play, coach, cheer and support their school in the biggest game of the season in the biggest stadium they will ever play in.

I am truly sorry for the longwinded typing. I am old and have probably lost my point. I do like that the game is in Cowboy stadium. I do like that we have two divisions and I hope it stays that way. I hate that we can't always get a great game on that final wednesday of the football season, but I think that can be said at every level.

Take care and God bless, I apologize for my two cents. TR

I hate to butt in especially against Coach Trey Richey. I think the first state six man games at AT&T was in 2013. Played again in 2014. In 2015 was the Houston mess. Six man in Abilene in 2015. 2016 and since, AT&T. Coach Richey, I’m older than you but I have not been to as many six man games as you so I don’t have as many to keep up with. The first six man game I ever went to was State Championship in Abilene in 2012. My brother and I talked about how it should be at AT&T and the next year it was. I also have the six man shirt from 2013.

Shirt I still own from AT&T 2013. Six man played on Saturday December 14th, 2013 and 11 man started following Thursday. We wound up setting with Crowell for their game and I think the whole town was there. The teacher we were setting with was pointing out people that had flown from East Coast, West Coast, and all in between. That is what Six Man Football is all about.AC24C1DC-09AE-4F16-BA16-E367D9783E48.jpeg

Attachments

• C4727F41-2FB0-40E1-99C0-7AB5CCBE54A9.jpeg
    C4727F41-2FB0-40E1-99C0-7AB5CCBE54A9.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 16
You are absolutely correct, i meant the first time that all of them were played there the same weekend. I didn't clarify that, my apologies.
Glad we all got on the same page. I agree 100% with having the games at AT&T and I like the split. Sometimes the state games are one sided in all classes. I saw great games in the playoffs. Keep sharing your knowledge and personal involvement. Thank you.

Having played two championships at Shotwell, I love the idea of going back there. It was fire both games. Huge turnouts.The announcer was epic. Is he still around? It kept the fans closer to the field; which is the essence of 6 man.

I hate all these new stadiums with stands so far away from the field. I don’t even like Richlands home side. Too far away from the field!

Austin would be sweet.

Gordon Wood Stadium is central to everyone.

Collaborate with local media/ independent media to get those boys more publicity/ social media clout.

Every division does this except 6 man. Why is that?

Cowboy stadium is great. I got to play in an alumni game there, but I think it’s over rated. I know I’m alone on that one.

I’m hoping for an independent media company to rise up and expose the game similar to how Deion Sanders does on his YouTube channel.

Back