Something ive always wondered

Oldman1

11-man fan
I've always wondered out of all the people on here that make picks, predictions or always seem to comment. How many have played sixman high school football? Not that it makes a difference either way just always wondered

I was an 11 man footballer. But since I moved to Savoy, I have become a sixman fan. A LOT more fun to watch than 11 man . Or to me anyway.

I played starting in 6th grade all the way till we beat Loraine and stayed home in a 3 way tie for district champs my senior year...3 years of jr High and 4 years of HS-2 of which were playoff years, that good enough bonafides?

Yes sir really wasn't trying to bonefy anyone just was wondering I truly understand anyones love for sixman its all ive ever known my dad, uncles and me played and now my son plays and I as well played all 7 years

I'm still somewhat what you would wanna call a youngster ;)
Graduated 2012 from Petersburg. Got an ugly loss in the regional final game against Valley. 46-0. Good Times...

Nope........ started following sixman when Cherokee moved up from 11-man and I had several friends playing there. DSW taught at Richland Springs back in the '90's ............ had 2 great-nephews who played for Throckmorton and managed to make most of their games for 8 years.........

......... and I manage to listen to Cowboy when he calls.............

CowboyP":3nreco3q said:
I played in JH, and was on the team most of one year in HS. I was short, fat, slow, and never got on the field so I quit.
You should prolly say you retired early since you now a role model and all.

I managed to get eight years in. (suited up as a 5th grader) That was normal at our school. I have been around sixman all of my life in one way our another. (the tires are starting to get more than a little worn)

Smokey, i graduated in '71 and played against Charlie Grey for three years. He was more than a little fast.

Yep, Charlie & his dad JD used to pull their boots off at the Fritztown races and beat horses at a 100 yds. Everybody said JD was quicker than Charlie.

Oldman1":2g2drdfb said:
Yes sir really wasn't trying to bonefy anyone just was wondering I truly understand anyones love for sixman its all ive ever known my dad, uncles and me played and now my son plays and I as well played all 7 years

I appreciate the non bonefying non qualification regarding the love of sixman part. I wasn't fat like Cowboy but I was slow running. I found a niche because of quickness at nosetackle in 11 man my (last) 9th grade year, Jr Hi, not freshman year. I quit to work after school and because friends quit to do the same, the camaraderie was gone. I think that's what I love the most about sixman. It's there in virtually every team, win or loose, and among the fans. Then again the speed of the game is so exciting and fun. Last, I've seen it happen, a fat or slow say center can be ignored because of it, get loose and catch a Touchdown Pass.
That don't happen in 11 man.
Glad I married a Sixman cheerleader.

ol' gus":2ixa23cj said:
CowboyP":2ixa23cj said:
I played in JH, and was on the team most of one year in HS. I was short, fat, slow, and never got on the field so I quit.
I prefer to be honest and admit I regret quitting.

CowboyP":3lh12hin said:
ol' gus":3lh12hin said:
CowboyP":3lh12hin said:
I prefer to be honest and admit I regret quitting.

BeanGo! Me too..

Started playing 11 man Jr. High and High school in the 60's. Coached 11 man in 70's,80's and 90's. Started coaching 6 man 5 years ago. Will never coach 11 man again! I'd probably fall asleep.

I played 11 man football for many years. Coached 11 man football for 14 years, and then took my first sixman job over five years ago. I enjoy everything about the small-town atmosphere.

Never played 6-man. First 6-man game I ever saw, I was the stat guy. I was the stat guy for 11 years. Then I was a cheer dad. Now I sit on my porch of an evening and shoot unsuspecting hipsters with my pellet gun.

rainjacktx":224m2xsz said:
Never played 6-man. First 6-man game I ever saw, I was the stat guy. I was the stat guy for 11 years. Then I was a cheer dad. Now I sit on my porch of an evening and shoot unsuspecting hipsters with my pellet gun.

There's hipsters in Silverton?

Played 6-man from 7th-12th. But from 2nd grade on I played with same kids all the way through High School. That's what is great about small town. We would put a team together and go to the bigger town and play. So flag football 2nd-3rd grade. Tackle from 4th-6th.
Another interesting fact my grandmother, who passed in January of 16, has had children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren continuously in our small town school since 1953! The youngest one is less than a year old! The tradition will carry on!

A moms perspective....
My husband and I grew up in Sweetwater so when we moved to a sixman town and had four kids.. we went to our fiirst pep rally and football game while they were in elementary. We were shocked! What in the world did we just watch? That's not a pep ralley and the football game? Three of my kids are boys and we wanted sports to be a part of their lives, but the decision to stay in the small town was tuff. Do we move them to a bigger school where they have a better chance at getting a scholarship so they can play college ball? My youngest has never wavered, even when he still wanted to be Spider-Man when he grew up, in his belief that's he was going to be a NFL football player one day. What I did not take into consideration during the first few years....the fact that as each day went by, the school, community and the pure athleticism of football players that play both sides of the ball made that decision harder and harder. Six man football is addicting. The young men who play and the fans are completely didicated to the six man way of life. We're my kids super athletes? No, but they were able to do more than kids at an 11 man school. My youngest is still in highschool and is a Varsity player. He has a determination to be the best and it shows. The current team has several amazing athletes, but what sets them apart from the others...they work as a team not for individual glory but for the good of the team. Workhorses who never get recognition and those who get all the glory know and acknowledge that it takes all of them. What town am I talking about? Well you will just have to figure that out when I am at the state game on the 14th supporting a team you never saw coming. Will he make it to,the NFL? Why not? Somebody does.

Back