Six-Man or 1A

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Ok now we are two weeks into the new season. Curious to know how people are referring to our classifications so far...are people now saying "Class 1A"...or are they still just saying "6-Man"? And which would everyone prefer?

It will always be sixman to any real sixman fan! If the UIL wanted a 6a then they should have made a real 6a with schools like Plano and Katy

jaybirdarcher":yjxm1frf said:
I will now date myself by saying we were once called claa B. All things change.

Class B played 11 man with the same numbers or less than 6 man does
Oh, and i'll stay with 6 Man

Back in the day, there were schools that could have played 6, 8, or 11 man in Class B. I know of a few 11 man schools that had the attendance to play 6 man or 8 man, but refused as they did not consider either one real football.

Most of those schools are now in 6 man......

Garrett2810":3ssw2bhq said:
It will always be sixman to any real sixman fan! If the UIL wanted a 6a then they should have made a real 6a with schools like Plano and Katy

That's exactly what I'm thinking why not make a 6a classification of schools that are 2500 and bigger in their own class? Then leave everybody else the same and just split them by two divisions 5a-6man. Then now the larger classifications are getting 4 teams in the playoffs what is up with that? Why can't sixman get three teams in the playoffs?

Schwarzenegger":xhys6mek said:
Garrett2810":xhys6mek said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking why not make a 6a classification of schools that are 2500 and bigger in their own class? Then leave everybody else the same and just split them by two divisions 5a-6man. Then now the larger classifications are getting 4 teams in the playoffs what is up with that? Why can't sixman get three teams in the playoffs?

Did we miss all of the discussions on just HOW BAD an idea it is to have three teams in the playoffs? It is bad enough in a lot of cases to have 2 teams. So many 2nd place teams are such weak sisters going in. Of course I have expressed this before and did extensive comparisons and studies to bear out my opinion.

Round and round the mulberry bush ....

Not all 2nd and 3rd place teams are all weak links. For example back in my day the team I was on had a three way tie for district champs. The reason we didn't advance was because of the point system. If they had allowed 3 teams to go from the district there's no doubt in my mind we would of advance further than the 2 who went. There has to be other teams this has happened to. I mean how would you like for your season to end with being in a tie for first but not making the playoffs. How bout in 2013 Knox City had a really good year but were in the same district as Crowell and Throckmorton. They ended up getting third place but if they were in any other district they would of probably been district champs or runner ups?

Schwarzenegger":n0bhs3u1 said:
Not all 2nd and 3rd place teams are all weak links. For example back in my day the team I was on had a three way tie for district champs. The reason we didn't advance was because of the point system. If they had allowed 3 teams to go from the district there's no doubt in my mind we would of advance further than the 2 who went. There has to be other teams this has happened to. I mean how would you like for your season to end with being in a tie for first but not making the playoffs. How bout in 2013 Knox City had a really good year but were in the same district as Crowell and Throckmorton. They ended up getting third place but if they were in any other district they would of probably been district champs or runner ups?

Yes but here it goes again, the talk about the very very very few exceptions to the rule. The bigger number is all of the weak sisters that do make and then have to try and not get embarrassed and worse yet get kids hurt.

To satisfy what ? Remember when District Champion meant District Champion and you went to the playoffs and all others who came in NOT the District Champion stayed home. There a winners and there are losers. Guess what ??

crying-smiley-face.gif
The ones who didn't win aren't winners.
crying-smiley-face.gif

I never have seen the real harm in Non DIstrict winners doing one or more of three things:
  • 1) Starting Basketball Season
    2) Starting Offseason
    3) Going to watch playoff games of teams that actually won their district …

I think it will take some time for "1A" to become the accepted term if it ever does in the "6 man" world. I would surmise the print media and online scoreboard listings will have it under "1A" although lubbockonline.com is now listing all area scores under Varsity Football with no classification designations or grouping of classifications.

The radio scoreboard show I listen to is doing a mixed bag when it comes to reporting scores but the large majority of the time the scores are referred to as "6 man" scores. They talked about the change the first week but less mention of it this week.

I prefer the "6 man" descriptor. It is a different game altogether and I can see the logic in the specific designation.

I do like the change to "Week One" instead of "Week Zero". Never did like "Week Zero".

Back before the split to DI and DII, when districts had 6 or 7 teams in them, I saw the point of there being two teams from a district going to the playoffs. With these 4 team districts, it's harder to justify. How can anyone claim that 3 teams need to make the playoffs from these 4 team districts.

Sometimes the old maxim, " More is better", does not always ring true. Do we really want to see a strong district winner take on a weaker 3rd place team with maybe 1 win on the season? To me this doesn't advance the sport it just enhances the disparity of some teams.

Schwarzenegger":1e4qx2or said:
I don't see what it would hurt letting three teams into the playoffs? Heck they do it in basketball.

Well heck, let's just let all 4 or 5 in and not have district play, just go from the non district schedule directly into 587 rounds of the playoffs. Let's just make the playoffs totally meaningless.

1 is great, 2 is making a place for 1st place loser and the rest is just feel goodish everybody is a winner nonsense. IMHO

Back